PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beating Bad Beat Streak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beating Bad Beat Streak

I'm a microstakes player who has been on a horrible bad beat streak and had been asking for advice on the PSO forums. Got some great suggestions, so I figure I'll pay back with something that has been working for me.

I figured, "If I keep getting sucked out on river by 1-4 outers, like 19/20 times in row, why not step back and fine tune my anti-donk game in play money games?" Play money games, like at 50,000 buy-in, are absolute donkfests. And there is no "stress" relating to losing actual money, however micro. So, I played a few multitabling sessions and tripled my play money bankroll in no time flat. So, then I took the same attitude and similar stategy to microstakes cash games and I'm back grinding out a positive return.

The basic change in my head has been from overthinking and getting bothered by all the bad beats, to one of sticking just to solid +EV situations and giving very little consideration to what other players are doing and to what the outcome of any hand actually is. So, to sum up, play money games allowed me to step back and realize that my game is statistically solid; I will lose many hands against the odds, but that there are so many bad players/calls in microstakes that I shouldn't complicate things and just multitable a big volume of games sticking to pure good poker math and things will work out. A little visit to super donkland (low play money tables) has restored faith in my game.

Hope this post may help someone else. And any other similar methods to get past a bad beat streak would be great to hear about too.
Working...
X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.