PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA

Guys.. how should i play this..
    I have lost 3 pocket As and survived one in two days.. i think most often you lose with this.. and most important qn.. can i all in with this hand.. i do it all the time.. and i lose .. damn

** Moved **

Comment

Originally posted by godofcricket View Post
      Guys.. how should i play this..
      I have lost 3 pocket As and survived one in two days.. i think most often you lose with this.. and most important qn.. can i all in with this hand.. i do it all the time.. and i lose .. damn
      Without specific hands and situations to comment on, the question(s) are really far too broad to comment on effectively.

AT BEST, I can say:

IN GENERAL, the stronger your hand is in relation to the nut hand at the time, the more you should want to play a "big pot".

AA is the nut hand PRE-FLOP only; thereafter you are facing AT LEAST a potential set as the nut (unless you hold top set).

The weaker your hand is in relation to the nut hand, the more you should want to exercise "pot control" (if you feel your hand is best).

When there are DRAW(s) which may call to beat you, your bets are most often "best" if sized to DENY ODDS to those draws, but INVITE CALLS from those draws. This means you are betting in line with the Sklansky "Fundemental Theorem of Poker" (see link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundame...eorem_of_poker )

Be highly aware of board texture.

Etc, Etc, Etc...

I sincerely hope this is not just a thinly veiled bad beat "whine".
      Double Bracelet Winner

Comment

+1, post the actual hand history so we can take a look at it and try to help.

I know a guy who lost with AA 17 times in a row. I'm not kidding. It happens.

Dave
        Head Live Trainer
        Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I believe I have lost more money with AA than any other hand over the years. It is the easiest hand to overplay. At the end of the day you have to remember, it is only one pair. If it doesn't improve on the flop (and sometimes even when it does) it is not the nuts, so don't play it like it is. Play it like it is a good one pair, since that's exactly what it is...

Kind of a general statement of course, can't get into more detail without a hand history.

Comment

Originally posted by RockerguyAA View Post
            I believe I have lost more money with AA than any other hand over the years.
            This is why you need tracking software for playing real money online. You'll find AA is actually one of your biggest winners long term.
            Head Live Trainer
            Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

You win with AA approximately 87% of the time unless your typical line is something like this:

Bet pre
              Call flop
              Call turn
              Call river shove.

Or

Bet pre
              Bet flop (get called)
              Bet turn (get check/shoved and call)

You want to lead the action and bet when the board isn't obnoxiously bad for you. You can mitigate losses by check/calling when you face a horrible river card if the bet is not an overbet.

You call every shove preflop. Yes, you do. Yes you should.

Comment

Nice post James and may I say that you have a very informative blog as well.

Keep up the good work,

TC

Comment

Thanks boss, kinda got away from the PSO a bit. But since the US meltdown, I just came back to see what's going on. I'll probably post another blog or two soon.

Comment

Originally posted by thelangolier View Post
                    +1, post the actual hand history so we can take a look at it and try to help.

I know a guy who lost with aa 17 times in a row. I'm not kidding. It happens.

Dave
                    and you actually expected us to believe that.....boy i am sure glad i dont sit in on your live classes you offer .....u r a complete lieing idiot.....DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE ODDS OF THAT WOULD BE...COME ON NOW LETS BE REAL AA LOSES 17 TIMES In a row ..THE ODDS OF THAT WOULD BE IN THE MILLIONS....I KNOW U R JUST TRYING TO MAKE THAT NEW GUY FEEL BETTER ABOUT HIMSELF BUT DONT LIE TO DO IT.......
                    Last edited by Jeane&David; Thu Apr 21, 2011, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Jeane&David - You make way too many assumptions...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeane&David View Post
                        and you actually expected us to believe that.....boy i am sure glad i dont sit in on your live classes you offer .....u r a complete lieing idiot.....DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE ODDS OF THAT WOULD BE...COME ON NOW LETS BE REAL AA LOSES 17 TIMES In a row ..THE ODDS OF THAT WOULD BE IN THE MILLIONS....I KNOW U R JUST TRYING TO MAKE THAT NEW GUY FEEL BETTER ABOUT HIMSELF BUT DONT LIE TO DO IT.......
                        I'm not lying, nor am I an idiot. It's 100% true. Thanks for your kind and intelligent words.

PS- I'm not trying to make anyone feel better. That won't help them get better at poker.
                        Head Live Trainer
                        Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Jeane&David View Post
                          boy i am sure glad i dont sit in on your live classes you offer
                          I'm glad too. Not surprising someone who expresses themselves the way you do isn't interested in improving their poker game.
                          Head Live Trainer
                          Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Well I am sorry for the insults that was not the proper way to go about it.You are a successful poker player and I need to learn to repect peoples game even when I dont agree with what they are saying about the game as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLangolier View Post
                              I'm glad too. Not surprising someone who expresses themselves the way you do isn't interested in improving their poker game.
                              I am very interested in improving my game..I just dont think some of your theories and style of play will work for me. So that is not a reason for you to assume that just because I choose not to try and improve my game through you that I am not useing other resources to do so .Just like Tom Dwans or Phil hellmuth style may not work for you...But that doesnt mean you are not wanting to improve your game...I still find it hard to believe that someone got AA cracked 17times in a row and with you being a instructor on here unless you was there to witness that I dont think you should be useing that as an example to prove a point..But never the less that does not give me the right to call you names..

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.