PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposal: Live Training for Beginners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Proposal: Live Training for Beginners

    Greetings.

    I offer this as a suggestion. We have 3 live trainings which

    are offered over & over on PSO. I remember going through the

    Basic Course material but Live Trainings didn't really reflect

    what I was reading. I wish we had a full live training program

    for beginners as when I did go to regular Live Trainings I was

    LOST by assumptions that I knew this or that. I wish we

    enough trainers for Dave (TheLangolier) to elicit responses

    from members: What did you think you needed in Live

    Trainings when you started as a novice? I wish we had had

    enough trainers to have a full live training program for

    novices. I know I would be a far better player today had I

    received more Live Trainings, free tutoring (partnership with

    more advanced member of PSO) as during the first 3 months I was

    lost and thankfully, Lane Anderson (85FastLane) took me under

    his wings.

    Thanks for listening folks And know that almost ALL studies

    in the field of learning show that investing in beginners--

    whether pre-schoolers or in the area of sports--pay off as the

    foundation is firmer and the growth more rapid.

    Feedback appreciated
    .

  • #2
    The had beginners classes at PSO before but they were stopped, I assume, because attendance was so low.

    Comment


    • #3
      More Publicity/Public Relations

      Hi

      I am not suggesting that hey didn't do a good job, but there is always room to think outside the box. In

      tandem with Basic Course Material--which could be reviewed as I, as an intermediate, have yet to see 2+2

      shown working in our trainings by way of example; a cash incentive--something almost all beginners need--

      might help; contests geared to beginners; 'buddy system' for beginners, tour of PSO and PS (thus a

      2 hour commitment from experienced PSO members) and that is just one person jamming.

      Ellen

      History need not repeat itself if we don't repeat history.

      Comment


      • #4
        I wish there was more Live Trainings discussing more advanced concepts.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi Ellen, Once again thanks for an excellent suggestion. For absolute beginners we have the very popular Bankroll Builder promotion but some terms and conditions do apply. http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...nkroll-builder As always we recommend that you send good suggestions like this to ideas@mypokerschoolonline.com We can't guarantee that your ideas will be implemented but we can guarantee that they will be read and considered. Cheers, Raiser umbup:

          Comment


          • #6
            One problem with this idea is that there is a wide range of skill levels among PSO members. Some people go to training before they've completed the basic courses, while others are already beating 50NL. I don't think PSO has the resources/budget to tailor training towards each and every skill level, but it does a good job of providing tuition on the fundamentals and intermediate concepts.

            Originally posted by DrEllenCait View Post
            What did you think you needed in Live Trainings when you started as a novice?
            When I was a total newbie, I'd often resort to Google if I heard some terms I was unfamilar with, but that was before PSO expanded its resources. (The "basic course" was precisely that - basic - but now there are hundreds of videos in the archive, and things like the Poker Bites clips, which are awesome for quickly learning concepts.)

            I think all the trainers are very good at explaining concepts if you ask them during the lesson, provided the chatbox isn't too busy, so they actually see your question. If you don't get an answer, you can try posting in their training feedback threads. e.g. Dave's one is here. For terms you're unfamiliar with, you can try looking in the Glossary.
            If you're still unsure about some concepts, then the Beginners Questions forum is an ideal place to ask.

            For me, the natural thing to do after learning the basics and playing a bit was to post hands for analysis in the HA forums. e.g. If I kept finding myself with tough turn or river decisions, then I'd find an example hand in my database and post it in the cashgame HA forum, in order to ask for advice. Talking about hands with other players is the main way I improved my play, so I'd recommend doing that.

            Another thing you can do is use your tracker to find leaks. If the leakfinder in PT4 is showing you have some specific issues, then you can ask for advice on how to fix them.

            Good luck!
            Bracelet Winner

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
              .
              . If the leakfinder in PT4 is showing you have some specific issues, then you can ask for advice on how to fix them.
              Would a screen shot be enough to show what areas are problem and discussion about it be enough


              Keep up the good work trainers
              Double Bracelet Winner

              Comment


              • #8
                Good point Ellen. I think a good idea would be training's specially made to point out to common leaks beginner players usually have. Something like " stop being a fish and start playing winning poker" because the mistakes beginners make are pretty much the same:
                - Think that you know the game already and instead of taking the humble attitude of learning the game and getting better, just sit there and try to 'make hands' by seeing too many flops;
                - Play your cards regardless of what cards the opponents might hold, not think of range at all;
                - Completely ignore position;
                - Go into the flop without a plan, just hoping to hit top pair, which cause beginners to call pf and fold to c-bets very often;
                - Play any suited cards;
                - Play passively;
                - Play overly aggressively;
                - Slow-play and miss value;
                - Over-bet and miss value;
                - Play your good hands passively and your bad hands aggressively;
                - Call pf raises oop to place a donkbet, folding to a reraise (typical east european?);
                - Overplay top pair and even mid and bottom pair;
                - Not consider stack sizes;
                - Bluff when it's obvious the opponent will not fold (callstation, or with an obvious strong holding)

                I am sure the trainers here at PSO can make this list much bigger. I am aware that strategy can't be generalized, it's specific to the opponent type, stakes, structure of the games available, but some mistakes seem pretty common. The problem is most players don't think of themselves as beginners or fish, many people start thinking they are the Kings of Poker already, with crown and everything.
                Time Vault Champion 2013

                Comment


                • #9
                  A clear issue here is that most rank beginners come to the tables expecting to get rich quick, rather than to learn. It is my opinion that when a player begins to realise that (s)he may not know everything there is to know about poker (s)he can be classed as an intermediate player. I started playing poker for money with friends over 40 years ago. I joined Pokerstars 7 years ago, made a AUD50 (about USD35 at the time) deposit and started playing a variety of games. I was driven away from NLHE by the uncontrollable shovers, and settled on Omaha H/L as my game of choice. When Badugi was introduced I soon had my first million in play money and built my realmoney BR up to over $150. umbup: Changes at PS meant that decent games were getting harder to find, so I bought into some medium stakes playmoney HE games to see if I could get better play there. I did, so when I decided that it was time to start really learning the game (about 2 months ago) PSO was the obvious choice. I am hardly a beginning poker player, but that gives me an edge: I want to learn. There may be some younger players out there who will take umbrage at this next point, but it has to be said. If you want to be successful at any online game, you need to be able to read. Read the rules of the game, read the introduction to the training, and read the bloody password in the agenda so you are not spamming chat asking for it. /rant

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tagging View Post
                    Would a screen shot be enough to show what areas are problem and discussion about it be enough
                    A screenshot of the leaktracker stats would certainly help. Anything that promotes discussion of the type of things you should be thinking about can't be a bad thing.
                    Bracelet Winner

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Everytime I see the title of this thread I think it's another cougar chasin me again, they just won't leave me alone,,,sighhhh
                      "A weak player may be a nit but a nit is not necessarily a weak player"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
                        I don't think PSO has the resources/budget to tailor training towards each and every skill level.
                        If for example a trainer on PSO was to offer one on one training, how would he or she go about it and couldn't we have a class where a trainer gets so many subscribers around the same level teaching in a class on some more advanced plays maybe where its students chip in some money each.

                        I don't know what would be the best way to teach us so i don't know what to ask for but if like i said one of the trainers was to teach one PSO member or who ever with some understanding of the game how would they go about it im sure students of PSO don't mind contributing some of there bankroll if a trainer would like to offer such a class with maybe homework and stuff, where they choose where we start and how we go from there.

                        Like maybe one week we do pre flop next week we do the flop then the turn and river play, 3 betting IP and OOP play and so on, i know we can find alot of this stuff but if it was just one long lesson from start to finish over x amount of time with some advanced lines later on i think it would be great for the community.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Live Training

                          Ellen, interesting idea, but not really practical imo. I started with live training almost two years ago and it has grown considerably since that time. Along with the school's growth the attendance has grown in leaps and bounds. The video archives are flush with information for beginners as well as more advanced players. As you know, private training via skype is available for a fee with some of the trainers. Given that pokerstars offers this training without a fee, I think we should be grateful for what we do get to learn through the classes that are offered at varying times every day. Further to that we requested that we get to play against each other and thus that happened. With the large number of players attending the school there are always going to be issues with those who have no clue what is going on and those who are possibly beyond any given session. But I believe that any session you attend will bring something new to your game. This is a game of incomplete information and learning and improving never stops. The other idea that I would have, and I believe already exists, players are meeting on skype. So setting up skype groups to help each other is another avenue to look at. Look forward to seeing you in class and good luck at the tables.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Horanda View Post
                            There may be some younger players out there who will take umbrage at this next point, but it has to be said. If you want to be successful at any online game, you need to be able to read. Read the rules of the game, read the introduction to the training, and read the bloody password in the agenda so you are not spamming chat asking for it. /rant
                            I had to lol, thanks Horanda. This is true, or more towards the applications to poker, this is a game where attention to detail is relevant to your success. Player observation, bet sizing, stack sizes, who's on tilt, etc etc... members who don't read the class registration page and just come in the room saying what are we playing, that don't read the agenda and ask for the powerplay password in chat, etc... if you're not able to take these small steps in attention to detail, it will be hard to find sustained success at the tables. Definitely something to think about.
                            Head Live Trainer
                            Check out my Videos

                            4 Time Bracelet Winner



                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mr mendes 20 View Post
                              Good point Ellen. I think a good idea would be training's specially made to point out to common leaks beginner players usually have. Something like " stop being a fish and start playing winning poker" because the mistakes beginners make are pretty much the same:
                              - Think that you know the game already and instead of taking the humble attitude of learning the game and getting better, just sit there and try to 'make hands' by seeing too many flops;
                              - Play your cards regardless of what cards the opponents might hold, not think of range at all;
                              - Completely ignore position;
                              - Go into the flop without a plan, just hoping to hit top pair, which cause beginners to call pf and fold to c-bets very often;
                              - Play any suited cards;
                              - Play passively;
                              - Play overly aggressively;
                              - Slow-play and miss value;
                              - Over-bet and miss value;
                              - Play your good hands passively and your bad hands aggressively;
                              - Call pf raises oop to place a donkbet, folding to a reraise (typical east european?);
                              - Overplay top pair and even mid and bottom pair;
                              - Not consider stack sizes;
                              - Bluff when it's obvious the opponent will not fold (callstation, or with an obvious strong holding)

                              I am sure the trainers here at PSO can make this list much bigger. I am aware that strategy can't be generalized, it's specific to the opponent type, stakes, structure of the games available, but some mistakes seem pretty common. The problem is most players don't think of themselves as beginners or fish, many people start thinking they are the Kings of Poker already, with crown and everything.
                              This is a good list, but a lot of these things are topics we already cover day in and day out in our current training schedule (necessarily so). But perhaps an entry level class that addresses some of the common pitfalls of newer players would be a good add.
                              Head Live Trainer
                              Check out my Videos

                              4 Time Bracelet Winner



                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              X Cookies Information

                              We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.