PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bowie memories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowie memories

I woke this morning to the terrible news of the parting of David Bowie and all I feel is sadness. And being a relatively recent fan, having only properly found his music a few years ago, I know my sadness pales in comparison to those who grew up with him. So I thought I'd start a thread for everyone to share their favourite memories of him, to celebrate him and banish the sadness, if only a little.

I'll start. As I said I only recently became a fan, despite having knowledge of a couple of his songs from my mother growing up, and though still a very insignificant memory in the grand scheme of what will end up on this thread, for me it is important. It was February 2013 and I was watching The Perks Of Being A Wallflower for the first time. Now I fell in love with the entire soundtrack, but the highlight has to be when Heroes comes on. Even now, 3 years on, whenever I watch it that moment always gives me pins and needles. A perfect marriage of music and movie in my opinion.
    2 Time Bracelet Winner

It's really really sad news, Bowie was a living legend in my eyes RIP

Raiser
    Online Poker League
    Can you win the leaderboard?

Comment

One of my earliest memories (about 40 years ago!) is of my mum constantly playing the "Hunky Dory" album when I was a toddler. I used to get scared by the spooky chord changes in "Life on Mars", but now it's one of my favourites. My all-time fave is "Heroes" though. I love the Berlin-era Bowie, and have most of the old RCA albums on vinyl.
      Today feels a bit surreal, almost like there's been a death in the family.
      Bracelet Winner

Comment

deeply sad day for music...was lucky enough to see bowie in ottawa at an outdoor show summer 1987..glass spider tour..great stuff..peter frampton playin lead guitar...but bowie wowed us...rip
        11 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Although I'm 19 years old I was deeply shocked this morning. We've lost one of the greats. I keep reading that he was writing songs just a couple of days a go, heck the new album came out a few days ago.

He's now up there singing with Lennon and Freddie.

"This is our last dance
          This is ourselves
          Under pressure"

Comment

The only large concert that I ever went to was a David Bowie concert in the late 80s. My little sister has been a huge fan of his all her life, and on one of her birthdays my parents gave her tickets to see him in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. My two sisters, myself (I was 16 or 17ish, not sure), and my older sisters boyfriend went to the concert, and our parents stayed home. The concert was great and we all had a wonderful time. It's always been a memory that makes me smile.

Comment

One of the first albums that I ever bought the day it came out was "Scary Monster". Was just 16 at the time and had really started to get into his music and like Arty I was a big fan of the "Berlin Trilogy"..."Low","Heroes" and "Lodger". What he,Brian Eno and Robert Fripp were doing on those albums didn't lead to many "hits",but man it was hugely influential on a lot of bands who would follow.

Saw him a few times live,including the "Serious Moonlight" tour in support of the "Let's Dance" album. Remember that show as being like 5-1 girls to guys ratio and like a dumbass I'm there with my girlfriend at the time.

Then later seeing him with Tin Machine their first tour and after that the "Sound and Vision" tour were two that also stick out.

Two really painful music losses for me the last few months with Bowie's passing and earlier Yes founding member and bass player supreme Chris Squire. Lots of great memories though.

Comment

yep RIP chris squire too,
                saw Bowie 2 times, once with Macy gray, once with NIN awesome show at Shoreline..... the man was a hero to many
                Yes 3x some of best concerts ever the Yes shows

indeed [@Moxie Pip], sad days

Comment

Working...
                X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.