PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner questions

Hello, i will ask some questions here once in a while. Feel free to help me out!

-----------------------------------------------------
    1. As i read the noob tutorials here, in one example:
    http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...t-In-The-Money

Exercise: In the Money Strategies

3players. 1player all-ins(had 3k) i have 4.7k.
    If i call(match the current bet) - the tutorial says "if you call you are commited".

But if i all-in i am also commited! And if i call i get the same size pot as if i will all-in.

I dont understand whats the difference then!
    ----------
    2. I have decided to have some goals while learning. Are they enough for a begginer?
    a) Noticing if i fold correctly
    b) Trying to figure it out if am i reckless/playing correctly while betting/calling/all-in.
    c) When i loose the hand - did i played correctly and lost because of bad beat or weak luck?

Are these goals enough for beginner or i do need much more?

------------
    3. The best way to analyse the games is to post hands on zoom and watch later or post zoom videos in the forums asking advice?

Any other things to paying attention to or trying? It seems calculating outs is too big of a task right now
    Last edited by Pokermancer8; Sat Jan 18, 2014, 02:37 PM. Reason: more questions

Originally posted by Pokermancer8 View Post
    Hello, i will ask some questions here once in a while. Feel free to help me out!

If i call(match the current bet) - the tutorial says "if you call you are commited".

But if i all-in i am also commited! And if i call i get the same size pot as if i will all-in.
    I think what it is saying if player 1 is all in and you call, you will have 1.7k chips left if player 3 then raises you cannot fold (it would be incorrect), therefore you may as well push all in to show your not going to fold.

Grade b
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hi Pokermancer8! Anytime that I have to put over 1/3 of my remaining chips into the pot, I'm pot-committed and cannot fold. Due to this, I have two choices, shove or fold. I cannot call in these situations. Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24)
      Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by JWK24 View Post
        Hi Pokermancer8! Anytime that I have to put over 1/3 of my remaining chips into the pot, I'm pot-committed and cannot fold. Due to this, I have two choices, shove or fold. I cannot call in these situations. Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24)
        Would you be kind to answer my second question? That is the most concerning for me as i am almost clueless(all beginners are ) P.S. i already read courses in this website that are very informative!

Comment

Hi Pokermancer8!

I'm probably the last one that you'd want to have answer that one. Setting goals, etc is one thing that I'm not very good with.

John (JWK24)
          Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Today i am looking at the tournament/freeroll

But it states - tournament money is usd.
            Buy-in: 10FPP.

So in this tournament i can loose my usd? And i will definately loose 10FPP?

Is there any tournament in tournament/freeroll where you can loose real money?

And tournaments with tickets with buy-in freeroll are also 100% true that you wont lose real money if you enter that tournament?
            Last edited by Pokermancer8; Sun Jan 19, 2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Another small question:

Ticket=$1000 depositor freeroll multi-entry

What does that suppose to mean? That the ticket is worth 1k usd as an entry? and multi-entry is what?

And why its called freeroll if it requires 1ticket.
              Somehow i have 1ticket, no idea where i got it from.

Comment

Looks like you got the ticket for a month for making a deposit.

Use the ticket to play the freerolls.

Comment

Thanks for answer.

Also.. what tournament stats this website takes into account??

I played yesterday one and finished in the middle. But no stats are here. I played freeroll regional.

Comment

The stats as far as I am aware are from the open and skill leagues. There for any other type off sng mtt cash game don't count towards those stats.

Comment

Today i am looking at the tournament/freeroll

But it states - tournament money is usd.
                      Buy-in: 10FPP.

So in this tournament i can loose my usd? And i will definately loose 10FPP?

Is there any tournament in tournament/freeroll where you can loose real money?

And tournaments with tickets with buy-in freeroll are also 100% true that you wont lose real money if you enter that tournament?

Th ebuy in is $0.00 usd and 10fps, any cash prizes would be paid out in USD

Grade b
                      I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I dont understand whats the difference then!
                        ----------
                        2. I have decided to have some goals while learning. Are they enough for a begginer?
                        a) Noticing if i fold correctly
                        b) Trying to figure it out if am i reckless/playing correctly while betting/calling/all-in.
                        c) When i loose the hand - did i played correctly and lost because of bad beat or weak luck?

Are these goals enough for beginner or i do need much more?

------------
                        3. The best way to analyse the games is to post hands on zoom and watch later or post zoom videos in the forums asking advice?

Any other things to paying attention to or trying? It seems calculating outs is too big of a task right now

Goals...well the key is are these goals something you feel you can achieve.

Do you know what you need to do to meet your goals.

Do you have a time period in mind to work on your goals.

If the answer to these is yes then they are a good start.

You need a plan of how to achieve your goals not just goals.

Cavet - Like JWK I am not a great goal setter myself, however I am trying to improve.

my current attent can be seen here.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...ss-for-Grade-b

others have 2014 and 2013 goals up and you ca browse through them.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Big thanks for some thoughts on goals. They are important.
                          I made some goals and i feel i improved 10 times! In 2days.

1. Is it illegal to post boom hands?

Comment

Boom hands are allowed.

here is a thread on boom hands in the forum

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...highlight=boom

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Another short questions which is nowhere to be found as explanation!
                              I dont want to bother with novice questions

There are hold'em tables with buy-in $0.80 - $5

1. And as a beginner im confused, do i pay 5usd and if later i lose my all chips i lose that $5?
                              2. Can i rebuy chips at that table without losing those $5?
                              3. How should i know the table charges me $5 or just $0.80?
                              4. I sometimes have jumpy internet connection. If i get disconnected i do lose buy-in after that completely?

P.S. i never tried zoom either.. Looks even more complicated.

5. Tournament title has "bronzestar 20FPP..." in there.

Does that mean only bronzestar players can enter there? Or is bronzestar is the minimum required to enter the tournament?

6. How cool are time tournaments? (im just curious)

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.