PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assigning a range with little to no intel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assigning a range with little to no intel

Hey fellow poker schoolers. I was just wondering post flop what kind of range should I assign to someone who I have little to no intel on? Someone who I have no history playing against. Should I just do it based on what they did pre-flop or is thee a good rule of thumb?

Thanks for your time.

4153holliday

Base it on position and stack size.. then from there, look at what % of hands the player is actually playing, once we get info on them.

John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Online Poker League
    Can you win the leaderboard?

Comment

As always the inestimable JWK24 is succinct and hits the nail on the head. (I really must work on incorporating stack size into my mental routine!)

As I'm still a very basic learner, I like to assign a percentage opening range to each seat - e.g. 10% to UTG; 25% to mid table; and so on. I then try to think of what that range involves - i.e. 10% = 88+, A9s+, etc. I then check my cheat sheet to verify if my ranging is correct.

I use these ranges as default behaviour that I should expect from each player in their position. Therefore, I assume the UTG will probably play a narrow range and tend to raise most, if not all, of their hands. If at some point I find that they limp or show a hand that is in a broader range, I then have new information on that player and put that information into their notes. As I find out more info, I add more to their notes.

I suspect if I ever get better at the game I will be able to make this system more efficient, but for now I just need to do the work in order to reinforce my learning and hammer home the various range. I have a great memory for all science subjects. For poker ranges, not so much!

Comment

Working...
      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.