PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie to Poker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to Poker

Hi guys,

My name is TerboMivec and im from Dublin/Ireland

26 years old and working full time, so playing is down to what my shifts are.

I just joined the PSO as i want to learn how to play some great poker. Ive been playing poker with friends for a year or so but nothing too competitive. I played 3 or 4 live games but didnt do very well.

I want to improve my playing as i seem to be losing concentration if i get big beats, Ive played a little bit on Paddypowerpoker but nothing to write home about.

I want to complete all the lessons before I start playing, well that's what i think is the best thing to do, Any tips would be great.

Also what do you think should be my first deposit amount and what to play in?? Bankroll management help would be great too.

Hope to get to know loads of you guys soon

Regards

TM

welcome to the forum mate, enjoy your time here , theres some great players with some quality advice.

Watch the videos on here theres some great learning, stick too it,stick to what they tell you, and you will do ok mate gl any questions just find the section and ask

Comment

Hello TerboMivec,

A very warm welcome to PokerSchoolonline.

We have some great people here who are always very willing to offer help and advice. For a start you may like to go to.

WELCOME TO NEW MEMBERS

Where you will find links to loads of interesting material.

Welcome again, enjoy your stay and good luck on the tables, if you ever need any help just post or you can pm me and i will help in any way i can.

Regards

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by TerboMivec View Post
        Hi guys, My name is TerboMivec and im from Dublin/Ireland 26 years old and working full time, so playing is down to what my shifts are. I just joined the PSO as i want to learn how to play some great poker. Ive been playing poker with friends for a year or so but nothing too competitive. I played 3 or 4 live games but didnt do very well. I want to improve my playing as i seem to be losing concentration if i get big beats, Ive played a little bit on Paddypowerpoker but nothing to write home about. I want to complete all the lessons before I start playing, well that's what i think is the best thing to do, Any tips would be great. Also what do you think should be my first deposit amount and what to play in?? Bankroll management help would be great too. Hope to get to know loads of you guys soon Regards TM
        Hi TerboMivec, Welcome to the forums! You want to take your game to the next level and beyond? Check out our Team PokerSchool Online Trainers in their Live Training sessions, they discuss poker theory for all levels and variants >>click here<< for their schedule. We also have a video archive of Team PokerStars pros and Team PokerSchool Online Trainers and their recorded training sessions >>click here<< you'll like this.umbup: Beats are part of the game, maintaining your composure at the poker table is one of the most important attributes to have as a poker player, in turn helping to make good decisions after taking a beat will prove to be very profitable in the long run! I'd suggest playing 2/4c limit holdem to start out or 1/2c no limit holdem. A $10 deposit should be enough to get your feet wet in those games. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you at the tables and thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com
        Last edited by CannonLee; Sat Jun 30, 2012, 06:09 PM.

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Comment

Hi TerboMivec! Here is definitely one section of the courses that you'll want to take a look at. It's the bankroll management section. Using good BRM is a key, as all players are going to have downswings and we need to be able to withstand them. Good luck at the tables.umbup: John (JWK24)
          Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

wow!

Thanks for the very warm welcome already, Didn't think id get a welcome that good. Ill be studying as much as I can over the next few days and ill put my deposit down

Thanks again

Comment

Play the Open skill League next month, it will teach you patience and picking your spots.

I will pm you some strategy lessons for this.

Comment

Welcome to the league!!! My best advice is have fun playing If you don't have fun then why bother! People here are great and will give loads of advice. See you in the open league its a great place to start.umbup:

Comment

Originally posted by CannonLee View Post
                  Hi TerboMivec, Welcome to the forums! I'd suggest playing 2/4c limit holdem to start out or 1/2c no limit holdem. A $10 deposit should be enough to get your feet wet in those games. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you at the tables and thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com
                  To be honest TerboMivec, a $10 deposit like Cannon suggests is not sufficient enough of a bankroll to play 2NL, i would not sit down at ANY cash table without at least 40 buy ins, a buy in being equal to 100 Big Blinds; Therefore at 2NL you should have 40 X $2 = $80 bankroll to start playing at 2NL Cash tables... For 5NL, the same principle, 40 buy ins of 100 BBs, $200 of a bankroll.. You will find plenty of information on this site to set u in the right direction pal.... If its Cash games you want to play i suggest checking out Felix's videos in the library, Sit and Go's i would suggest start out with the Spacegravy videos and for Mtts you have an immense choice, loads to look at Hope this helps a fellow Irishman get by, Good Luck Pal umbup:umbup:

Comment

With a 10 dollar BR you can play the 1/2 cent games and start to build!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dopplerboyf5 View Post
                      With a 10 dollar BR you can play the 1/2 cent games and start to build!!!

YEA MAN... WATEVER YOU SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am ONLY REPEATING WHATS BEING SAID BY TRAINERS ALL OVER......

Lolling at your comment, lmfao actually, $10 BR and start to build... (lol, build with 5 buy ins, gimme a break)

Is this not a poker school?

Should we not be giving SOUND STRATEGIC AND TECHNICAL ADVICE??

$10 BRoll is enough play .25cent SnGs ONLY...... USING SOUND BANKROLL MANAGEMENT

OP i would not go near CASH tables without a minimum of $80 for 1c/2c NLHE full ring tables

END OF STORY

Comment

Mate i recon 10 million should see you right. that way you can play whatever games you like with no fear of going broke!!

Comment

Lolling at your comment, lmfao actually, $10 BR and start to build... (lol, build with 5 buy ins, gimme a break)

$10 BRoll is enough play .25cent SnGs ONLY...... USING SOUND BANKROLL MANAGEMENT

OP i would not go near CASH tables without a minimum of $80 for 1c/2c NLHE full ring tables

END OF STORY

Read more: Newbie to Poker - Page 2 - PokerSchoolOnline Forum http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...#ixzz1zKVERhsC

Well I see nothing wrong with what I said!!!

I do not have a BR of 80 but Im happy with playing with what I have. You don't need a huge bank roll to have fun. I am not playing to make a living. I will not get caught up on the hipe of internet poker. Its like little league hockey only .0009% will make it.

Comment

Originally posted by dopplerboyf5 View Post

END OF STORY

Read more: Newbie to Poker - Page 2 - PokerSchoolOnline Forum http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...#ixzz1zKVERhsC

Well I see nothing wrong with what I said!!!

I do not have a BR of 80 but Im happy with playing with what I have. You don't need a huge bank roll to have fun. I am not playing to make a living. I will not get caught up on the hipe of internet poker. Its like little league hockey only .0009% will make it.
                            The OP was asking for BR management advice, and wants to learn to play "great poker". Part of great poker is sound BR management, to minimize your chances of busting.

If you are a recreational player, playing whatever level for fun is fine, as long as you are prepared to lose your money. To a serious player, this just isn't acceptable.

So you're both right, it all depends on your goals. Personally, I follow even more stringent BR guidelines. I built my BR from zero, and I'm very protective of it.

Bracelet Winner

Comment

$10 is a very minimal amount to deposit and certainly will not put a dent in their pocket book trying to learn the feel and flow on the cash tables. The Op mentioned that they will only be able to play very seldom as they have a full time job. Another $10 can always be deposited again within a few seconds of clicking the cashier if luck swings in the wrong direction. Limit Holdem $10 = 12.5 minimum buy ins of 80c No Limit Holdem $10 = 12.5 minimum buy ins of 80c Deposit an amount that you deem necessary and affordable.umbup: >>click here<< for an overview of bank roll managment guide lines and the various types of players.(eg. recreational, serious, professional) It has been suggested already but I'll put it out there again. The PokerSchool Online Open League might be a better place to start if you'd like to work on the fundamentals of poker before trying a hand at the cash game tables. >>click here<< for a complete overview of the PokerSchool Online Open League Good luck at the tables everyone.
                              Last edited by CannonLee; Sun Jul 01, 2012, 08:47 AM.

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.