PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSO: AQ cut off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSO: AQ cut off

It is the PSO League and we are 30 players from the bubble and good points for the League. Normally, I would even be tempted to fold AQ off, but a few things convinced me otherwise. I was UTG, everyone had folded to me, I was certain the button and SB would fold to a shove, my image was tight and the BB/biggest stack had been playing very tight since I came to the table, so I thought he would only protect his blind with a premium holding. If he had any of the top 4 pair or AK I was dominated but anything less I was at least a coinflip or healthy favourite. Perfect opportunity to steal the blinds or double up and ensure reaching the bubble I was surprised to see him call with A 7, and the 7 on the river was an ouch moment. I was asked why I did not stall to the bubble and my reasoning was I would not have made it without playing at least one hand and relying on the Poker Gods. I see it as the correct play even in PSO and I just got unlucky. What do you think? TC

Don't see anything wrong with how you played it. umbup:

Comment

Maybe I gave him too good pots??

TC

Comment

Originally posted by topthecat View Post
        Normally, I would even be tempted to fold AQ off, but... I was UTG, everyone had folded to me

If you had to play one more hand to cash, then shoving something is certainly the right thing to do. AQo is far and away a strong enough hand to shove from your position (even if you were UTG, whis might have been strong enough to shove; not totally sure with the points system).

Incidentally, the call from the BU was also far and away the correct decision for him to make, I believe. Given his pot odds, his stack size, his hand, and your likely shoving range, he made the correct play, too. The fact that you were laying him odds is not a reason to fold this hand. If you think you'll get blinded out if you don't, then shove. Do not tighten your pushing range because you have no fold equity; you actually need to widen it in hopes of getting some back very quickly.

Comment

Snap shove. You know button and SB are going to fold like 98% here. And you're wayyyyy ahead of BB's random cards. Plus you're giving him odds to call with any two, so this shove is ++EV for sure!

Do not tighten your pushing range because you have no fold equity; you actually need to widen it in hopes of getting some back very quickly.
          Depends how wide it is to begin with. No point in pushing 73 with no fold equity and multiple players left to act. I'd rather call a shove than push myself in that situation. (More likely to get it heads-up).
          4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Opps sorry Panicky, I meant cut off.

Thanks guys.

Comment

If your #1 priority is crossing the bubble (monthly league scoring), then it's a matter of evaluating if you can realistically fold your way through the bubble or not. If the answer is yes, then fold. If the answer is no, then shove.

Where the goal is to play to win, this is an automatic shove every single time, even if opened in front of you.

And the BB makes an excellent call btw, folding would be terrible.
              Head Live Trainer
              Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

With 30 to go, unless the table is playing slow as molasses in January.... you will need to win a hand to get ITM. Knowing you most likely need one, I'm looking for a hand to push with... and that one certainly qualifies.
                You got 3 outed, but you made the correct play in my eyes.

I agree with Dave that the button basically had to call it with an A too.

Regular MTT, instead of PSO, it's a snap-shove from me.
                Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by JWK24 View Post
                  I agree with Dave that the <BB> basically had to call it with <any 2 cards>.
                  FYP.

Yeah, if the regular league players are saying you need some more chips to make the bubble, then I'm shoving here.
                  Head Live Trainer
                  Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I agree with Dave that the button basically had to call it with an A too.
                    Big blind has to call this with 38 off suit.
                    4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I wish he had LOL

Thanks for all the insights guys.

Cheers,

TC

Comment

Originally posted by TheLangolier View Post
                        FYP.

Yeah, if the regular league players are saying you need some more chips to make the bubble, then I'm shoving here.
                        That's what I get for looking at 2 hands at once... sorry.
                        Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

i have to agree with the a,7 call from the big blind with approx 3to1 odds he was givin,your push all in was the right nmove in my opinion to wit a,q being a very strong hand,id say with about 30ppl to go you had a good chance off making the bubble with your stack because alot off ppl at this point in the tournament run the clock out,good luck in your future pso skill league tournaments
                          3 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                          X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.