PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flat Calling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Calling

Hi all,

This is just a question on this much maligned practice. I rarely flat call preflop now, it is usually raise or fold.

I was just wondering are there specific times and places where flat calling is appropriate and if it could add another weapon to your poker arsenal?

Thanks,

TC

if you have a marginal hand, you can use this especially early in a tourney if there are alot of people in a pot and you don't have reads on them.... preferred by me in late position. It'll minimize your lost chips if you miss the flop... with a huge return if you hit it, as it helps to also hide the possible strength of your hand.

It's also a good way to setmine with multiple people already in a hand with a mid/low pair.

It's also something you can do every so often, instead of always raising or folding, to change things up and throw off an opp's read on you.
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

- with a premium hand against a loose aggressive player who will most likely C-bet on the flop.
      - in the blinds with a premium hand QQ KK AA, again against an opponent who is likely to C-bet.
      - with a speculative hand in position and a multi way pot, and the cost of the call is a small percentage of your stack.

Comment

- with a premium hand against a loose aggressive player who will most likely C-bet on the flop.
        - in the blinds with a premium hand QQ KK AA, again against an opponent who is likely to C-bet.
        - with a speculative hand in position and a multi way pot, and the cost of the call is a small percentage of your stack.

Comment

Yeah, speculation etc, what these guys said.

A decent rule of thumb is to look for reasons to fold first. If folding doesn't look attractive (maybe due to hand strength, maybe the situation, maybe some of both...), then look for reasons to raise next. If neither folding nor raising seem particularly good, then consider calling.
          Head Live Trainer
          Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I feel the last point to be very relevant because people can get a good read on you if all you ever do is raise or fold.

I am a bit wary of set mining myself and feel more comfortable with a fold/raise in this scenario but I get the impression that this is maybe the wrong approach on my part and an area I need to exploit a bit more

Thanks for the insight and advice JWK,

TC

Opps posting when i should have been reading but thanks for the feedback guys.

TC

Comment

You can also flat-call in position to keep the pot small, especially if you don't expect the blinds to call. Then outplay in a small pot post flop.
              4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.