PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

suited connectors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suited connectors

Hello I am not so much interested in the outcome of this hand, as whether this is a good spot to play suited connectors with regard to my position/stack size and limpers ahead of me. Should I have raised here or was limping ok?

way too early to play low suited connectors... auto muck for me.
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to learn these lessons and improve my game as cheaply as possible and I appreciate it when players who have a better understanding of the game are willing to help me out.

Any bet postflop would've put me off this hand for sure.

So low suited connectors are better played later in a tourney...

If it was later in the tourney, is this a good position/situation to play them in?
      And if I was to decide to play them, raise them? Or is limping ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Freckldgator View Post
        So low suited connectors are better played later in a tourney...
        No,

This is absolutely fine. You're almost 100 bb's deep in a limped multi-way pot with position. It's the quintessential spot to speculate. In position, deep stacked, dirt cheap entry relative to the stacks. These are spots you should be taking early in the interest of trying to accumulate chips.

Later in a tourney when the stacks get shallow is not the time to burn chips limping this stuff, you can no longer afford speculation then.
        Head Live Trainer
        Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Great spot to play suited connectors. When I play them I want to see the flop cheap, be in position, and have a few people in the pot with me. Which is exactly what you had in this hand. Good play.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

:-)

Comment

Definately right time to play suited connectors.

pre-flop Connectors will win a pot ~20% of the time, so anytime you can get pot odds around 5:1 it's an easy call from that position. From there, you need to look @ implied odds if you do hit to decide if it will be profitable to call with 3 or 4:1 odds. With deep stacks, easy call into an unopened pot.

Comment

Originally posted by JWK24 View Post
                way too early to play low suited connectors... auto muck for me.
                No reason you HAVE to play 'em, especially if any of the limpers are "pounder" type C-Bettors whose post flop bets will tend to price you off drawing hands...

BUT...

Originally posted by TheLangolier View Post
                No,

This is absolutely fine. You're almost 100 bb's deep in a limped multi-way pot with position. It's the quintessential spot to speculate. In position, deep stacked, dirt cheap entry relative to the stacks. These are spots you should be taking early in the interest of trying to accumulate chips.

Later in a tourney when the stacks get shallow is not the time to burn chips limping this stuff, you can no longer afford speculation then.
                This is the PERFECT way to play 'em!

Remember above when I said "pounder bettors" are bad for your draws? as dave states, later in the tourney you have a LOT more stacks willing to committ on ANY top pair hit. Waiting 'til latter means you tend to find a lot more "shoves" into your draws, as well as a lot more "aggressive" betting lines determined to chip up that rarely let you go past the turn on draws. Reserving your spec plays for the early stages with hands that will likely flop draws as most of their "value" means your decisions aren;t for your entire stack, and are easier pot odds/implied odds decisions.

Later on, it will tend to be a LOT harder to paly these draws unless oyu can do so AGRESSIVELY yourself, and semi-bluff bet people off pots.

Semi-bluffing off a guy who has 1/3rd his stack in on a raise is pretty hard to do!
                Double Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.