PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you manage your bankroll and avoid tilting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you manage your bankroll and avoid tilting?

I'm in a game right now, I bought in with 40, I got one good hand. I folded with everything else and now I'm down to 18.

I guess my question is, where do you draw the line?

I have been told that I should always have 50x the buy in.

So let's say the buy in is $1.00. I have $50.00. What happens if I lose that $1? Do I just stop playing Poker until I can make up for it?

Hi Neil!

If your bankroll standard tells you to only play the $1 games with a minimum of $50 and you lose $1, then the logical action to take would be to move down to a lower buy-in. If there is no lower buy-in, then what you do is up to you, but I'd suggest using the 50 buy-in rule for every level above the lowest buy-in. Gaining experience playing the game is important if you want to get better, and you can't do that if you can't play. If you bust, then just reload.

Alternatively, you could play freerolls until you make up the difference.

Something a lot of people do is set a minimum amount of buy-ins for moving up in stakes, but a slightly lower number for dropping back down. For example, mine looks like this:

$1.50 - Start at $150 tournaments, play until I move up or bust

$3.50 - Move up to $3.50 tournaments when I have $350, move back down when I have $262.50

$7 - Move up to $7 tournaments when I have $700, move back down when I have $525

Comment

Given your game choice, I'd recommend you watch these videos:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...deos-Chipstar1

If you think you might be playing too tight, you can use the info that you find in our pro videos to improve your hand selection skills. There's a lot of other great stuff you can learn, too. The pro videos are pretty awesome.

Comment

That video looks pretty good for me, I'm watching it right now. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.