PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tournament Vs Cash Game Poker - Which is best?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tournament Vs Cash Game Poker - Which is best?

In one corner we have Poker Tournaments and in the other we have Cash Game poker, but which is best? There's only one way to find out ....

Fight!!!

Vote on the poll and leave a comment below telling us which of the two you prefer and why.

Let the battle begin.

Raiser
    Cash Game poker is the best, it's the only game for me!
    30.60%
    Tournament poker is the only way to go, nothing else compares!
    69.40%
    Online Poker League
    Can you win the leaderboard?

Originally posted by royalraise85 View Post
    In one corner we have Poker Tournaments and in the other we have Cash Game poker, but which is best? There's only one way to find out ....

Fight!!!

Vote on the poll and leave a comment below telling us which of the two you prefer and why.

Let the battle begin.

Raiser

You've watched too much of Harry Hill, Raiser lol

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Tournaments i feel takes the game to a hole new level. You have so many more variables to consider then just 9 guys at one table.

Comment

Tournaments..You can usually play deep into it before you start running into a table full of competent players.

Comment

Should be tournaments. Beside the fact that at the last table you have only skilled players you also get more money out of it !

Comment

Definitely tournaments. It's not enough being able to win individual battles; The bigger game is to prevail in a protracted war, where there can be only one winner.
            4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hello [@DarkMITH87]

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any comments or questions you may have.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club. Information on how to join the club may be found HERE. Hope to see you there!

Comment

I prefer tourns. but I still enjoy vcash games.

Comment

Originally posted by royalraise85 View Post

Fight!!!

Let the battle begin.

Raiser

I'm going to go with a resounding "it depends."

Points in favor of ring:

1 --- Limited number of players
                  2 --- Long-term play to a position of power
                  3 --- Better strategy
                  4 --- Ability to quit, meaning a small gain beats a huge loss
                  5 --- Better money management

Points in favor of tourneys:

1 --- Players come and go fast, so you can outlast good and quick kill weak
                  2 --- Once eliminated from the game, they don't return
                  3 --- Limited loss to initial buy-in
                  4 --- Table dynamics always changing
                  Last edited by royalraise85; Tue Jul 21, 2015, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I'm into tournies because I like the competition and variety like HORSE etc. It's always visible how one's running in comparison to the total number of participants. Knockout tournies are very fun. More or rather different strategy is involved in tournies, I guess. Plus, it's determined beforehand how much money I put at risk (buy-in) and there is a goal to achieve! Those tournies teach you patience, too, as there are always bingo-players involved. Great fun to wait for the right hand to take those out!

On the other hand, playing all those challenges lately, I found out I can actually build up a bankroll with cash tables - more so then with tournies. That's adding to the fun, too.

Bottom line: Both ways have their own charme, best to stay open for everything!
                    2 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

For me:

Tourney negatives:
                      1) much too timeconsuming
                      2) profit structure is much too top heavy
                      3) huge swings
                      4) Stacksize vs blinds differ all the time

Cash negatives:
                      1) Profit (if any) comes at a slow pace, over 10000's of hands
                      2) No life changing wins, unless you play at life-changing stakes
                      3) more skill is involved (*)

But actually for me there really is no choice. I simple don't have the time to spent 6-10 hours playing a (big) tournament daily

(*) Not saying tourney play don't need skill. But you can win an enormous amount in a tourney with (some) luck, that will cover losses for a long time. In cash you can win a hand with luck, you can have a lucky session, but in the longrun, you need skills to concur the competition

Comment

Online I much prefer MTT and SNG (mini-tournaments) play. Get somewhat bored with cash play in all honesty.

Live,whilst I still enjoy tourney play more,I also rather enjoy printing money and on the cash tables at my local haunts I'm usually a good bet to do exactly that.

But that said,be it live or online,nothing in poker,for me,matches the buzz of running deep in a large field MTT. Your senses seem to get heightened (BP and heart rate too...) and it's just the best rush in poker that there is,I think.
                        Last edited by royalraise85; Tue Jul 21, 2015, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Until yesterday I had only really played 6max 2NL regular and zoom tables, however I played a SnG 18 player mini tournament, and I've got to say the buzz I got from winning was really good and it felt like an achievement even with so few opponents.

It took just over an hour and for a $1.50 stake returned me $9.32.
                          So i can see why people multi table these to try and lower variance by playing more hands and build a nice bankroll.

Going to keep playing a few now and again along side my other tables and maybe try more opponents at some point.
                          If anything else I found it slightly more fun than the usual grind but I would say there much more difficult mentally especially when you play against hundreds of opponents for hours on end.

That's were cash takes over for me. Blinds stay the same. You play for however ever long you want and you leave . So if your feeling tired or your having a bad day you just get up and run with your winnings (hopefully )

All in all cash for me on a regular basis however it's nice to mix things up now and again for a bit of excitement and it made me feel like my game and decision making is moving in right direction. Good little test for my game
                          Last edited by royalraise85; Tue Jul 21, 2015, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Some really good replies posted above and a big thank you to everybody that took time out to leave a reply.

We've given the thumbs up to some of the replies above and anyone that got a thumbs up will receive a School Pass ticket on or before July 29th.

Unfortunately we cannot give these tickets out to USA players at this time but we've still given Moxie and Cairn the thumbs up as they are really good answers.

Cheers guys,
                            Raiser

Online Poker League
                            Can you win the leaderboard?

Comment

Both Cash and Tournament are no problem, totally different ways to play. I got to be familiar first, and then try another one.

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.