PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I make this call?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I make this call?

hey Folks

Played a hand earlier and I thought, given the situation, it was the right call. I understood that I would probably only be a marginal favourite but my opponet had been playing literally any 2 and I had him covered, 40% of my stack.

I ran the hand through pokerstove and it gave me odds to win of 58.x / 41.x

I put my opponent on a fairly wide range, not any 2 the first run through

Out of curiosity the second time I removed hands I know he didn't have, premium hand and any pair. I wanted to know, if my read was accurate, what the odds would be it came out at 61.x / 38. x

I don't know if pokerstove should be used this way? Can we factor in what we know about a player? I guess for the maths to be reliable I shouldn't?

lastly i ran with any 2 and again I was 60/40 favourite.

I made the call because of what I knew about the player and that I was likely to be ahead, was it the right thing to do though given I was only a marginal favourite?

TIA
    Steve

here is the hand

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB (t1729)
    UTG (t6645)
    UTG+1 (t1629)
    MP1 (t2865)
    MP2 (t1805)
    VareckRay (MP3) (t1470)
    CO (t1425)
    Button (t1305)
    SB (t587)

Preflop: VareckRay is MP3 with A, 7
    4 folds, VareckRay bets t90, 2 folds, SB raises to t587 (All-In), 1 fold, VareckRay calls t497

Total pot: t1204
    Last edited by VareckRay; Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:08 AM. Reason: never post results :)

Originally posted by VareckRay View Post
    hey Folks

I ran the hand through pokerstove and it gave me odds to win of 58.x / 41.x

I put my opponent on a fairly wide range, not any 2 the first run through

Out of curiosity the second time I removed hands I know he didn't have, premium hand and any pair. I wanted to know, if my read was accurate, what the odds would be it came out at 61.x / 38. x

I don't know if pokerstove should be used this way? Can we factor in what we know about a player? I guess for the maths to be reliable I shouldn't?

lastly i ran with any 2 and again I was 60/40 favourite.

I made the call because of what I knew about the player and that I was likely to be ahead, was it the right thing to do though given I was only a marginal favourite?

Whether to call a significant portion of your stack as slim favorite at an early stage of a tournament is debateable. 60/40 is probably good in the long run.

I think you've got it backwards on adjusting ranges in Pokerstove for what you know (or think you know) the other player does not have in his range. You should always adjust ranges based on your reads if you want reliable results. Doing multiple stoves for different reads is fine as well.

Good job both on making the call as a decent favorite and your subsequent analysis with Pokerstove.

Comment

Originally posted by DLeviathan View Post
      Whether to call a significant portion of your stack as slim favorite at an early stage of a tournament is debateable. 60/40 is probably good in the long run.
      Hi Leviathan, yep that was my concern, that I'm throwing away chips needlessly but in this particular instance I reckon it would have been ultra tight to fold.

I've only recently started using pokerstove, I thought that when ranging an player I shouldn't discount hands I'm almost certain doesn't have, as they are still possibilities. I should in fact discount hands better than the range I put him on?

Thanks and nice to meet you

Comment

Working...
      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.