PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSO League Small Stack Call

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSO League Small Stack Call

Was this an OK call? Kind of desperate trying to defend the big blind, was smallest or next to smallest stack in the tournament at this point. This was after the bubble and only 30 players were left of 500 or so. I put him on KJ, QJ or similar so I already knew I was probably calling into death but I thought my chances were pretty low after this hand if I had folded anyway. Odds calculator: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...c?sitId=145448

Here are the key points. First, it's AFTER the bubble... so now, your only goal is to get to the top 3 and to do that, you need to be accumulating chips. Second, you've got 1BB left from the BB.... basically you need to push ATC.

Best case scenario for you is that you're isolated against only 1 other hand (will improve your chance to win the hand).
    You are able to get this and have suited cards.... therefore, even with it being a 29s, it's an auto-ship for me.

That's the time of the tourney that you need to be alot looser and have to put your chips in more often, as there is not a very large point differential between finishing 4th and being the first player ITM.... so it's worth the risk to accumulate chips.

Do not look at it as defending your blind (that thought process will get you into deep, deep trouble in tournies and is one of the worst things you can be doing). At your point in the tourney, especially a PSO tourney, the only goal is to accumulate a big chip stack to try to get to the top 3.

If it was a money mtt, then the other thing you'd need to look at is where the pay level jumps are. In that case, if folding it to get to the next hand can get me a decent jump in the payout, then I may consider mucking it to get the extra money. That's the one and only situation where you may want to muck it.
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Thx, thought it was a decent call.

Comment

My question is how did you get this short in the BB? I frequently push about 85% with 2BB from EP.

Comment

Yes, I definitely could have played more. People opened before me almost every single hand and I waited too long for better cards.

Comment

Working...
          X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.