PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bust Out Hand Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bust Out Hand Question

1730 ET - PSO Skills Tourney

I was third to act, with A-Q diamonds. We were well into the antes with bb = 250. I was slightly under average stack size (maybe 300 chips).

I raised to 800 and it folded around to a reraise putting me All-In. He had a 4/1 chip lead over me and had bullied a couple of hands previously. The player in question had just sucked out a hand previous, took some verbal crap, and I figured he was playing position with picture cards. He rolled A-J offsuit.

I was dominant going into the flop.

The full hand history is below.

To me, given my assessment of the situation, it made sense to call the all-in. I am pretty sure I'd do it again given similar circumstances. But, I can see an argument for not getting into an all-in situation with such a huge stack and just eating the 800 so I could stay in the tournament longer.

Looking forward to your input.

PokerStars Game #60538148808: Tournament #379718675, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (125/250) - 2011/04/08 18:46:59 ET
    Table '379718675 63' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
    Seat 1: jakers32 (2270 in chips) is sitting out
    Seat 2: MrHub (3740 in chips)
    Seat 3: OATHUFK (470 in chips) is sitting out
    Seat 4: SevenDeuceJT (1645 in chips)
    Seat 5: bigblazer879 (470 in chips)
    Seat 6: merlinco1976 (1555 in chips)
    Seat 7: actor123 (13377 in chips)
    Seat 8: GAMESABCDE (2143 in chips)
    Seat 9: Kpiddy (1880 in chips)
    jakers32: posts the ante 25
    MrHub: posts the ante 25
    OATHUFK: posts the ante 25
    SevenDeuceJT: posts the ante 25
    bigblazer879: posts the ante 25
    merlinco1976: posts the ante 25
    actor123: posts the ante 25
    GAMESABCDE: posts the ante 25
    Kpiddy: posts the ante 25
    actor123: posts small blind 125
    GAMESABCDE: posts big blind 250
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to MrHub [Qd Ad]
    Kpiddy: folds
    jakers32: folds
    MrHub: raises 550 to 800
    OATHUFK: folds
    SevenDeuceJT said, "****er"
    SevenDeuceJT: folds
    bigblazer879: folds
    merlinco1976: folds
    actor123: raises 12552 to 13352 and is all-in
    GAMESABCDE: folds
    MrHub: calls 2915 and is all-in
    Uncalled bet (9637) returned to actor123
    *** FLOP *** [2c 9c Js]
    *** TURN *** [2c 9c Js] [Tc]
    *** RIVER *** [2c 9c Js Tc] [9s]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    actor123: shows [Jh As] (two pair, Jacks and Nines)
    MrHub: shows [Qd Ad] (a pair of Nines)
    actor123 collected 7905 from pot
    MrHub finished the tournament in 458th place
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 7905 | Rake 0
    Board [2c 9c Js Tc 9s]
    Seat 1: jakers32 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 2: MrHub showed [Qd Ad] and lost with a pair of Nines
    Seat 3: OATHUFK folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 4: SevenDeuceJT folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: bigblazer879 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: merlinco1976 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 7: actor123 (small blind) showed [Jh As] and won (7905) with two pair, Jacks and Nines
    Seat 8: GAMESABCDE (big blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 9: Kpiddy folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Last edited by MrHub; Sat Apr 09, 2011, 02:10 AM. Reason: add missing words

How close were you to getting in the money? Also, do you think you were already deep enough into the tourny to get positive points for the league or negative?

Comment

Tourney paid at 135. I went out at 458. So, there was quite a ways to go to the money.

I lost 14 pts as a result of busting out.

Comment

It is all about the points in the PSO Skill League. You had over 10BB stack so there is no need to risk your tournament life with AQs in early position at that stage of the tournament. I think your read on the opponent and your reaction to his all in were good, but ill timed. In my opinion this sort of play should be saved for once you get closer to the time when you expect to show a positive score. The reward isn't worth the risk here. Try to play tighter hand ranges in early/mid position still during the middle stage of the tournament. If you happened to be on the button this hand, the raise would have been good, but still fold to a big all-in that puts your whole stack at risk.

Comment

If you are playing for points this is a fold preflop.
          The only thing that atc players respect slightly is a shove.

You will find two kinds of bullys in the PSO.
          1.)They love testing people and gambling it up but they will from time to time to a shove.
          2.) They shove and call just the same and it doesnt matter what you do.

To recognize the difference you will see they are more active in early position.UTG is one of there favorite spots to open from,because they are first to act.
          If they tend to slow down mid position than you know they fall into the first category of sometimes
          folding to a shove.One of the easiest ways to find them is they have folded to a shove already.

Pretty much all I can say about this hand since it is a PSO hand.
          Try opening smaller at this blind lvl as well $600 achieves the same out come.

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate the input. The perspective brought to the discussion is extremely valid and well worth consideration. umbup:

Comment

So, it turns out that I misread the Leaderboard, and I actually gained 0.61 points yesterday for my finish rather than losing 14 points.

That doesn't change the advice, I'm sure; but, going positive - even if only slightly - is better than going negative. ;-)

Comment

I thought that was a lot of negative points lol. Your play is definitely not as bad once in the positive points. Even so, with your chipstack I would have waited for a better spot, and gain some easy points in the process.

Comment

I agree. I should have waited.

Great thing about the analysis forum - gain perspective you might miss during an actual hand, which helps next time.

Comment

If he is in the points I dont see why he should not be playing that hand. Okay it is kinda strange with the whole leaderboard and stuff but he has a read on the player and makes great call imo. Has the guy dominated. What else do you want? Wait for AA and bust against a set?

Yours sincerely

Comment

If you were + points and didn't have enough chips to get ITM..... I'm playing it and hoping the opponent doesn't have AK, KK or AA. Anything else, you have them dominated or it's a coin flip.
                      Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.