PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Online Newbie with Idiot Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Newbie with Idiot Questions

First, it's nice to see how helpful everyone is.
    Second, all the newbie threads are still too knowledgable for me.

I've played poker and worked in the poker industry for decades, but this is my first time online. There are so many things I don't understand:

Right now, only non-cash games are availabe to me in the US. Is there a way to keep track of what I "win/lose" in them or does one start with a fresh buy-in every session?

What are sit-and-go games?

Since I'm not playing real money, how do the tournaments work?

What are all these initials I see (vpp & fpp or something)?

Is there some quiz I'm supposed to take? Where do I find it?

Are there actually ways for me to earn real money even though I'm not investing anything?

Please know that while I'm pretty up on poker, I'm not the most savvy internet person, so feel free to dumb down all responses.

Thanks!
    Sauly

Originally posted by SaulRothman View Post
    First, it's nice to see how helpful everyone is.
    Second, all the newbie threads are still too knowledgable for me.

I've played poker and worked in the poker industry for decades, but this is my first time online. There are so many things I don't understand:

Right now, only non-cash games are availabe to me in the US. Is there a way to keep track of what I "win/lose" in them or does one start with a fresh buy-in every session?

WHAT EVER PLAY MONEY YOU HAVE LEFT WHEN YOU ARE DONE WILL CARRY OVER TO YOUR NEXT TIME

What are sit-and-go games?

SMALL TOURNYS

Since I'm not playing real money, how do the tournaments work?

SAME JUST THE BUY IN A PAY OUT ARE IN PLAY MONEY

What are all these initials I see (vpp & fpp or something)?

THEY ONLY DEAL WITH REAL MONEY SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT THEM

Is there some quiz I'm supposed to take? Where do I find it?

THERE ARE QUIZ'S IN THE POKER SCHOOL LOBBY

Are there actually ways for me to earn real money even though I'm not investing anything?

NO AS A U.S. PLAYER YOU CAN NOT EARN ANYTHING OF VALUE

Please know that while I'm pretty up on poker, I'm not the most savvy internet person, so feel free to dumb down all responses.

Thanks!
    Sauly
    GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN
    AND I DON'T KNOW WHY THE ANSWERS CAME OUT COLORED
    Last edited by hemetdennis; Wed May 04, 2011, 03:02 AM.
    sometimes i laugh so hard tears run down my leg

Comment

Nice to see you being helpful Dennis

This is what PSO should be about.

Just a few observations:

SitnGos are not necessarily small tournaments: they are tournaments that begin when the required number of people have joined the tournament be that 9, 18, 145, 300 or whatever.

You cannot play tournaments that offer a cash prize or access to a cash prize, you can play on Homegame tournaments for play money.

VPPS and FPPs are not applicable to you as you cannot play for cash but here is an explanation:

http://www.pokerstars.com/vip/earn/

Quizzes good for your knowledge base but as Dennis says as a US player you are not able to earn money or anything of value.

Lets hope the restrictions that stop US players from playing on PS will be removed soon.

TC

Comment

THEY USED TO HAVE PLAY MONEY TOURNYS BUT I CANT FIND THEM NOW

Comment

Originally posted by hemetdennis View Post

Maybe it was 11 years ago

Comment

Somewhere in the lobby (don't have it up, so can't tell ya) there's a box to check to let play money tables be shown. I think it's under options at the top of the lobby.

Comment

Stand corrected:P

Google is your friend:

http://www.pokerstars.net/poker/tournaments/free/

However this is not available on Pokerstars.com as far as I can ascertain.

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

I knew I'd get helpful replies.

Where do I go to see how much play money I have?

Sauly

ETA: Are there any estimations on when/if real money play may become available in the US? Did it just stop last month?
                Last edited by SaulRothman; Wed May 04, 2011, 04:31 AM. Reason: Another question

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

I knew I'd get helpful replies.

Where do I go to see how much play money I have?

Sauly

ETA: Are there any estimations on when/if real money play may become available in the US? Did it just stop last month?

GO TO THE CASHIER AND IT WILL TELL YOU

GOOD LUCK

Comment

Yes it did, on a few sites at least. Nothing reliable in the way of estimates.

I think this thread's title would make for a funny t-shirt slogan.

Comment

Originally posted by PanickyPoker View Post
                      I think this thread's title would make for a funny t-shirt slogan.

Is there a way to get email notifications of responses to posts?

Sauly

Comment

Is there a way to get email notifications of responses to posts?

Sauly
                        AT THE TOP CLICK THE GO TO AND THEN SETTINGS
                        YOU SHOULD FIND IT THERE

Comment

Thanks, Dennis, for all your prompt replies. I was able to change my settings.

However, I was not able to find the Cashier. As I originally mentioned, I often need super dumb-downed directions.

Also, when I went to log on today, I couldn't get to a page that would let me do so. I ended up having to download again, but my account was intact after doing so. Is that gonna happen often? While I was able to save the download page to my favorites, I don't see a way to save the poker room to my favorites.

Lastly, I'm POed that I didn't try this while there was real-money play in the US. Am I at least able to watch others play for real money to get a feel for it? I can't believe that that real money players are playing the same way that the play-money players are playing. However, if they are, I'm a-moving to Mexico! Whoo Hoo!

Again, you've been so helpful and I really appreciate it.

Sauly

Comment

Cashier box,or tab if you prefer is highlighted in red in the bottom right of the screen in your main lobby page. It will keep a running tab on both your play money and real cash (not-applicable to us Yanks right now,hopefully someday soon it will be again ).

The easiest way to find play money tournaments is just to hit the freeroll tab on the tournaments screen. Play money tournies are highlighted in gold. Play money SNG's have their own tab of course.

Comment

First, it's nice to see how helpful everyone is. Second, all the newbie threads are still too knowledgable for me. I've played poker and worked in the poker industry for decades, but this is my first time online. There are so many things I don't understand: Right now, only non-cash games are availabe to me in the US. Is there a way to keep track of what I "win/lose" in them or does one start with a fresh buy-in every session? What are sit-and-go games? Since I'm not playing real money, how do the tournaments work? What are all these initials I see (vpp & fpp or something)? Is there some quiz I'm supposed to take? Where do I find it? Are there actually ways for me to earn real money even though I'm not investing anything? Please know that while I'm pretty up on poker, I'm not the most savvy internet person, so feel free to dumb down all responses. Thanks! Sauly
                              Along with the help Dennis provided..should you lose all your play chips..you can reload. I'm not sure of the amount..but something like 3 times an hour..sorry it's been a while.
                              GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN AND I DON'T KNOW WHY THE ANSWERS CAME OUT COLORED
                              Because you wrote inside of his colored quote.
                              Originally posted by ssuglia View Post
                              Somewhere in the lobby (don't have it up, so can't tell ya) there's a box to check to let play money tables be shown. I think it's under options at the top of the lobby.
                              You guys probably have your filter set not to show play money tourneys..make sure you have play money checked in the tourney filter at the bottom left of the main pokerstars lobby.
                              Originally posted by PanickyPoker View Post
                              Yes it did, on a few sites................. ......I think this thread's title would make for a funny t-shirt slogan.
                              umbup:umbup:
                              Is there a way to get email notifications of responses to posts? Sauly
                              AT THE TOP CLICK THE GO TO AND THEN SETTINGS YOU SHOULD FIND IT THERE
                              Dennis is correct..once in settings, scroll down just a little..to messaging & notification..under Default Thread Subscription Mode, change the drop menu tab on the right there to which email notification frequency you'd like.
                              Thanks, Dennis, for all your prompt replies. I was able to change my settings. However, I was not able to find the Cashier. As I originally mentioned, I often need super dumb-downed directions. Also, when I went to log on today, I couldn't get to a page that would let me do so. I ended up having to download again, but my account was intact after doing so. Is that gonna happen often? While I was able to save the download page to my favorites, I don't see a way to save the poker room to my favorites. Lastly, I'm POed that I didn't try this while there was real-money play in the US. Am I at least able to watch others play for real money to get a feel for it? I can't believe that that real money players are playing the same way that the play-money players are playing. However, if they are, I'm a-moving to Mexico! Whoo Hoo! Again, you've been so helpful and I really appreciate it. Sauly
                              Like Mox said, the big red box in the main ps lobby is the cashier...now when you go there..it is giving US players a prompt to cash out..just hit cancel..and there you'll see your play chips available. Not sure what you're logging into with trouble..pso or Pokerstars?

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.