PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bankroll Builder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bankroll Builder

Hi!

I'm new to pokerschoolonline. I was just wondering if I qualify for the promotion.

Thanks!
    Justin

Hi justinlee123, You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!umbup: The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session. Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL full ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer
    John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I had Ace Jack off suit. I raised preflop. I didn't hit anything and someone raised with a Queen on the board. I folded because if someone had the Queen, I would require an Ace to beat them. Did I make the right play in folding or should I have called because his/her raise was small? How do you determine when it is worth the risk of calling and when it isn't? Thanks, Justin

Comment

Hi Justin! With AJ I have a limp, then a min raise. I'll make a 3-bet here and size it at 3X the previous bet (a standard raise is to between 3X the previous bet and a pot-sized raise), so I'll bet 12 chips. I see the flop 6-ways and totally miss. There is a min bet (really abnormal, as post-flop bets should be sized according to the size of the pot, not the BB amount). Honestly, even though I'm priced in, will answer your ? at the end, I'm going to muck here. Even if I get a J or an A, I may still be behind, so I'll save my chips for a better situation. Here is how to determine whether or not you're priced in for a draw. First, you need to know the pot equity that you'll have, which is 'how many chips i need to call' divided by 'the size of the pot after my chips would go into it'. This % is my pot equity. I then need to know how many outs I have and since each out is worth 2% equity per street (I can only count 1 street if I'm not all-in), I multiply that to get my hand equity %. If the pot equity % is higher, I need to muck. If my hand equity % is higher, I should call. Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24) P.S. Please let me know when you have attended the training session (or if the timing of it doesn't work for your time zone).
        Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I have attended the training session

Comment

Hi justinlee123!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found in the Live Training section.

Once you have passed this quiz and attended the live training, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it and notifying us. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)
            Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hi John,

I passed the Poker Basics quiz and also attended the 'Bet Sizing' live training session.

Looking forward to playing some cash games!

Justin

Comment

Hi justinlee123!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze them for you.

Please let me know when you receive the buy-in.

John
                Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hi John,

I have received the $2. Thanks so much!

I will play on the 1/2 cent full ring table. Do there have to be 9 players or are 9 seats good enough (having empty seats)?

I was wondering, what else do I have to do to obtain the $8?

Thanks again!
                  Justin

Comment

Hi Justin!

Please try to find one with 9 players if at all possible. Having more players means you don't have to pay the blinds quite as often, so you can be more patient at the tables and not play marginal hands. It will help you.

John (JWK24)
                    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hi John, Should I have called or folded with Ace four suited after some guy raised 7x the big blind? Thanks, Justin

Comment

Originally posted by justinlee123 View Post
                        Hi John, Should I have called or folded with Ace four suited after some guy raised 7x the big blind? Thanks, Justin
                        Hi Justin I think folding as you did was best. A4s is a speculative hand. With hands like this we want to flop a flush or straight draw. Flopping top pair often results in having the second best hand becuase of our low kicker. With speculative hands, the key is to see the flop cheaply, and preferably against many opponents. Normally we miss the flop and have to fold. But when we hit, we have a chance of winning a large pot. Limping behind as you did was perfect. You were in decent position, many opponents and seeing the flop cheaply. When the btn raised to 15 cents, the other opponents folded, you will be out of postion post flop and it is no longer cheap. You will not win often enough to make calling profitable. Aslo, note that stack sizes are important when playing speculative hands. We want to have a deep stack and be playing against deep stacks. This improves our implied odds. Against a shortish stack, the maximum we can win is much less than when deep stacks are involved. In this spot neither you nor the villain are deep.Deep would be having more than 100bb stacks. Good Fold!umbup: GL and have fun at the tables! Roland GTX

Comment

Thanks Roland!

I couldn't have made an awesome play like that without the help of all you guys training me!

What's the next step?

Comment

Hi guys,

I tried the 'Cash Game' quiz and received this message that is contradicting to me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it. Could you please help clarify the meaning? It says I need 70% or more to pass. I received 72% but they said I failed. Here's the message:

Thank you for attempting the NL-Cash.

You have answered 72% of the questions correctly. 70% are necessary to pass the quiz. You can try again in 24 hours.

Good luck!

Comment

I just lost 80 cents

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.