PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some music suggestions for a cd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some music suggestions for a cd

Building a cd based mostly around Drive-By Truckers,need some filler any Suggestions?

Looking for obscure 70s Southern Rock,I know pretty specific..lol

Jerry Jeff Walker,Highwaymen,Allman Brothers,JJ Cale type of vibe.

I know some of you old timers listen to this stuff,so lets hear it.

A few I like

Midnight Rider - The Allman Brothers Band

Can't You See - Marshall Tucker Band

A Horse with No Name - America
    Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Drive-By Truckers?
      Are you kidding?

Comment

Originally posted by TOO2COO View Post
        A few I like

Midnight Rider - The Allman Brothers Band

Can't You See - Marshall Tucker Band

A Horse with No Name - America
        I got those already.

Nice picks though.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          Drive-By Truckers?
          Are you kidding?
          Yeah I actually like their music,its not the old stuff but I enjoy it.

Never listened to your suggestion,will check this out for sure.

Comment

Drive-By Truckers indeed
            Man that song is the 70s legend.. the legend also being that Lowell got booted by Frank Z. because of it, with various interpretations, see the Wikipedia article.

"Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
            Driven the back roads so I won't get weighed ..."
            Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Sun Mar 11, 2012, 12:05 AM.

Comment

as i was born in 74 but love alot of the music from that time it hard to go wrong with any thing from Jackson Browne

Very good luck with your CD
              Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I will listen to the rest of their stuff today on grooveshark.
                At first I was thinking "What the hell,little foot"! Was thinking of the tip toe through the forest guy..lol

Comment

77 here.

I like Jackson Browne as well.

Comment

I Was Born In the Back Seat of a Greyhound Bus, Rolling Down Highway 41

Comment

LITTLE FEAT: ANY album but especially the extended version of Waiting for Columbus (one of the great live albums ever,if you can get the extended CD the bonus tracks are almost even better than the original material).

LOL,by the way,I was AT the Lisner Auditorium shows listed on the record. Lisner is George Washington University,Washington DC and in 1977 Feat had a huge following in the Mid-Atlantic. One of my favorite bands of all-time.

ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND: Studio albums you can't go wrong with the first record,Idlewild South,Eat a Peach (live and studio mix) and Brothers and Sisters. The must have Allman Brothers disc though is Live at the Fillmore East---again one of the greatest live albums ever. (The extended CD of this is easier to find and is just straight up unbelievable. Just having the seamless transition from Whipping Post to Mountain Jam is worth the price alone. Originally Whipping Post was on Live at the Fillmore and the live cut of Mountain Jam was stuck on Eat a Peach.)

LYNYRD SKYNYRD: Not obscure in the least,but come on,this many posts in and NO ONE has said Skynyrd yet?

Shameful.

Anything from them,just so long as it's BEFORE the plane crash (1977) and you can't go wrong.

Some I'll be less detailed on (hit and miss with these artists---they had their moments,but some real dreck as well.I'll list some highlights...).

The Outlaws---Green Grass and High Tides,Ghostriders in the Sky

Blackfoot---Train,Train and Highway Song

Atlanta Rhythm Section---Imaginary Lovers

Molly Hatchet---Flirtin' with Disaster

STEVIE RAY VAUGHN: It's more blues but the southern rock and the boogie-woogie shuffle is all in there to. Man I miss this cat. Gets clean,starts playing at a whole new level,dies in a helicopter crash. Sad.

Texas Flood,Couldn't Stand the Weather and Live Alive are the best.

BONNIE RAITT: Gotta have the ladies repped by Bonnie. She's just so legit that she was always bigger with musicians than with the public at large. I usually don't prop compilation albums but Collection is a must have.

More contemporary but great bands...

Government Mule: The Mule is da chit. You literally cannot go wrong with anything with the Mule label on it.

Derek Trucks Band/Susan Tedeschi/Tedeschi Trucks Band: Husband and wife team that formed their two great bands into one and have just kept that southern rock-blues vibe going with touches of an even deeper musical vocabulary mixed in.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                        Drive-By Truckers indeed Man that song is the 70s legend.. the legend also being that Lowell got booted by Frank Z. because of it, with various interpretations, see the Wikipedia article. "Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made Driven the back roads so I won't get weighed ..."
                        "If you give me weed,whites and wine And you show me a sign... Then I'll be Willin,to be moving" Love it. Here's one of my favorite Lowell George lyrics,from Rock and Roll Doctor... "It's just a country town,but patients come From Mobile to Moline from miles around Nagodoches to New Orleans In beat-up old cars and in limousines To meet the doctor of soul He's got his very own thing Two degrees in be-bop,a Ph.D. in swing He's the master of rhythm He's the rock 'n roll king" Kills me every time. umbup:

Comment

Waiting for Columbus (one of the great live albums ever)
                          Hear hear

Lynyrd Skynyrd
                          I didn't mention them, but only because Cookies mentioned truckers, so Willin'...

Allman Brothers, I just quoted, they're top of my repertoire anyway...

... and on the rest I can only agree.
                          Southern music does it for me.

"I've seen the bright light of Memphis... and the Commodore Hotel..."

Comment

And if you wanna win real nice, just ask the Poker Roll doctor's advice.

Comment

Working...
                            X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.