PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AKs vs XX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AKs vs XX

This is a hand that I think we've all played a hundred times in tournaments, from both ends of the cards, (I have basically no experience with no cash games, so this is tourney-focused), and I've been thinking a lot about it lately.

The standard structure goes something like this. I was playing a 1.10$ 2K-guaranteed tourney with a very big stack (top 15 I think) and the only notes I had on the player was that he limped, even UTG, with very small aces (i.e. A2).

The odds are fairly standard -- if the guy has a high ace, you're either very likely to split or highly likely (80/20 I think?) to win. If you're faced with a pocket pair, you're at the weaker end of a coinflip. So I was wondering: what do you guys think? How should big slick and high pocket pairs be played against each other in tournaments? How do stack sizes influence this? What about the stage of the tourney?

Cheers,

JF

stage of tourney, stack sizes and any reads on the opponent will determine what to do. You can get a number of different answers as to what to do with AK, depending on the situation.
    It could be anywhere from a fold to a shove or anything in-between.

From the situation you posted, I agree with the way you played it. It's early so you raised to 3BB, another much, much smaller stack pushed.... you're isolated against 1 opponent, so you called with AKs. If you win, great, if you lose, you still have plenty of chips to keep going... since it's still early.
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
    X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.