PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monster time early

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster time early

know it was very early in tourney,but feel ive been playing my monster holds to passive,is this better*********** # 1 **************
    PokerStars Game #63900003243: Tournament #397948357, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2011/06/29 9:36:00 NZT [2011/06/28 17:36:00 ET]
    Table '397948357 17' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
    Seat 1: BARRYDOGG378 (1460 in chips)
    Seat 2: URIAH983 (1410 in chips)
    Seat 3: muckuup42 (1470 in chips) is sitting out
    Seat 4: Onedayintime (1515 in chips)
    Seat 5: pdogg0809 (1375 in chips)
    Seat 6: dyingtolive8 (1380 in chips)
    Seat 7: tmlfan3511 (1630 in chips)
    Seat 8: h_shajarian (1760 in chips)
    Seat 9: femson (1500 in chips) is sitting out
    dyingtolive8: posts small blind 10
    tmlfan3511: posts big blind 20
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to BARRYDOGG378 [Ac Ah]
    h_shajarian: folds
    femson: folds
    BARRYDOGG378: raises 120 to 140
    h_shajarian said, "blow-up"
    URIAH983: folds
    muckuup42: folds
    Onedayintime: calls 140
    pdogg0809: folds
    h_shajarian said, "haha"
    dyingtolive8: folds
    tmlfan3511: folds
    *** FLOP *** [Ks 6h Kd]
    BARRYDOGG378: bets 300
    Onedayintime: calls 300
    *** TURN *** [Ks 6h Kd] [9s]
    BARRYDOGG378: bets 80
    Onedayintime: calls 80
    *** RIVER *** [Ks 6h Kd 9s] [5h]
    BARRYDOGG378: bets 120
    Onedayintime: calls 120
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    BARRYDOGG378: shows [Ac Ah] (two pair, Aces and Kings)
    Onedayintime: mucks hand
    BARRYDOGG378 collected 1310 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 1310 | Rake 0
    Board [Ks 6h Kd 9s 5h]
    Seat 1: BARRYDOGG378 showed [Ac Ah] and won (1310) with two pair, Aces and Kings
    Seat 2: URIAH983 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: muckuup42 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 4: Onedayintime mucked [Js 4s]
    Seat 5: pdogg0809 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: dyingtolive8 (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 7: tmlfan3511 (big blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 8: h_shajarian folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: femson folded before Flop (didn't bet)

If you have any questions, please contact us at "PokerStars Support" <support@pokerstars.com>

with aces early, you want to raise a bit more preflop (200-250).

The flop is a bigtime scare and when they called the 300, I'd almost have to put them on a K. On the turn, a bet of 80 into that big of a pot is basically nothing (almost a check). If you're going to make a bet, it needs to be at least 200-300. Same thing for the river (120 into 1k is basically going to be called by anything)... when they didn't raise back on the turn nor especially the river, I'd know my hand was good.
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

JWK, you're suggesting a 10 BB raise? Why not just shove?

120 is a pretty big raise, 6 BBs. I'd generally go smaller, more along the lines of 2.5-3 BBs so it wouldn't look different from all the other hands I play. I might even limp. Depends how aggressive the table is. If there are players who will call shoves wide (those bad players who will get it in with any two broadways, any pair, etc.) I might even shove it in here.

The flop is a good one for you kind of. With two Ks it probably missed your opponent, which might make it hard to get value out of a lot of hands that would call you preflop. Still you might get a call from a pair 77-QQ, so a value bet makes sense. Your bet is way too big though I think.

You are likely either way ahead or way behind. Mostly ahead. Still I would be inclined to check most turn cards to keep the pot small. You checked the turn and he checked behind. Your bet isn't even a blocker bet. It's the kind of bet you may make with a gutshot draw or small pair hoping to see a cheap river. This player is super passive though, so he just calls.

Well, 78 gets there on the river which is totally in his range, but the flush draw missed. Against an aggressive player I'd check/call here. Against a passive player you can still get some decent value from lots of pairs smaller than aces, so bet/fold since you will always be behind if raised.
      4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

[QUOTE=oriholic;285862]JWK, you're suggesting a 10 BB raise? Why not just shove?

QUOTE]

early, if I'm not limping from late postion with a 'potential' hand, I'll tend to raise more than the std raise I'd use once the blinds start to go up. I don't like shoving, because just incase the board is bad, I want a way to try and outplay the opponents after the flop... not just shoving and playing bingo (although if anyone shoves on me, it's a snap-call). In that type of situation, I want to build a pot, but give myself outs if the board goes bad.
        If you raise to 200, it's still less than 1/7th of your stack, so it gives me options.
        Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
        X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.