PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Typhoon To The Philippines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrustySam View Post
    Wow, scary!! Very glad to hear everyone's staying safe!!

PS What's the difference between a typhoon, monsoon, and hurricane? They all have rain and high winds ... are they just created by different weather patterns? Do these happen every year in the Philippines? You ever had hurricane problems down in the Caribbean KA?

Typhoons and hurricanes are the same thing,just Pacific and Atlantic Ocean respectively is all.

Monsoons are more a rainy season than a specific storm. The most well known monsoon seasons are in India and SE Asia.

Plus,as I'm sure Roslyn and the guys could tell you,the Philippines is a very active part of the Pacific's "Ring of Fire"---the world's hotbed for earthquakes and volcanic activity. Mount Pinatubo's 1991 eruption was one of the world's largest in the last century. Takes some hardy souls to live in the Philippines.

Comment

Originally posted by Moxie Pip View Post
      Typhoons and hurricanes are the same thing,just Pacific and Atlantic Ocean respectively is all.

Monsoons are more a rainy season than a specific storm. The most well known monsoon seasons are in India and SE Asia.

Plus,as I'm sure Roslyn and the guys could tell you,the Philippines is a very active part of the Pacific's "Ring of Fire"---the world's hotbed for earthquakes and volcanic activity. Mount Pinatubo's 1991 eruption was one of the world's largest in the last century. Takes some hardy souls to live in the Philippines.
      Mount Pinatubo's 1991 eruption gave our house and city quite thick crust of ash. Live very close. Was so young thought it was super cool

Comment

TACLOBAN, Philippines (AP) — The death toll from one of the strongest storms on record that ravaged the central Philippine city of Tacloban could reach 10,000 people, officials said Sunday after the extent of massive devastation became apparent and horrified survivors spoke of storm surges as high as trees and winds sounding like the roar of a jumbo jet.

Regional police chief Elmer Soria said he was briefed by Leyte provincial Gov. Dominic Petilla late Saturday and told there were about 10,000 deaths in the province, mostly by drowning and from collapsed buildings. The governor's figure was based on reports from village officials in areas where Typhoon Haiyan slammed Friday.

If you have ever prayed, now is good time.

Comment

Omg this is unreal

Comment

I thought of the several PSO players that5 post from these Islands and hope they are safe and well.

Shocking scenes.

Comment

There is someone missing, Pokerstars671 has not been on recently and he was on daily til this storm, he lives in Aklan, which was very hard hit by this typhoon.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/3538...ed-in-typhoon/

If anyone has news maybe pass it on. Really hoping everything is ok , but this report is not good.
              Last edited by CHILLI 2 U; Sun Nov 10, 2013, 04:38 PM.
              2012 Double Bracelet Winner

Bracelet Winner

Comment

Even if all is ok, It may not be his first priority to check poker forums.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers to the Filipinos. There are a lot of expats who are anxious for news of their loved ones.

Comment

Originally posted by CHILLI 2 U View Post
                    There is someone missing, Pokerstars671 has not been on recently and he was on daily til this storm, he lives in Aklan, which was very hard hit by this typhoon.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/3538...ed-in-typhoon/

If anyone has news maybe pass it on. Really hoping everything is ok , but this report is not good.
                    Communications there are down so lets pray for best!

Comment

Yes I see the mess and I have him on my Skype, which he used daily, just silence now, there is no communication at all, left a message and hoping eventually he will get it, the last he had on was a sad face icon with the words super typoon coming.
                      2012 Double Bracelet Winner

Bracelet Winner

Comment

Sounds bad

Comment

Originally posted by CHILLI 2 U View Post
                          Yes I see the mess and I have him on my Skype, which he used daily, just silence now, there is no communication at all, left a message and hoping eventually he will get it, the last he had on was a sad face icon with the words super typoon coming.
                          Yes all communications could be down due to the typhoon lets hope all is well with him and his family.

Comment

Is there anything we collectively can do as a community to help? I'd certainly donate some of my funds for the relief effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Ovalman View Post
                              Is there anything we collectively can do as a community to help? I'd certainly donate some of my funds for the relief effort.

That's so generous of you..Let's all hope and pray for the best.

Comment

Pokerstars can do a tournament, half the buyins go to Relief Organization, have seen them done but not sure if was here or FTP
                                "A weak player may be a nit but a nit is not necessarily a weak player"

Comment

Working...
                                X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.