PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another "lucky" call by me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "lucky" call by me?

$50 limit holdem 1000 starting chips, 28 starters 11 left, the table is six handed
    I have apx 600
    UTG has 440
    The BB has apx 900

>>>DEALING HOLE CARDS<<<
    57sauce dealt down Qh 2c
    SB posts the small blind $200
    57sauce posts the big blind $300
    UTG calls $300
    PLAYER A folds
    PLAYER B folds
    PLAYER C folds
    SB calls $100
    57sauce checks
    >>>DEALING FLOP<<< [ Jh Kd As ]
    SB checks
    57sauce checks
    UTG bets $140 and is all-in
    SB folds
    57sauce called time
    57sauce calls $140
    UTG shows cards Js Ac
    57sauce shows cards Qh 2c
    >>>DEALING TURN<<< [ Th ]
    >>>DEALING RIVER<<< [ 9s ]
    57sauce wins $1,180
    57sauce won with an ace high straight
    UTG finishes in 11th place

Now at the end of the hand I got some flack for the call, was I right to? I was getting 1:8 pot odds for a four outer (not including a runner runner Q or duce). (1:12on the turn, 1:11 on the river?) Do these odds justify a call? Even if I was getting the full 1:12 to call do I still do it, because of my shallow money?

Thanks for the help again,
    --Matt--

dont know about lottery hold em but in nlhe its a no brainer call

Comment

UTG should have raised pre-flop instaed of limping. Short-handed with a micro-stack you raise with ace-paint EVERY TIME. And even then you would have been right to call from the BB. If the SB, getting 3.9:1, called you're getting 8.4:1 odds and 6.7:1 if they don't. Against likely holding of Ax, Kxs, paint-paint, or any pair you are getting the right odds. Only up against AA, KK, KQ, QJ are you a big dog.

As it unfolded you were faced with a $140 call for a $1040 pot for 7.4:1 pot odds. You needed a 10 or runner-runner Q or 2 to win. The 4-outer 10 is 5:1 and the runner-runner potential (0.2%) has negligible impact. However since Ax or Kx are likely holdings for the UTG's raise, if you add runner-runner two pair to the mix your odds improve to 4.6:1. You are getting a healthy overlay to your call, so it is an automatic call here.

I would make a case for betting the flop here and giving UTG (who could have limped with a small pair as easily as with AJ) a decision. If you are going to call anyway why not bet. This should be done ONLY when you are reasonably sure that SB wouldn't check-raise however.

Was it a bad call, NO WAY!

Comment

Working...
      X