PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I give up, you win PS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I give up, you win PS

Yeah, I'm done.

https://www.boomplayer.com/25058285_F3FA3E8406

https://www.boomplayer.com/25061947_87861B3C86
    15 Time Bracelet Winner

2nd hand's a standard cooler and played correctly.

the first one however, is a misplay on our part as the initial raise is too small and prices in the 3rd opp. We need to raise to a minimum of 1k and since this comes close to pot-committing us... I don't even mind shoving. What we cannot do is to raise too small.

John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Online Poker League
    Can you win the leaderboard?

Comment

How's it going.

With all due respect, I'm seriously not in the mood for you nitpicking, and you telling me it's my fault. It's my fault?!

You really trying to tell me if I bet 200 more Player 9 (who opens 5x) AKo folds instead of shove? Player 2 calls the 5x open with 54o then calls the shove, and it's my fault? I went for a 3-bet 3.2 x instead of 4 (as you suggest). Since when is 4x the standard 3-bet sizing and 3.2 x is now considered small?

I should consider just 3-bet shoving 82BBs?

I'm not taking any of this. I disagree with your assessment.

Good luck with your games JWK.
      15 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

standard is 3x, plus another one for the caller. 3.2 would not be small... IF.. there wasn't a caller too.

Once someone raises, we need to look at it based on their bet amount.. not in the number of bb's that it is. Re-raising them is 25% of our stack, so that doesn't quite pot-commit us.. but it's close and due to there being multiple opps in the pot already, we need to err on the big side and not the smaller side, which is why I say shoving can be ok too.

John (JWK24)
        Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Online Poker League
        Can you win the leaderboard?

Comment

It's all fairy standard as far as I can see. !st one you got the bulk of the chips - so why complain. The guy won't last long playing those type of hands - but he was getting a great price. 2nd hand you get sucked out on - it happens.
          What volume of hands are you playing? Yesterday I 5x SB to BB with QQ. The guy the pot. Called it Flop QQ2. I checked. the guy shoved. Happily got all my chips in against his AA - this was late stage £3.30 bounty KO.
          Can you guess what happened? Turn - A . River - A. I was annoyed at the run out but with the volume of hands I play daily I could list you a 100 similar hands.
          You got it in good both times - long term you will win more than lose.
          4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Sometimes the cards just don't fall your way, no matter what hand you have pre-flop. Once all the chips go in, anything can happen. Learning to handle these beats in stride is just another part of poker (and probably one of the toughest things players have to deal with).

I find I'm not so bothered anymore by the bad beats, as long as I feel that I've played correctly. After all, that's really the only thing in our control. Everything else is just luck.

HTH
            Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by joy7108 View Post
              Sometimes the cards just don't fall your way, no matter what hand you have pre-flop. Once all the chips go in, anything can happen. Learning to handle these beats in stride is just another part of poker (and probably one of the toughest things players have to deal with).

I find I'm not so bothered anymore by the bad beats, as long as I feel that I've played correctly. After all, that's really the only thing in our control. Everything else is just luck.

HTH
              Well said, I Agree JOY
              All Thee Best
              3 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I know.

It was just one of those stretches where it seemed like it would never end. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Thanks everyone. Good luck in your games.
                15 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

As previously noted, it wasn't ALL bad - you did actually gain chips on the first hand, and I didn't dislike the way you played it, apart from being slightly short on the sizing for your re-raise, as John said - the guideline is similar to how you size an opening raise - 3x the (raised) bet, plus one more for each caller.

A different approach would be to bet just the tiniest bit smaller; 798 or a fraction less. As played, a re-shove by player 2 wouldn't have been quite be enough to re-open the action to you (presenting player 9 with the added hazard that you might 5-bet shove OTT if player 2 moves in). It's definitely "cute" and undoubtedly a risky play based on unknown decisions by other players, but when it works, it's a pearl. The way it played out, I think player 2 was staying in, no matter what happened. 54o. Sheesh, sometimes you just can't beat dumb luck, but if you keep making the right decisions, the long term balance will always fall in your favour.

In the second hand, being forced to play out of position for the remainder of the hand against a similarly big stacked opponent, and BB already partially "invested" in the pot (more temptation to call), I would have erred slightly on the high, rather than the low side for your re-raise sizing, but it turns out he wasn't going anywhere. Heads-up, of course you make the call, unbolt the steering wheel, throw it out the window, cover your eyes and pray. Glad to see you at least survived the wreck, and got to play a few more hands. It could have been much worse if player 5 (overstacked you) had those cowboys.

Good luck, and never stop learning (that means you're either old, or dead).
                  4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                  X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.