PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SKILL?? I don't think so

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SKILL?? I don't think so

    My disappointment with Poker School is huge. I joined to improve my game and "hopefully" escape from the bored play money egomaniacs who push every hand with zilch. I played in 2 tournaments. In the first, after folding KK, JJ, AK because I wasn't willing to push all in I just quit the game. 10 straight pots "all in". I came back for one more go but after folding 12 hands in a row because of (guess what) "all in" I called with pocket 10s and lost to a flush. The one who shoved had J4 unsuited and made the flush. Typical of what the cowboys who play in these tournaments shove in with.

    To the Point

    Skill my a**!!! What happened to pot odds? All in with 1500 under the gun in a 60 pot should not be rewarded, I don't care if someone is holding 7 Aces. What happened to position? Why don't you create a real school with a real league. One that rewards players for actual intelligent play rather than rewarding the BINGO players. I could write the program myself. With all the resources at your disposal it should be easy. But then who'd play? Only the few serious players out of the salivating crowd of "all inners".

    In short, a real waste of my time. I'm also disappointed that D.N. would support such a farce.

    EZPikkens

  • #2
    Hi EZ,welcome to the Forum.

    Look,the Leagues are just one very small part of what goes on in the School itself. And for the purposes of improving ones game they are far from the most important or useful part.

    They can teach you patience and discipline. How to keep your eye on the big prize (that would be the monthly payouts) and if you can win through to the Premier League that looks to be a better brand of poker. But the Open League is going to be what it is---a promotional tool to hook the thousands upon thousands of freerollers out there and maybe get some customers out of them.

    But if you judge the usefulness of the school by the leagues then you are really missing the picture.

    Look around and see what's available and avail yourself of that and you will see plenty of learning tools to grow your game. The leagues are just about trying to get some free swag.

    Good luck.

    Comment


    • #3
      It is a tourney for beginners, not for professionals, you never will see a pro playing this league. At same time, is a freeroll, this means that will be a lot of donks and your strategy must be adapted to this factor. If you want play a freeroll as if you are playing tourney of the WSOP, this means that you are naive.

      If you want a bit of more level, you can advance to the Premier League, where there are less donks. If you want money, the Open League is a good place with the best system to get it.

      If you want learn poker, make a deposit and start to play with real money, you can't learn to play poker playing freerolls.

      Comment


      • #4
        ---

        Comment


        • #5
          The premier league has its fair share of donks and shove monkeys, dont forget that a lot of people get there through shoving every hand they get, so if that strategy works for them why would they change it?

          You are right OP, this league does reward bad play and punishes people who actually play poker. Its like that clip on youtube where Negreanu berates the shove monkey saying "thats not poker". You simply do not see the pro's playing the way these idiots do. PSO should be encouraging and rewarding people to attempt to emulate the pros, to play intelligent poker, but while a system is in place that rewards idiots and punishes poker players, that will never happen.

          This school is good, for those willing to learn. But this is the human race we are a part of. Most people dont care. If they cared, then these forums would be a lot busier, the training sessions would have a lot more viewers and participants. You should know by now that idiots will ruin it for the rest of us, its just the way it is.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by electrux_hcb View Post
            The premier league has its fair share of donks and shove monkeys, dont forget that a lot of people get there through shoving every hand they get, so if that strategy works for them why would they change it?

            You are right OP, this league does reward bad play and punishes people who actually play poker. Its like that clip on youtube where Negreanu berates the shove monkey saying "thats not poker". You simply do not see the pro's playing the way these idiots do. PSO should be encouraging and rewarding people to attempt to emulate the pros, to play intelligent poker, but while a system is in place that rewards idiots and punishes poker players, that will never happen.

            This school is good, for those willing to learn. But this is the human race we are a part of. Most people dont care. If they cared, then these forums would be a lot busier, the training sessions would have a lot more viewers and participants. You should know by now that idiots will ruin it for the rest of us, its just the way it is.
            I think the league can teach you some important poker lessons.

            Adapt or change tables.

            But the goal of the league is not to win or even run deep in a single tournie it is to finish in the top spots over a month.

            if you are looking for a more skillful challenge check out

            http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...oy-s-Challenge!

            good luck at the tables
            I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

            13 Time Bracelet Winner


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by electrux_hcb View Post
              You are right OP, this league does reward bad play
              Wrong. Name one and the month in which they won a major prize.

              Comment


              • #8
                I came back for one more go but after folding 12 hands in a row because of (guess what) "all in" I called with pocket 10s and lost to a flush.
                But you forget to mention blinds level and your stack.
                Originally posted by Thanat0s666 View Post
                If you want learn poker, make a deposit and start to play with real money, you can't learn to play poker playing freerolls.
                Def not this. You can't learn poker by depositing money on a poker site.
                Try burning them, it's the same.
                But you can invest time on reading and watching what is free here on the training sections.
                Or you can even invest on some pro training sites before hitting the real money games.

                Gl

                Comment


                • #9
                  LOL! Do you really think that the J4o 'shove monkeys' are being rewarded for their play? See any of them cashing in the league? Too funny guys.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Darkman61 View Post
                    Wrong. Name one and the month in which they won a major prize.
                    August Premier League

                    Alen-Gricko 1st $5000

                    September Premier League

                    Lordvangog 1st $5000

                    These guys went on unbelievable heaters. Generally donk there chips off and can normally be milked quite easily. They are considered poor players by most within the Premier League.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You may have me there. Not participating in the Premier League, I was thinking Open League.

                      This could be why I'm suffering lately. Note to self. Look at the available information. And then look again before making a decision

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Next note to self. Don't let secondary (and misleading) information (thanat's post) throw you of course

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Pentire View Post
                          August Premier League

                          Alen-Gricko 1st $5000

                          September Premier League

                          Lordvangog 1st $5000

                          These guys went on unbelievable heaters. Generally donk there chips off and can normally be milked quite easily. They are considered poor players by most within the Premier League.
                          This is your own opinion right? I don't think you should attribute such comments to 'most' Premier League players. I for one have plenty of respect for these two players, as I do for you too Pentire and any player that has made it to the Premier League. A quick check of their real money stats shows them to be profitable players, certainly a class above me - though I still wear the 'learner' plates at the tables, and possibly if you believe the stats better than you too Pentire.

                          Of course it is possible for any player to have an unbelievable run of luck, and attain a top prize. I am happy about that, as even whilst I continue to learn I may have a chance of a big prize when the luck favours me.

                          Good luck all

                          Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan
                          4 Time Bracelet Winner


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ed,

                            It is my own opinion. I base it on how I have witnessed them playing. There has been a fair amount of chat at the PL tables over the months about how they rode an unbelievable heater to their wins.

                            That said, I am wrong to attribute this opinion to "most Premier League players". It is clearly the view of a few (of who I am one).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by akisno View Post
                              But you forget to mention blinds level and your stack.

                              Def not this. You can't learn poker by depositing money on a poker site.
                              Try burning them, it's the same.
                              But you can invest time on reading and watching what is free here on the training sections.
                              Or you can even invest on some pro training sites before hitting the real money games.

                              Gl
                              You're right, I didn't say it before because it was logical, the theory is important, but also the practice, and to practice playing freerolls is not a good practice.

                              This tourney never was and never will be a serious tourney, with the new Premier League the seriousness was increased, but in the Open League, in a freeroll, always will be a lot of donks playing bingo.

                              It is a tourney for beginners, it means that is a tourney that can play players without money or with very little money, it means that a lot of these people will be donks playing bingo and it means that this tourney never will be a serious tourney. There are a lot of indestructibles syllogisms that must be eliminated to convert this league in a good site to learn poker =D

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              X Cookies Information

                              We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.