PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone watched Rounders? - Should I bother?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone watched Rounders? - Should I bother?

Has anyone on here ever watched the movie Rounders?

I hear it mentioned a lot by poker peeps but I haven't taken the time to watch it yet.

Should I bother?

Raiser
    Live long and prosper
    Online Poker League
    Can you win the leaderboard?

yes. good movie
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Online Poker League

Comment

Fine movie with great acting.

Comment

With John Malkovich as the villain with a Russian accent. Don't ask him not to splash the pot with chips, it's his game.

Comment

Ya, it's the best poker movie out there and I liked the cameo by Johnny Chan, even though that scene is ridiculous. Interestingly, Johnny only agreed to do it because his daughters wanted to meet Matt Damon. Spoiler alert: In one scene, Matt Damon tells this story of how he bluffed Johnny Chan in one hand and the listener is just amazed. And somehow bluffing a poker pro in one single hand confirms that he's 'got what it takes'. I think beating a field of professionals in a poker tournament might prove that, but one single hand ... come on. Although it's better than Daniel Craig's poker scene in that Bond movie. He hits a straight flush and we're supposed to be impressed that he played it so well. Ya, calling with an unbeatable hand is pretty high level poker. It's not likely a moron could do that or anything.

Comment

Edward Norton also said on a talk show that he would be willing to make a sequel to the movie, but it's hard to tell if he was bluffing or not. Don't have a read on him ... lol.

Comment

Originally posted by namowrednow View Post
              Edward Norton also said on a talk show that he would be willing to make a sequel to the movie, but it's hard to tell if he was bluffing or not. Don't have a read on him ... lol.
              lol

Raiser
              Online Poker League

Comment

Just on the very slight chance you're not just trolling us, Paul... Yes, it's definitely worth putting aside some "me" time to watch Rounders. It's hard to imagine any reason why you wouldn't enjoy it, and you'll get all the "inside jokes" so many other poker players make, which you've never quite understood, before now.

What planet did you say you came from, again?
                4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NE2win View Post
                  What planet did you say you came from, again?
                  Poker wasn't as popular back home on Vulcan

Raiser
                  Live long and prosper
                  Online Poker League

Comment

What??? Poker is a game of logic. Spock and his fellow Vulcans would be all over that. Also, it would be impossible to put him on tilt. And I don't think the math would be a problem either.

Originally posted by royalraise85 View Post

Raiser
                    Live long and prosper

Comment

What??? Poker is a game of logic. Spock and his fellow Vulcans would be all over that. Also, it would be impossible to put him on tilt. And I don't think the math would be a problem either.

RIP Leonard Nimoy.

Originally posted by royalraise85 View Post

Raiser
                      Live long and prosper

Comment

Unfortunately, our pointy-eared friend found the idea of even sitting down to play a game like Poker "Highly illogical". Speaking of logic, here's a good You-tube for you to look up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg8_cKxJZJY Data is playing poker with some worthy opponents (with help from the Holodeck) in this cut scene from TNG episode "Descent, Part 1". You may be surprised to see who else is playing. Nice piece of trivia - this is the only time a real person has ever appeared as themselves in a Star Trek episode.
                        Here's another game between regular crew members: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ-HD-dWYXk (OMG, Ryker's chronic string bets!)
                        This TNG re-cut is also a lot of fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2rBY5npfEs

Hope you enjoy
                        4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Great film... great poker film. Not much of a great poker in it though... XD

Any remotely ok post 2007 poker player will have a chuckle at some of the poker shown in the film...;p

Comment

Originally posted by namowrednow View Post
                            You're right, I was bluffing you

Raiser
                            Live long and prosper
                            Online Poker League

Comment

Originally posted by NE2win View Post
                              Data is playing poker with some worthy opponents (with help from the Holodeck) in this cut scene from TNG episode "Descent, Part 1". You may be surprised to see who else is playing. Nice piece of trivia
                              Hey NE2win,

I thought bots weren't allowed to play poker To whom in the Starship Federation can I report this heinous crime to?

Nice piece of trivia though, thanks for sharing.

Raiser
                              Online Poker League

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.