PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

strategies book for beginners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strategies book for beginners

Hi
    I'd like to read my first poker book but I have no idea which one, Could you please recommend a good one?

Thank you so much

What format of poker do you play?

I can recommend "Easy Game" volume I and II as an easy to understand guide for NLHE

(goggle easy game pdf)

Currently reading super system II (just started)which covers different forms of poker.

Grade b
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Well I am still exploring but yeah NLHE seems a good option. Thank so much Grade

Comment

i always recomend Viz (xmas edition) to read

Comment

HI Cindy, the book companies and aurthors will hate me for this one,

A simple choice Cindy, do not waste your money on a book,

POker situations can never be the same, we would like to think we could go of a book, but no Im afraid, not as the situations change in any given moment.

Practice with play chips, call every thing to see if your reads are correct, live training and the videos on this forum will give you far superior knowledge compared to a book.

Learn your starting hand ranges against opps, and thats it your away.

Watch a table, dont even play on it just watch, each and every player in the pot, try to read ,have a good guess at what cards they have, start with one card,just naming one card their highest, sometimes they will muck, watch micros, theres more call downs.

And thats my advice that is open to debate.

Comment

Here's a previous thread with some reading recommendations.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...nd-IRC-Channel

I think there are quite a few other threads as well, which you can look for using the search functionality.

As far as the previous posters thoughts, people learn best using different methods or combinations thereof. The individual is best able to decide which method(s) work for them. Reading, watching videos, watching others, attending live training, reading hand analyses, working though the courses, talking with other players and practicing what you've learned are all good ways to learn the game.

Find what works best for you.

Comment

delete

nevermind.hiccup

later
              Last edited by effsea; Sat Jan 19, 2013, 06:23 PM.
              Poker Rule #1....Never listen to me...hiccup

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

TBF to Holdem, almost everything can be found on this site. I'm mostly self taught and things it took me years to figure out are on here, everything else can be found out by a question on the forum.

There's no right way to play poker although there's definitely a wrong way. You can make a profit by playing loose aggressive, tight aggressive, you can even eek out a profit by playing a loose passive calling station game.

I haven't read many poker books but I do remember reading Super System 2 many years ago which put me on tilt. That book was geared to high stakes games while I tried to apply it to micro stakes which didn't work. I've recently read (again and again) "The Poker Mindset" and while it's no good for basics it can really help you mentally understand the game.

What I'm trying to say is there's no definitive instruction manual for poker or else we'd all be using it and nobody would make any money. By all means buy a book, read it and apply some of the strategies in it but I think it's much more important to ask questions and give views on here.
                Bracelet Winner

Comment

Unfortunatly most poker books are geared for absolute beginners or high stakes - if ya wanting to learn the game id look at some of the fixed limit videos and take it from there.

Comment

Working...
                  X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.