PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slowplay or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowplay or not?

I have on the button. Everybody folds, I raise 3.5 BB. SB and BB call. The flop is . Both players check. Can I slowplay here or should I just go ahead and bet?

Bet, with two clubs on the board and two other players in the pot you don't want to give anyone a free card.

Comment

Hi Beginner358!

I'd normally say no to slowplaying with a flush or straight draw available, but would need to know the stack sizes, type of table, any reads on the opp, etc... in order to make an informed decision.

John (JWK24)
      Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

You want to slowplay when a free card has little to no chance of making your hand second best but a good chance of giving someone else a second best hand.

Comment

My personal experience at the lower stakes is that slowplaying is bad. They either have a tendensee to call any draw or with an overcard. Or the fold if they don't hit.

I still believe most value is to be won to betting 2-3streets at least. And if draws came out be willing to check river and even fold if needed.
          Not to mention if he hits his overcard. He's never going to fold. Just make sure you have the best hand at the river most of the time if you bet there again.

I think I never slowplayed a hand at microstakes yet. Cause they just call gutshots and so on on the turn. Or over call 4th pair (Pocket pair 44) on a 6QA rainbow board.

My approach in cashgames NL2

Comment

I would ALMOST never slow play that board against 2 opps. but what John says has validity.
            make em pay for their draws is my advice in most all situations like this. future reactions by your opps. and the turn and river cards will dictate future bets and their size.
            May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Comment

I have on the button. Everybody folds, I raise 3.5 BB.
              SB and BB call.
              The flop is . Both players check.
              Can I slowplay here or should I just go ahead and bet?

Read more: Poker Assessment http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...#ixzz3CuhX5YlX

Comment

I have Qc10c on the button. Everybody folds, I raise 3.5 BB.
                SB and BB call.
                The flop is Qh8h2d. Both players check.

Comment

Originally posted by hiddencloud View Post
                  I have Qc10c on the button. Everybody folds, I raise 3.5 BB.
                  SB and BB call.
                  The flop is Qh8h2d. Both players check.
                  With flush and straight draws out there along with an A or K that can hit on the turn and 2 opps.. I'm betting 2/3 pot.

John (JWK24)
                  Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Keeping in mind we are totally readless as it's a generic question without even the stakes given...

Hand 1 is a clear value bet, and it's not even close.

Hand 2 is less clear... I would like to have some top pair combos in my flop check back range generally, and this hand could qualify as I'd generally be betting most of my AQ/KQ combos or value. In microstakes I would tend to just bet mostly though as they'll call with so many worse/bad hands.
                    Head Live Trainer
                    Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                    X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.