PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ironside - Hand #12076815

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironside - Hand #12076815

Click here to view hand 12076815

this was from a 200$ 5k added NLHE

the first person went in with AQ (hadn't been playing much was now trying to work the image) 2nd player went in with 44 (very short stacked) 3rd player raised all in to try to get heads up with the AQ this raise was called by JJ then reraised by AA which the JJ called.

with larger stacks still to act behind him should the AK have raised or folded?

ironside lsogc

This was an interesting hand to look at. In hind sight of course it looks like folding is the best choice. But givin the circumstances ( and I think I've changed my mind on this 3 times already) I don't think his raise is incorrect, it might be unwise, but I can't see anything terribly wrong with it.

Why is unwise? Well, judging from the stack size it looks like the tourney is less than half way over, probably closer to 1/4 the way through. With 2 players all-in already why risk 2/3 of your stack on a drawing hand (that's not siuted) so early? As you point out the larger stacks on the table are yet to act, making the raise a little more "iffy." You also point that the innitial all in player (AQ) had been playing tight. Yes, we know now that he was playing that immage a bit, however, at that time I'm going to have to give him credit for having at least a pair bigger than 8's, if not, AK also. I have to put the next all-in short stacked player (44), to any pair or any ace.

Why might it be correct? We all know how hard it can be to lay down those AK's. For now, forget about why, but you decide to play it for a raise. What's the logic? Two players are already all-in and the big stacks are yet to act. Your all in reraise might be a signal to the big stacks that there are already some made hands and to back off. Of course the AA will have none of that, but you can't predict that. The worst play IMO was the JJ calling cold twice. His hand needs to be folded.

I think it was a case of bad timing rather than bad play, the AK could go either way and still be right. An argument could be made for either case. Great hand to look at (I'm still scratching my head)

Tim

Comment

little more info was that the tourny was about 1/2 way thru and in phase 2 (build a stack to play with in final stages) allthough blinds were still low
      the hand before player X who had the AQ (very well know solid player in pso) had gone all in with Ax and doubled up

i own up i was the AK and basically wanted to get heads up with the orginal raiser and though the reraise would keep the stacks behind out (guess i was wrong)
      in this phase of a tourny i try to play my hands agaisnt stacks that cant damage me and even if i lost without the 2 players coming in behind me i would still feel i had enough chips to manove with.

i cant see cold calling with the AK here as viable as folding to a reraise would have been suicide

Comment

My $0.02,

Two players all-n and big stacks behind. If they are playing A's you are drawing thin to catch maybe an A to get 1/2 the pot (geet your money back). If a player behind you wakes up with a big hand you're just a dog looking for a bone.

A,K middle position, two all-n's with you "drawing hand."

Dump that piece of cheese. Save the chips when you have some hope of winning a hand.

Oh no, put it in so you'll bust and I will be one player closer to winning the Tourny

Comment

It doesn't look, to me, like the AK did anything wrong based on the info given. The JJ made the more suspect play in this hand I think.

Folding the AK wouldn't have been that bad either. It depends.

Comment

Working...
          X