PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shallow Stack tables

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shallow Stack tables

What is a good statergy for the 40bb max buy in tables.

These seem to be the loosest tables at FullTilt micro stakes

Grade b
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

any ideas?

Grade b
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Playing a solid short-stack strategy is a bit too complicated to explain in a paragraph or two, but with a maximum buy-in of 40bb, you generally need to tighten up your hand selection, but counter-intuitively be prepared to play for stacks with "light" hands a lot more often.
      I would recommend you avoid playing "speculative" hands (baby pairs, suited connectors) and stick with hands that make good top pairs and overpairs, because your play will often consist of raising pre-flop, and then stacking off on the flop/turn if and when you connect.
      A good understanding of SPR (stack to pot ratio) and committment thresholds will help you here. The crucial point to understand is that with shallow stacks (which you've no doubt got experience of in tourneys) is that you can commit to getting all in on early streets pretty light, primarily because villains will be similarly committed if they also hit the flop (often with worse hands, if they are loose/bad).
      You'll find yourself in lots of races, including pre-flop (where hands like TT and AQ become stack off hands, when they wouldn't be for 100bbb) so the variance could be quite crazy, but if your range is tighter than average, you should make money in the long run, as you'll often be getting it in with a dominant hand (AQ>AJ, JJ>TT etc). Good luck!
      Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Tue Oct 01, 2013, 03:08 AM.
      Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
        Playing a solid short-stack strategy is a bit too complicated to explain in a paragraph or two, but with a maximum buy-in of 40bb, you generally need to tighten up your hand selection, but counter-intuitively be prepared to play for stacks with "light" hands a lot more often.
        I would recommend you avoid playing "speculative" hands (baby pairs, suited connectors) and stick with hands that make good top pairs and overpairs, because your play will often consist of raising pre-flop, and then stacking off on the flop/turn if and when you connect.
        A good understanding of SPR (stack to pot ratio) and committment thresholds will help you here. The crucial point to understand is that with shallow stacks (which you've no doubt got experience of in tourneys) is that you can commit to getting all in on early streets pretty light, primarily because villains will be similarly committed if they also hit the flop (often with worse hands, if they are loose/bad).
        You'll find yourself in lots of races, including pre-flop (where hands like TT and AQ become stack off hands, when they wouldn't be for 100bbb) so the variance could be quite crazy, but if your range is tighter than average, you should make money in the long run, as you'll often be getting it in with a dominant hand (AQ>AJ, JJ>TT etc). Good luck!

ugg ty Arty,

Might have to stear clear of them for a while till I feel brave enough to rewatch Thelangoliers SPR video, it makes my head spin.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
        X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.