PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Punishing Limpers - Did I Do It Properly?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punishing Limpers - Did I Do It Properly?

This was pretty early in a knockout MTT. I had been sitting tight, not doing anything for about fifteen hands, then this interesting opportunity came by. In the cutoff, I was dealt a decent suited king, and as was the norm at this table, there were limpers entering pots all the time. I was watching, and there was actually only one guy who was raising preflop at all (and I was going to 3bet him here if he raised again, just because of how active he had been, but he folded).

With my decent holding and position, I decided to pound on the limpers, because I didn't think they'd be limping with very good hands. Especially since they were limping with more than half the hands they were dealt. On the flop, I got a pair and a flush draw (the absolute nuts, I believe ), which I figured was good enough to barrel the flop and jam the river. I figured that if I was going to play this hand at all, it had to be really aggressively to get the stations to back off, or not at all. I wanted to chip up, so I took the former approach.

Did I get the punishing limpers concept right, or was this just a bad play with a marginal holding? Let me know.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.4 Tournament, 20/40 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP1 (t3555)
    MP2 (t1790)
    MP3 (t3655)
    Panicky (CO) (t1775)
    Button (t1635)
    SB (t338)
    BB (t2620)
    UTG (t1820)
    UTG+1 (t2152)

Panicky's M: 29.58

Preflop: Panicky is CO with 8, K
    UTG calls t40, UTG+1 calls t40, 1 fold, MP2 calls t40, 1 fold, Panicky bets t300, 3 folds, UTG calls t260, 2 folds

Flop: (t740) 4, 8, 9 (2 players)
    UTG checks, Panicky bets t400, UTG calls t400

Turn: (t1540) 4 (2 players)
    UTG checks, Panicky bets t1075 (All-In)

Calling stations are named that for a reason. They will call down very marginally. One line I like to take with them, is play very strong hands and make sure you hit the flop real hard, then value bet them(calling stations) to no end umbup: (AT ALL COSTS NEVER BLUFF A CALLING STATION!!!) I think your hand was a little to marginal IMO to take such a strong aggressive line vs calling station. Next time have the pckt 9's Hopefully this helps, if not sorry, just another opinon.....
    Last edited by DONKEYSPIKER; Wed Feb 16, 2011, 08:47 AM. Reason: TYPO

Comment

I like the post flop play, but with K8s your preflop raise was basically a semi-bluff, since you can expect one of the limpers to hold atleast a slightly better hand than you. Like Donkeyspiker said, not really a good idea to be bluffing (or semibluffing) calling stations.

Comment

Working...
      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.