PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shallow money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shallow money

Could someone please explain in simple terms the difference between deep and shallow money.

I understand the concept im just not which is deep and which is shallow

Cheers Steve

I am surprised no one has responded. I will give this my best shot, but if Noodles reads this , He is the best at giving these types of explanations.

"Deep" money is when you and/or most players have a lot of chips or money is relation to the blinds. Example is when a 10,000 chips tourny starts and the blinds are 25-50. Your stack is 200 times the big blind.

"Shallow" money is when you do NOT have a lot of chips/money in relation to the blinds. Example is when you have 5,000 in chips and the antes are 200 with blinds at 500 and 1000. With a 10-person table that means a "lap" of blinds and antes cost you 3500. That eats up a stack very quickly.

There are a lot of strategic decisions based on the ratio of you stack size to the big blind.

Hope this helps.

Shane aka Jeff

Comment

Just a suggestion, but perhaps, since this is a school, a "poker glossary" might be helpful (I wasn't sure quite how this was defined, either!).

Dan
      "Windlord"

Comment

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/pok...glossary-a.htm[/url]

Comment

a-HA!

Thanx, ironside! There must be many such gems deeply buried in this site.

Still, I noticed the "deep-" and "shallow-money" aren't in there...

Dan
          "Windlord"

Comment

In tournament play I tend to think the number of trips around the table I can buy with my current stack. More than 10 rounds I tend to play normal. Under 10 to 4 rounds I expand my choices some, but I want to be able to make a move and not give opponents proper odds to call (as is that stops most of them). Under 3 and it is usually push and pray.

Somewhere around 10 rounds or 1/2 of par stack is where I feel "shallow" money play begins in PSO toruneys.

Comment

Deep means there is a lot of money in play at the table in relation to the blinds/ante. Shallow means the opposite.

For example, in a raised pot, if it was over 10% of relevant stacks to call a bet, then you are in a shallow money situation. 10% or less to call is deep.

In an unraised pot, probably around 20X BB stacks is the borderline, with a bit bit more with an ante. Something around that, roughly.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info
                This is why i love poker school

Keep up the good work all
                and keep smiling 8)

Comment

Working...
                X