PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hands impossible to price out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hands impossible to price out

Is it possible to bet enough on the flop to deny the odds of an opponent who’s drawing to 14 outs to improve (51.2% probability to hit and odds against success of 0.95 to 1) ? I find it mathematically impossible to price out anyone who is a favorite to win or is at least flipping with more than 49.9999% equity in a hand. In a nutshell, all we can do is value bet these monster draws to charge them to chase their draw, but it won’t make them fold their hand (prolly it’s even a better idea to fold your hand right now before he outdraws you by the turn or river)... Talk about making an opponent fold his 21 outer! I believe that hands with 14 outs or more are impossible to price out. Is a 13 outer still vulnerable to being priced out? Thnx for the help fellows! umbup:

Hi SuperRascal! It's impossible to price out any hand with over 50% equity, as a player can never put more than this amount into the pot. Hope this helps.umbup: John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Am I right in thinking the most outs you can count in NL without knowing your opponents hole cards is 14? ie an open ended straight flush draw ?
      Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Ovalman View Post
        Am I right in thinking the most outs you can count in NL without knowing your opponents hole cards is 14? ie an open ended straight flush draw ?
        Hi Ovalman!

The highest I can come up with is a combo flush/OESD with 2 overs. ex: QJ spades with flop of 10 sp, 9sp, x.

I have 9 outs to the flush, three 8's, three K's, three Q's and three J's.... for 21 outs.

John (JWK24)
        Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

John is right, by definition "pricing out" means charging such a high price that the odds the pot are laying are worse than the hands odds to win (making a call -EV). A hand that is favorite to win can't be priced out because the call will always be +EV, in fact the more that goes in the pot the more it makes in profit over time.

In a nutshell, all we can do is value bet these monster draws to charge them to chase their draw
          if the opponent hand is the favorite to win, you are giving value, not getting it.

You might have the "made hand" right now on the flop, but if you're shoving vs. a monster draw that is favorite to win, your shove ends up being -EV since you're the underdog to win at showdown. Although it's a bit of a strange concept, essentially as the underdog hand it is YOU who is drawing (drawing to 2 blanks in this case).
          Last edited by TheLangolier; Fri Jun 08, 2012, 08:28 PM.
          Head Live Trainer
          Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hi JWK, the reason I say is should you count your 3 Q's and 3 J's as outs? Top pair with an average kicker is not a strong hand and will lose as many times it will win.

I did mean 15 outs, a typo mistake (9 flush draw outs combined with 6 outs to hit the straight) .

I've never counted the extra outs to make top pair as invariably it gets me into more trouble than it's worth.

Any thoughts?
            Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hi Ovalman,

It will depend on my read of the opp. Sometimes I'll count them, sometimes I won't... but you asked for the maximum number and 21 is what it can be.

John (JWK24)
              Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.