PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

88 vs KQ off What do you think?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 vs KQ off What do you think?

Just for kicks, wondering what you guys think? So, this is PSO Skill, and you're short. Needless to say you will not make positive points w/o doubling through a couple of times. Blinds now 125/250 antes 25, you're UTG +1 you've got 550 left. And UTG folds. It's on you. What do you do if you have 88's, what do you do if you have KQ off? If you could only choose one of those 2 hands, which one would you choose to have?

My opinion on this is I'd rather have KQ off, than the pocket 8's. -shark

Originally posted by sharkatack89 View Post
    Just for kicks, wondering what you guys think? So, this is PSO Skill, and you're short. Needless to say you will not make positive points w/o doubling through a couple of times. Blinds now 125/250 antes 25, you're UTG +1 you've got 550 left. And UTG folds. It's on you. What do you do if you have 88's, what do you do if you have KQ off? If you could only choose one of those 2 hands, which one would you choose to have?

88 raise to 549 kq off fold for sure

Comment

prolly not folding anything 88+, 9Ts+, JTo+

Comment

88 is dead center, half above, half below. I would most likely go all-in and hope I get just one caller. With this hand, I expect a 4-point lead with my opponent having two over cards. If more than one person calls, I type in my farewell message while the others play.

KQ is a fold, usually. In early, definitely. Late, I'll go all-in if nobody has called or raised.

Comment

With $550 left I'm shoving with either one - I don't know about you but I don't get either one of these hands and fold in this situation. That's just me and I don't claim to be an expert.

Good luck!!
          Bracelet Winner

Comment

I'm 31% to win so far this year in 140 hands holding KQo,and 44% to win in 52 hands holding 88 so as short as they are my stats back up what I felt instictively when I saw this question...........always take the "made" hand over the drawing hand pre-flop. Most likely outcome is for both players to blank through the river.Take the underpair. Over the long haul it's the higher % play,and is a 54-46% favorite were the 2 hands to actually meet.

Comment

With 88's, all you really fear is an overpair. With KQ, any caller is basically guaranteed to either be marginally ahead (like if they have 88, or even A8), or they'll usually have you dominated (AK, AQ).

I might be missing some subtleties here, but I think 88 is an easy favourite for me. The possibility to almost have a lock hand if you see another 8 just adds fruit to the pudding.

Comment

In that situation you have to push with either of those hands. You have already been blinded to the point of not being able to steal the blinds, BUT you can still get others to fold mediocre or bad hands often. Also, you can't expect to see better whole cards in the next two hands. The majority of the time you will get dealt worse cards and once in the BB, you won't be able to take any meaningful action regardless of what you get dealt.

Which hand I would prefer? 88 Every time. It slightly stronger than KQo. Can't really think of too many other clear cut reasons why... you could get called by a smaller pocket pair and be an 80% favorite.

Comment

88 is the favorite always go with percentages

Comment

** Moved **

Comment

Originally posted by sharkatack89 View Post

This is a great example of why the PSO LEAGUE strategy is so "diferent" from a real MTT.
                      please note the use of the word different - i could be much more colorful here but prefer restraint

Obviously you would never allow yourself to get this short in a real MTT - 2 BB - if you are you have allowed yourself to get so short you have no more decisions to make as you are just dead money. So it doesnt matter if you have 88 or KQ or 2-7 off.

Even in PSO I would say both hands would need to be played in the example you give, hopefully you are at worst a flip with either hand and thats worth the neg points if you get knocked out

Thank you though for reminding me why its a waste of time for me to grind PSO.

Comment

88 every time

you got a made hand

any1 calls with A x , K x , Q x

u 65/35 ahead

imo

Comment

When shoving for my life from an early position I want a hand that is not dominated by a lot of combos. So let's count.

88 -- dominating hands are 99 - AA : 24 combos (4 of each pair).

KQ -- dominating hands are QQ-AA, AK, AQ: 34 combos (12 AK and AQ's each, 4 AA, 3 KK, 3 QQ).

I'd prefer to have 88.
                          Last edited by DLeviathan; Mon Feb 21, 2011, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.