PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I need an Intervention

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I need an Intervention

It started back on my birthday November 23rd, It was a big milestone for me the BIG 60... The surprise is I made it this far, I always figured my chances were slim to none to last so long so never really was to concerned about eating right or taking care of my body.
    Always said we only live once may as well enjoy it right, well I did come close a few times to killing myself, couple of OD's when I was young, some car accidents should have never walked away from...well you get my drift, anyway flash forward to last January I have to have surgery to install a Pacemaker in my chest, apparently the battery should last me 12-15 years before it needs changed.

Soooo I made vow to myself that my goal from here on is to outlive the battery. So have been trying with some sucess to eat better and eliminate all the prepared foods from my diet. The crap and chemicals they get away with putting in our food is disgusting so most people just turn a blind eye and try not to think about it.

So anyway am not here to preach, just wanted to fill you in on what got me started on my new addiction.

So I started with all the frozen crap in my freezer, stuff like chicken fingers, breaded fish filets, meat pies and stuff like that. All of it easy and convenient especially for a single guy like me but chock full of preservatives and sodium. Then I moved on to my biggest addiction BREAD.. I knew I couldn't stop eating it so decided that from now on if I don't bake it, I don't eat it.

First chore, find some good videos on youtube and learn how to bake,
    Thankfully I found a channel that teaches all about no knead baking and was away to the races.

Once I got my confidence I stated trying some other recipes and learned how to make a fave snack of mine,

Cinnamon Raisin Bread

Then I got a huge craving for something ya can't get out here in the stix

Took me a few tries to get it right, pizza dough is sticky and hard to work with but the end result...omg soooo good

And lastly have been working on a couple of deserts so that that I can have a nice treat to serve company.

How about from scratch Apple Turnovers

Or Cinnamon Rolls from scratch

So thats it, just thought I would share my new hobbie with you and see if there are any bakers or cooks out there to chat with when we are not losing bread playing poker
    Last edited by Ron112355; Sat Dec 12, 2015, 08:39 PM. Reason: spell chk
    "A weak player may be a nit but a nit is not necessarily a weak player"

I'm not a foodie at all, but I think you've got a great hobby there. Good luck with your health and happiness!
    Bracelet Winner

Comment

omg, drool!!

Think JWK said he used to bake bread? Also there's a thread on 2+2 about homemade bread-making - here's a pic of some no knead bread someone posted:

Originally posted by SomethingClever
      This was a different loaf, but it pretty much turns out like this every time on the inside if you let it rise long enough.

Was really into bread making for a while there, but then got a bit lazy and have been buying dough to make my fresh pizza

The smell of fresh bread is so amazing, yum! Go Ron!!

Comment

Sam's right. I do have a bread maker and am one that cooks every day.

Brian (TOO2COO) knows his way around a kitchen too (he used to cook on a cruise ship).
        Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Online Poker League
        Can you win the leaderboard?

Comment

Okay Ron I would like to order 4 pizzas and 2 loafs they look so yummy

Please deliver to England

A relation of mine once had a quadruple heart by pass op and since then he makes his own bread.......he uses a bread making machine

He told me the expensive ones are the best are about £100 ($150 ish) talkin a few years ago now

I must admit I was a bit skeptical but once he got the formula correct mmm so yummy far better than bread I eat here

He makes that cinamon one too

Happy eating

Comment

Hey guys,
            Thanks for the replies,
            My main issue so far is finding a recipe that I can use for my toast in the morning, the high moisture content means the inside temp has to reach past boiling before it will even brown a bit so a toaster is out now, have been using the broiler in my stove but still takes long and more dries it out than toasts.

But am having fun with it,and today am going to try my hand at making Cornish Pasties

Comment

We used to have a toasted sandwich maker....well still do but someho wlost the power cord doh..........cheese and ham was my fav but the cheese so so hot coudl burn your mouth very easily

Recently went to Cornwall and devon(next county) and had to have a proper Cornish pasty now dont get me wrong wa svery very nice but the ones up North were nearly as good

Comment

Originally posted by rolo834 View Post
                We used to have a toasted sandwich maker....well still do but someho wlost the power cord doh..........cheese and ham was my fav but the cheese so so hot coudl burn your mouth very easily
                Ima gonna start making a sommma nice paninni sandwiches... hey ohh

Comment

Hahaha, just had my biggest fail so far, tried a technique for Ciabatta Bread from food wishes dot com, said to use cornmeal to stop it from sticking instead of parchment paper. I gonna need a frikin blow torch to get it off my baking sheet.
                  Last edited by Ron112355; Mon Dec 14, 2015, 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I use a spray starch, Bak-Klene... comes in an aerosol bottle.

John (JWK24)
                    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Online Poker League
                    Can you win the leaderboard?

Comment

if you need any tips on cooking bacon ask Randy nananoko :p actually im bad cook too

PS my pizzas not arrived yet

Comment

Last edited by Ron112355; Sat Dec 19, 2015, 10:04 AM. Reason: testing

Comment

Originally posted by rolo834 View Post
                          if you need any tips on cooking bacon ask Randy nananoko :p actually im bad cook too

PS my pizzas not arrived yet
                          I wasn't sure what you were talking about so I googled "Nananoko cooks bacon"

Comment

man those Cinnamon Rolls look realy yummy

Comment

Quick scroll through this post and now I'm starving.

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.