PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed

I tend to overplay AQ... my thoughts anyways.... would like thoughts on how I played this...too aggressive? too passive? like a fish etc

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.4 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (7 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button (t1480)
    SB (t4190)
    Hero (BB) (t2060)
    UTG (t1570)
    MP1 (t1400)
    MP2 (t1330)
    CO (t1470)

Hero's M: 68.67

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, A
    5 folds, SB bets t80, Hero calls t60

Flop: (t160) 3, 5, 2 (2 players)
    SB bets t120, Hero calls t120

Turn: (t400) Q (2 players)
    SB bets t240, Hero calls t240

River: (t880) 7 (2 players)
    SB bets t360, Hero calls t360

Total pot: t1600

I don't like the call on the flop. However, once the Q hits the turn. I get it in.

JT

Comment

you dont like the call with the nut flush draw?

Comment

I would of 3bet preflop just sb and bb to see if sb was just making a 4x steal attempt. Also on the flop had I just smooth called the preflop I might of considered a raise with two over-cards to the board and nut flush draw and a gutter with a four, a semi bluff raise would not be out of line. That said I would of shoved the turn once the q hit. But I tend to be more aggressive than most.

My philosophy is when in doubt take the most aggressive action.

So how did you play it
        1. too aggressive? No, you never made a single aggressive action.
        2 too passive? Yes, every action you made was a passive action ie call the raise or bet.
        3 like a fish? Yes, I guess a fish would of played it the same way that you did.
        Last edited by EA2USN; Mon Apr 04, 2011, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by roomik17 View Post
          .....the straight draw, the 2 over card draw...pretty good odds on the call..this hand may be a good check raise if you have position for it...maybe a raise here to see where you are.
          The fact that his bets get smaller pot percentage wise, is a sign that he may be unsure..so I see no prob. w/ the call on turn, could maybe raise here too..river just a call is good.
          A lot would depend on how I've seen this player play though..did he rapid fire the bets, are they tight,...etc....as usual. Just my .02

ps. if i'd guess, i'd put 'em on 99,,,but 77 would suck.

Comment

Question for the turn raisers: Is your raise for value or as a bluff?
            Head Live Trainer
            Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I think raising on the turn is a bluff in this instance. I feel the initial raise indicates strength; it could be AA or KK but the raise on the flop also could suggest a set. I think our hero is behind all the way and the villain takes the pot.

TC

Comment

raise on the flop would be a semi bluff, I think there is a good chance that the AQ is head on the flop. I think a raise on the turn which should be an all in is to try and win the pot without seeing the river. Good chance your ahead but still villain could hit two pair or a set with lower pair. And if your are behind hero would still have better than 5 - 1 to hit flush or gutter str8t 9 flush cards and 3 fours not count the flush card 4, so 12 outs on the river. And most likely 2 Q's could be considered outs also giving hero 14 outs on the river card.
                Last edited by EA2USN; Mon Apr 04, 2011, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by topthecat View Post
                  I think raising on the turn is a bluff in this instance. I feel the initial raise indicates strength; it could be AA or KK but the raise on the flop also could suggest a set. I think our hero is behind all the way and the villain takes the pot.

TC

It is possible that villain holds AA or KK, and that could of been determined as possible holdings had hero made a min raise preflop. That is why raising or betting out for information is important
                  without any aggression shown by the Hero, there really is noway to determine the strength of villains hand.
                  So the Hero here is relegated to calling station statues NOT a good place to be

Comment

Roomik we need some reads on the villain to give you a proper response.
                    I could play this hand two ways depending on how he doubled up,was it premium cards or a suckout?
                    Was he the aggressor or passive?Any info on that hand will help alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Deleted user View Post
                      Roomik we need some reads on the villain to give you a proper response.
                      I could play this hand two ways depending on how he doubled up,was it premium cards or a suckout?
                      Was he the aggressor or passive?Any info on that hand will help alot.
                      This was the 8th hand of the tourney.. previously he won with A rag that he played aggressively, and he doubled with KJ off hit the river and doubled.... I knew I had a good hand with lots of potential after the flop, but this early I am not willing to stack off with Q high... if at any point I hit my draws, preferably the flush I am stacking off on him.

My thing early is to be semi conservative untill I build a stack then open up more aggressively.. with his opening 4BB raise I didnt see a need to reraise and possibly have him shove

Also I have been on a downswing and am not overly confident of my play the last few days.. hense the calling not raising in this hand.

Comment

hat

roomik AQ- is called- in old school nlhe- " the walkin back to Houston ' HAND -- 4 A reason-- srry 4 the caps-- gl -- monk
                        Last edited by monkeyskunk4; Mon Apr 04, 2011, 11:23 PM. Reason: ?

Comment

If this wasnt a STT I would tell you to play more aggressive with a hand in BVB warfare.
                          But these STTs play really straight forward and calling it down is probably my second favorite line to take.First would be fold preflop.
                          The fireworks happen in the first orbit usually and 1 or 2 donks get the heave hoe.
                          I like sitting back and establishing a image,so that when the blinds do get up I can shove atc and get that fold.

I thought this was a 27man at first and was going to give you slightly different advice but mostly the same.
                          Just remember that I play a TAG style that doesnt suit everyone and you have watched me enough to see that my style is like watching paint dry.

Comment

lol thanks cook... I play a similar game... maybe a little more laggy... definately more prone to stupid mistakes... and yeah this was a 9 man game umbup:

Comment

Originally posted by roomik17 View Post
                              Completely missed the flush draw. My apologizes..................watched it 3 times but not familiar with FTR convertor and just simply missed it.

JT

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.