PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mistake to a Maniac?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistake to a Maniac?

Hello, I played the following hand against, what I perceived to be, a maniac. I'm in the cutoff and have KQs. A very playable hand from this position. In 3 of he last 4 hands I have seen him shove with QQ, 82o, Q3o. He has lost each time and is now shoving from UTG. It's folded to me and I'm confident that the other players behind me are going to fold if I call, as I have only been involved in one hand so far. However, this is not a play I'd normally make especially this early in a tournament. I have omitted the outcome of the hand.
    4 Time Bracelet Winner

KQs is a decent hand... but it's way too early to be putting your tourney life on the line without a made hand.
    How to handle it is to let the maniac go, fold until you get an absolute monster (category 1 hand), then let them double you.
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

If the guy is truly a maniac, it's a pretty profitable spot to get it in, you're about a 2-1 favorite over an 80% range. You're even a small favorite over as tight as a 20% range. But you also have a couple stacks behind you that can wake up with a hand, and it's still level 1. If the structure is slow it's ok to pass this. If your confidence in the read isn't strong, lean towards passing this as well. If it's a fast structure, or a strong read, and you're playing to win, I think it's a call.
      Head Live Trainer
      Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by JWK24 View Post
        without a made hand.
        Define made hand. For example, villain has already flipped up Q3o in one of these spots, if he flips that up again do we have a made hand?
        Head Live Trainer
        Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I'm down. KQ's got some great blockers too. And if this is a turbo then from what you've seen I like the call.

but it's way too early to be putting your tourney life on the line without a made hand
          I'd rather have KQs than 22...
          4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by TheLangolier View Post
            Define made hand. For example, villain has already flipped up Q3o in one of these spots, if he flips that up again do we have a made hand?
            I'm just used to seeing that type of maniac having ace/rag way too often. If you could rule out an ace, I totally agree... been burnt a bunch of times in the past with KQs or KJs to ace/rag from maniac players like that.
            The type of tourney that it's from would make a difference in it too. Turbo MTT, I'd be alot more likely to play it.... PSO game, especially with the old format, I'd pass.

Actually, this type of situation made me start taking notes on what players will play like a maniac with any ace, or any 2 suited cards.
            Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

All i can think to say is how did Patr1c1o fold with only 80 chips behind?

Grade b
              I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Jcrondps View Post
                It's folded to me and I'm confident that the other players behind me are going to fold if I call, as I have only been involved in one hand so far. However, this is not a play I'd normally make especially this early in a tournament.
                I don't recommend you ever make that kind of assumption during the early stage of a tournament. That said, your read on the maniac is much more important in your decision making process here than worrying about the blinds waking up with a monster.

Comment

Working...
                X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.