PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quads

Does any one think I could have gotten the same result if he hadn't had a pair ?

PokerStars Game #65395426259: Tournament #416802142, $0.50+$0.05 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level IX (200/400) - 2011/08/01 18:08:10 ET
    Table '416802142 4' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
    Seat 1: spade69er (6076 in chips)
    Seat 3: foxyman1976 (28014 in chips)
    Seat 5: 3D ICEMAN (12605 in chips)
    Seat 6: Bill Curran (11518 in chips)
    Seat 8: blue_cat222 (15090 in chips)
    Seat 9: helpme12385 (9197 in chips)
    spade69er: posts the ante 50
    foxyman1976: posts the ante 50
    3D ICEMAN: posts the ante 50
    Bill Curran: posts the ante 50
    blue_cat222: posts the ante 50
    helpme12385: posts the ante 50
    3D ICEMAN: posts small blind 200
    Bill Curran: posts big blind 400
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Bill Curran [As 9d]
    blue_cat222: folds
    helpme12385 said, "gg sed"
    helpme12385: folds
    spade69er: calls 400
    foxyman1976: folds
    3D ICEMAN: folds
    Bill Curran: checks
    *** FLOP *** [9c 9s 9h]
    spade69er: bets 400
    Bill Curran: calls 400
    *** TURN *** [9c 9s 9h] [Jc]
    spade69er: bets 5226 and is all-in
    Bill Curran: calls 5226
    *** RIVER *** [9c 9s 9h Jc] [Tc]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    Bill Curran: shows [As 9d] (four of a kind, Nines)
    spade69er: shows [2s 2h] (a full house, Nines full of Deuces)
    Bill Curran collected 12552 from pot
    spade69er finished the tournament in 6th place
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 12552 | Rake 0
    Board [9c 9s 9h Jc Tc]
    Seat 1: spade69er showed [2s 2h] and lost with a full house, Nines full of Deuces
    Seat 3: foxyman1976 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: 3D ICEMAN (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 6: Bill Curran (big blind) showed [As 9d] and won (12552) with four of a kind, Nines
    Seat 8: blue_cat222 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: helpme12385 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

I paused for a while after he bet the flop.. Is there any way I could have got my chips in if he didn't have a hand ? i.e. AK or AQ etc

3 Time Bracelet Winner

I think you got lucky bill, if he wasnt an idiot you would not get paid off like that.. any J 10 or any PP beats him, let alone your 9 I like how you played it though. Very nice hand

Comment

I don't think he played it horribly. I don't think he played it great either, but anyway... It was a protection bet. Obviously not thought through, and probably pretty -EV, but there was a good reason there.

If he had two overcards, I know many players who would get that in, but typically not by means of calling it off. Your best bet would probably have been to induce a reraise somehow.

Comment

if he was going to push a small pkt pair, I'd have shoved on the flop if I were him. That way you wouldn't let anyone have a free card to draw at beating him.

It may or may not get you as much value in a game with experienced players, but a check on the flop against weaker ones (especially in the small $$ online tournies), I've found that it's better to check the flop and let the others bet, smooth call until the river, then raise the river (or bet the river if acting before the other players betting). If nobody in the hand hits a pair, then you're not getting any value anyway... but the longer you can keep people around to hit a pair for a full house... the better your chance of getting paid off.
        Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
        X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.