PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discuss my tournament

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss my tournament

Hi Everyone,

I would like us to discuss this tournament "No Limit Hold'em Freeroll" and like to have any suggestions as to what I should have done differently.

I only wanted to play monster hands but unfortunately I did not get any except ones where I got AK and did not make the cut off time so my hand folded. But this too was a blessing because the player next to me got a flush that round.

So basically what I am trying to get out of this session is to help me improve my game and maybe get some solid thoughts as to what I should have done.

I have attached the Export from Pokerstars app.

Looking forward to your reply.
    Attached Files

Must be my ineptness with computers, I couldn't get the link to work. Screen just freezes on me.

Comment

Funny

That is funny because it works when I open it. Are you trying to open it with notepad? Because that works for me.

I will try and paste the content below:
      PokerStars Hand #92711649827: Tournament #662777357, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level X (200/400) - 2013/01/21 9:19:59 CUST [2013/01/21 2:19:59 ET]
      Table '662777357 570' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
      Seat 1: EWM1202 (28827 in chips)
      Seat 2: MasterBlixem (390 in chips)
      Seat 3: Sir Jhon (1880 in chips)
      Seat 4: saxplayer54 (4005 in chips)
      Seat 5: vipera7623 (17900 in chips)
      Seat 6: holymennn (16410 in chips)
      Seat 7: Satouro (5440 in chips)
      Seat 8: PavlukJarda (4504 in chips) is sitting out
      Seat 9: Kabapu (23310 in chips)
      EWM1202: posts the ante 40
      MasterBlixem: posts the ante 40
      Sir Jhon: posts the ante 40
      saxplayer54: posts the ante 40
      vipera7623: posts the ante 40
      holymennn: posts the ante 40
      Satouro: posts the ante 40
      PavlukJarda: posts the ante 40
      Kabapu: posts the ante 40
      PavlukJarda: posts small blind 200
      Kabapu: posts big blind 400
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to MasterBlixem [Td 6s]
      EWM1202: folds
      MasterBlixem: folds
      Sir Jhon: folds
      saxplayer54: folds
      vipera7623: folds
      holymennn: calls 400
      Satouro: folds
      PavlukJarda: folds
      Kabapu: checks
      *** FLOP *** [8c 8s Ah]
      Kabapu: checks
      holymennn: checks
      *** TURN *** [8c 8s Ah] [Ks]
      Kabapu: bets 800
      holymennn: folds
      Uncalled bet (800) returned to Kabapu
      Kabapu collected 1360 from pot
      Kabapu: doesn't show hand
      *** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot 1360 | Rake 0
      Board [8c 8s Ah Ks]
      Seat 1: EWM1202 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 2: MasterBlixem folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 3: Sir Jhon folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 4: saxplayer54 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 5: vipera7623 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 6: holymennn folded on the Turn
      Seat 7: Satouro (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 8: PavlukJarda (small blind) folded before Flop
      Seat 9: Kabapu (big blind) collected (1360)

PokerStars Hand #92711661420: Tournament #662777357, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level X (200/400) - 2013/01/21 9:20:46 CUST [2013/01/21 2:20:46 ET]
      Table '662777357 570' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
      Seat 1: EWM1202 (28787 in chips)
      Seat 2: MasterBlixem (350 in chips)
      Seat 3: Sir Jhon (1840 in chips)
      Seat 4: saxplayer54 (3965 in chips)
      Seat 5: vipera7623 (17860 in chips)
      Seat 6: holymennn (15970 in chips)
      Seat 7: Satouro (5400 in chips)
      Seat 8: PavlukJarda (4264 in chips) is sitting out
      Seat 9: Kabapu (24230 in chips)
      Kabapu: posts small blind 200
      EWM1202: posts big blind 400
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to MasterBlixem [6h 8c]
      MasterBlixem: folds
      Sir Jhon: folds
      vipera7623 is disconnected
      vipera7623 is connected
      vipera7623: calls 400
      holymennn: raises 15530 to 15930 and is all-in
      Kabapu: folds
      vipera7623: calls 15530
      *** FLOP *** [Ts 8h 9h]
      *** TURN *** [Ts 8h 9h] [Jd]
      *** RIVER *** [Ts 8h 9h Jd] [4d]
      *** SHOW DOWN ***
      vipera7623: shows [Jh Ah] (a pair of Jacks)
      holymennn: shows [8s Qs] (a straight, Eight to Queen)
      holymennn collected 32820 from pot
      *** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot 32820 | Rake 0
      Board [Ts 8h 9h Jd 4d]
      Seat 1: EWM1202 (big blind) folded before Flop
      Seat 2: MasterBlixem folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 3: Sir Jhon folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 5: vipera7623 showed [Jh Ah] and lost with a pair of Jacks
      Seat 6: holymennn showed [8s Qs] and won (32820) with a straight, Eight to Queen
      Seat 7: Satouro folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 8: PavlukJarda (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 9: Kabapu (small blind) folded before Flop

PokerStars Hand #92711668725: Tournament #662777357, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level X (200/400) - 2013/01/21 9:21:15 CUST [2013/01/21 2:21:15 ET]
      Table '662777357 570' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
      Seat 1: EWM1202 (28347 in chips)
      Seat 2: MasterBlixem (310 in chips)
      Seat 3: Sir Jhon (1800 in chips)
      Seat 4: saxplayer54 (3925 in chips)
      Seat 5: vipera7623 (1890 in chips)
      Seat 6: holymennn (32820 in chips)
      Seat 7: Satouro (5360 in chips)
      Seat 8: PavlukJarda (4224 in chips) is sitting out
      Seat 9: Kabapu (23990 in chips)
      EWM1202: posts small blind 200
      MasterBlixem: posts big blind 270 and is all-in
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to MasterBlixem [Jd 4h]
      Sir Jhon: calls 400
      vipera7623: raises 1450 to 1850 and is all-in
      holymennn: folds
      Kabapu: folds
      Sir Jhon: calls 1360 and is all-in
      Uncalled bet (90) returned to vipera7623
      *** FLOP *** [3h 9c 2s]
      *** TURN *** [3h 9c 2s] [Qd]
      *** RIVER *** [3h 9c 2s Qd] [6c]
      *** SHOW DOWN ***
      Sir Jhon: shows [7h 9h] (a pair of Nines)
      vipera7623: shows [As 3s] (a pair of Threes)
      Sir Jhon collected 2980 from side pot
      MasterBlixem: shows [Jd 4h] (high card Queen)
      Sir Jhon collected 1370 from main pot
      MasterBlixem finished the tournament in 857th place
      *** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot 4350 Main pot 1370. Side pot 2980. | Rake 0
      Board [3h 9c 2s Qd 6c]
      Seat 1: EWM1202 (small blind) folded before Flop
      Seat 2: MasterBlixem (big blind) showed [Jd 4h] and lost with high card Queen
      Seat 3: Sir Jhon showed [7h 9h] and won (4350) with a pair of Nines
      Seat 5: vipera7623 showed [As 3s] and lost with a pair of Threes
      Seat 6: holymennn folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 7: Satouro folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 8: PavlukJarda folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 9: Kabapu (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Comment

Hi MasterBlixem, Here's a video about how to use our hand replayer, you might find it useful for posting those hands for review
        Raiser umbup:

Comment

Pitty

Hi,

I see that it only has a a couple of hands in and not as many as I hoped, so it will not really help because I folded my hold cards.

Thanks for the effort anyway.

Comment

The first two hands that you posted both had you with bad starting hands in early position so good folds there. The third hand saw you all-in after getting short stacked so not much you could have done there. As it was a freeroll tourmament I'm guessing that there was a large field with some very loose/aggressive opposition as is common in these games. What areas of your game would you say weakest at or what would you like the most help with? Raiser umbup:

Comment

Hi Raiser,

Thanks for your reply, well I don't really know where to concentrate on. I have tried varies strategies. Everything from PokerSchoolOnline to ******************'s guidelines. But it just seems like none of them are working.

So I guess I would like a solid strategy that one can follow.

And it is properly just me but it seems like I just don't get good hold cards on PokerStars anymore.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBlixem View Post
                Hi Raiser, And it is properly just me but it seems like I just don't get good hold cards on PokerStars anymore. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks again.
                Firstly try to remember that PokerStars won't make any more money depending on who wins the hand. Instead they make their profit from the rake charged which will be the same whether you win the pot or your opponent does, it doesn't matter who. Personally I believe I get the same amount of good/bad hands as anyone else playing at PokerStars and I've been around the school here long enough now to know that profitable players are always the ones that put a lot of work into improving their game. I would suggest doing these two steps below for now and once you have answered them we can move on. Immprovement's will take time and is dependant on how much of your time you are willing to invest. Firstly decide what is you prefered type of game. Is it Multi-table Tournaments, Sit n' Gos, Cash Games? What buy-in you should play depending on your bankroll etc. Next decide how many hours you can commit to this every week? Have a think about it, make a decision and post what you want to do here in this thread and we can draw up a plan. Raiser umbup:

Comment

Raiser, Ones again thank you for you help, I really do appreciate it. Answer 1 I am still a bit undecided because as far as I can see Cash Games is what most pro's play and make good money with it. Tournaments are a bit harder to win but if you do win it is a very good ROI. Sit and Go games to me is only to make a quick buck, but not really an option if you want to start doing it for a living. Please correct me if I am wrong in any way. But that is how I see it at this stage in time. So it would either have to be Cash or Tournament. If I have to choose one of the bat it would probably be Tournaments as I think this is the best way to make a living out of poker (which is my goal). And as stated please correct me if you think I am wrong? I am open to any suggestions. Bankroll wise, I deposit a $100 every month to play around with and test my skills, and I read an article the other day suggesting that I should start playing only $4 buy-in games to build my bankroll. Would this be your suggestion too? I played the Freeroll again today and for some reason my hands just don't work out. Please look at my last hand in the tournament and let me know if it was the correct play? Ones again thank you so much for your time and I hope to learn a lot from you. Looking forward to your reply.

Comment

Hi MasterBlixem! For proper bankroll management, a player should have 100 buy-ins for any tournament they are looking to play. If you have $100 in your account, if you want to follow good bankroll management, you should only be playing $1 tourneys or lower. I don't agree with much in the KK hand. Here's how I'd have played it. With KK, I'm going to make a standard opening raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 2 limpers, I'm going to raise to 5BB or 350. I then get min-raised. When this happens, with a premium hand, I want to re-raise and will do so with a standard raise sizing (to 3X the previous bet). Due to this, I'll now raise to 1050. I do not want to be raising smaller, as that can give the opp the correct odds to outdraw me. The flop brings and underpair and the opp checks to me. I will make a c-bet here and will size it at 1/2 pot. However, if I had made standard raises preflop, there are enough chips in the pot that I will be pot-committed, so I will shove the flop. On the flop/turn/river, I want to size my bets based on the pot size, the number of opps and the board texture and always make standard bets. By making standard bet sizes throughout the hand, the opp has no clue what cards I'm playing, as I'll make the same bets with any hand I'm playing. If the opp wants to stay and chase with a worse hand when I have them make a -EV call each street (a call where they expect to lose chips on average)... that's what I want. Yes, they will get lucky and draw out a given % of the time, but if they make negative plays over and over, I will come out ahead in the long run. Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24)
                    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hi Raiser,

Sorry forgot to answer one of your questions, with regards to the amount of time per week. I will be able to dedicate at least 45 hours per week.

Dear John/JWK24,

Thank you so much for your input, it is always much appreciated if you guys take the time to reply to my messages.

With regards to the bankroll, I will definitely adapt my strategy to 100xBuyIn and see how it works out as it makes sense.

With regards to keeping a consistent raise throughout the tournament, I read that you should try to grow the pot as much as possible with monster hands (which I tried, and succeeded but had bad luck on the river). However your method makes more sense from a consistency point of view to have your opponent wonder what you have throughout the tournament.

So thanks again for the tip. I will definitely try to apply it on my future games and see if it betters my game.

Ones again thanks for your inputs.

Comment

Hi MasterBlixem!

Since there are no physical tells that a player can get (since all you're doing is looking at a computer screen), bet sizes are the largest tell to most online players.
                        Players that bet more with good hands and less with speculative hands basically turn their cards face up to an observant opponent. It's something that I always look for.

However, with standard bet sizes, the opp won't have a clue whether I'm playing AA, 77, 33, AK, JTs or a total bluff with 27o. They get absolutely no information about my hand due to my bet sizes.

John (JWK24)
                        Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hi John,

Well stated and thanks for the tip. Will use it to my advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBlixem View Post
                            I am still a bit undecided because as far as I can see Cash Games is what most pro's play and make good money with it. Tournaments are a bit harder to win but if you do win it is a very good ROI. Sit and Go games to me is only to make a quick buck, but not really an option if you want to start doing it for a living.

Please correct me if I am wrong in any way. But that is how I see it at this stage in time.
                            There are professionals that specialize in cash games, pros that mainly play multi-table tourneys, and grinders that play thousands of sit n gos. (Tom Dwan and Phil Galfond both built their rolls playing SnGs, before concentrating on high stakes cash).

Each type of game has different bankroll requirements because of the amount of variance involved. For cash games, you can get by on 25-35 buy-ins because it's a steady grind. For SnGs, 30-50 buy-ins might be more appropriate. For big-field tourneys, 100-300 buy-ins are necessary, because you can play an awful lot of tourneys before you get a decent win, and will have long barren spells, during which you'd go busto if you didn't have a decent roll to start with.

My main piece of advice, however, would be to not even think about becoming a "pro" just yet. It can take 100,000 hands or so before you've worked out which type of game you like, as well as got a good idea of your winrate. For the time being, focus on learning the games at the lowest stakes possible, and try and enjoy yourself. Good luck!
                            Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hi ArtySmokesPS,

Thanks for your reply and bankroll suggestions / info. I have noted your Game Type to Buy-in ratios and will be using them as guidelines in the future.

Do you recommend any specific Type for the best ROI?

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.