PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the pot odds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the pot odds?

Hi,

Pot odds question - to understand if I am calculating odds right.

Hero on the BTN holding a suited connector
    Villain calls in the SB.

The flop comes, and there is a OESD (8 outs) for hero.

Pot is $100

Villain checks the flop

Hero c-bets 50% pot to take down the pot there and then.

Pot is now $150.

Villain raises, but min-raises to $100

Pot now is $250

Now this is where I want to make sure about pot odds....

Is the hero getting 250:50 = 5:1 pot odds = 16% equity, and since hero has an OESD, hero has around breakeven equity 16% (8 outs provided it doesn't give villain an even better hand) to call this minraise to improve to a better hand than villain. Is this a correct calculation?

Is this the reason why minraises are bad? This is for cash games.

pullin1988

You've got it right. Pots odds = size of pot:cost of calling.

Minraises are bad precisely for this reason. You can pretty much always call a minraise with any draw that has 8 outs or more.

When calling with a draw, you can factor in some implied odds too, if stacks are deep enough. Villain is likely to bet at least half pot on the river, so you're really calling 50 to win 250 + about 125.
    Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hi pullin1988!

The easy way to look at it is...

pot odds = what I have to put into the pot / what the pot will be once I put the chips in

In this situation, I have to put 50 into the pot and the pot will be 300 when I put it in, so 50/300 = 16.7%.

John (JWK24)
      Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

cheers guys

Comment

Working...
        X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.