PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CannonLee and the rest of the nerds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CannonLee and the rest of the nerds

Got seated next to this guy earlier, he literally plays ZERO hands and drags the clock out EVERY hand. I think he actually folds everything except aces (and probably including aces in some spots). Using this tactic he barely makes the bubble every tournament and adds a few points to his score, although I think if he gets a dodgy big blind start or unlucky table move etc. then he gets put out shortly before sometimes. If he doubles up after the bubble with his remaining 200 chips or whatever he will continue to drag out the clock till hes forced all in with the blinds again and if he hits again he will rinse and repeat for guaranteed points.

Why the **** is this tactic even usable? And I dont know whats more pathetic, having that much points halfway through the month and not shot-taking 1st or actually using the tactic in the first place.

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK SHOULD BE DONE OH WISE ONE ????

sometimes i laugh so hard tears run down my leg

Comment

He's played 123 times to be 43rd in the league at this point and you've played 31 to be 444th,so it's rather obvious that you each have different expectations and goals here and thus different approaches.

I used to bitch and moan about how other players approached the league myself and then I got that moment of epiphany...

What the eff good does it do me to sweat how anyone else goes about their business? My only consideration needs to be what I want to achieve for myself and all other considerations aren't even secondary---they simply are IRRELEVANT.

If someone is playing within the rules then they have the right to play any damn way they see fit. Period.

Comment

Ok, so if he is having results what is the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by IonelG56 View Post
          Ok, so if he is having results what is the problem?
          Err the problem is obviously that we are meant to be competing based on our POKER skills. This is a poker league in which the best players should be rewarded, not the ones who are pathetic enough to think up ways to drag out tournaments to cheat the system. Obviously all of you nerds will defend this person because you are doing the exact same thing, but what's the point in having a poker league when the winning players win not because of their poker performance (a 5 year old could drag out the clock every hand and fold to the bubble without playing anything including aces) but because they are dragging out every hand and literally not doing ANYTHING poker related in a poker tournament. Understand?

Moxie Pip I can guarantee you right now that I have played over 20 times the amount of hands he has played even though he has played 4 times the amount of tournaments I have. Usually that would sound like a donk statement but not in this case. How can you brush something to the side, calling it 'irrelevant'? (I think I know why, you're also one of these nerd players right). Something is NOT irrelevant when it is effecting the enjoyment of the game and the competitive play of the game that you are playing for a month of your life. If you are too shallow to see why then oh dear.

Hemetdennis, as far as I know PSO cant really do much based on the structure of the tournaments (and obviously cant do anything based on the structure of timebanks and how much time players have to act on Pokerstars' client) but if they had the ability to change the bubble structure, making the points bubble lower, (like when capped at 10k the bubble is 1440 or so, it would be changed to 800? approximately). This would not completely solve the problem but would atleast force these nerds to try and double up atleast once before pulling this stunt.

Comment

lol Moxie a nerd ... aas Mpx would say.. "its on like donkey kong"

Comment

NERD???? Nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd???????

That makes me want to NERD RAGE !!!!

Seriously though, crying about people playing tight and clocking is so dumb.
              If you cannot beat people playing pure nit you got more problems to concern yourself with.
              Last edited by Da Sens Fan; Wed Jul 27, 2011, 11:18 PM.
              You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Comment

I think your issue will be sorted out to some extent next month.
                Most of the 1500 in the premier will be using a clock game and will have to adapt when they see the players are not dropping out like the open league.

Comment

Originally posted by Deleted user View Post
                  I think your issue will be sorted out to some extent next month.
                  Most of the 1500 in the premier will be using a clock game and will have to adapt when they see the players are not dropping out like the open league.

+1000

sometimes i laugh so hard tears run down my leg

Comment

Most of the top players hate clocking / folding / nit style, but they adapt to what is profitable.
                    You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Widzywidzy^^ View Post
                      Err the problem is obviously that we are meant to be competing based on our POKER skills. This is a poker league in which the best players should be rewarded, not the ones who are pathetic enough to think up ways to drag out tournaments to cheat the system. Obviously all of you nerds will defend this person because you are doing the exact same thing, but what's the point in having a poker league when the winning players win not because of their poker performance (a 5 year old could drag out the clock every hand and fold to the bubble without playing anything including aces) but because they are dragging out every hand and literally not doing ANYTHING poker related in a poker tournament. Understand? Moxie Pip I can guarantee you right now that I have played over 20 times the amount of hands he has played even though he has played 4 times the amount of tournaments I have. Usually that would sound like a donk statement but not in this case. How can you brush something to the side, calling it 'irrelevant'? (I think I know why, you're also one of these nerd players right). Something is NOT irrelevant when it is effecting the enjoyment of the game and the competitive play of the game that you are playing for a month of your life. If you are too shallow to see why then oh dear. Hemetdennis, as far as I know PSO cant really do much based on the structure of the tournaments (and obviously cant do anything based on the structure of timebanks and how much time players have to act on Pokerstars' client) but if they had the ability to change the bubble structure, making the points bubble lower, (like when capped at 10k the bubble is 1440 or so, it would be changed to 800? approximately). This would not completely solve the problem but would atleast force these nerds to try and double up atleast once before pulling this stunt.
                      you seem to be confused..this person u call a cheat is doing everything within the rules of pokerstars...if players want to time out they can...in the new league timing out is the only way to go ....if you cant learn to adapt thats your own problem gl F.M umbup:

Comment

Originally posted by Widzywidzy^^ View Post
                        Err the problem is obviously that we are meant to be competing based on our POKER skills. This is a poker league in which the best players should be rewarded, not the ones who are pathetic enough to think up ways to drag out tournaments to cheat the system. Obviously all of you nerds will defend this person because you are doing the exact same thing, but what's the point in having a poker league when the winning players win not because of their poker performance (a 5 year old could drag out the clock every hand and fold to the bubble without playing anything including aces) but because they are dragging out every hand and literally not doing ANYTHING poker related in a poker tournament. Understand?

Moxie Pip I can guarantee you right now that I have played over 20 times the amount of hands he has played even though he has played 4 times the amount of tournaments I have. Usually that would sound like a donk statement but not in this case. How can you brush something to the side, calling it 'irrelevant'? (I think I know why, you're also one of these nerd players right). Something is NOT irrelevant when it is effecting the enjoyment of the game and the competitive play of the game that you are playing for a month of your life. If you are too shallow to see why then oh dear.

Hemetdennis, as far as I know PSO cant really do much based on the structure of the tournaments (and obviously cant do anything based on the structure of timebanks and how much time players have to act on Pokerstars' client) but if they had the ability to change the bubble structure, making the points bubble lower, (like when capped at 10k the bubble is 1440 or so, it would be changed to 800? approximately). This would not completely solve the problem but would atleast force these nerds to try and double up atleast once before pulling this stunt.

A lot to respond to here where to start?

1.Well one poker skill that Cannon Lee and the rest of the "nerds" have grasped and you,apparently, have not is ADAPTABILITY. Changing one's game to fit the parameters of the most profitable line and run with it to it's fullest advantage. It took me all of 3 days back in August last year to deduce that the optimal line to take in a PSO was to play it like a satellite. That revelation netted me a second place finish and $1000. If you think myself,CoTe,Dman,Hitman,Sharkatak or anyone else who's hip to what it takes to maximize their earning potential WITHIN THE CONSTRAINTS of this league is going to apologize for it....well I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. And as to what it says about you that you're too stubborn and/or dense to adopt a strategy that even,as you say,a five year old could play if it gives you the best chance of making the most money...well I'll leave that for you to figure out on your own.

2. You've played 1/4 as many games as Cannon Lee and think you've "played" 20 times more hands of poker in your estimation. Great,how wonderful for you. How's that working out for you? And how's it working out for him and all the other "nerds"?

BTW in my opinion ANY hand that you are dealt into in a poker game that you are not sitting out IS playing. Having the patience and discipline to clock and fold hand after hand IS a skill. And if you think that developing such patience and discipline can't/won't serve you well outside of PSO then I suggest you ask some of the peeps here who have credited the League with enhancing their patience and discipline whether or not it helped them beyond the PSO format. Hell there are reams of posts on it here in the Forum if you care to look.

That's NOT to say that doing the exact style of play that one has to do in PSO will translate well at all in real money games,that's obvious. But that doesn't mean that there aren't certain aspects of it that won't translate. Like I said a lot of top players here can point to their playing in PSO and how it dovetails with their improvement in cash MTT/SNG results. I'm one of them.

3.As to what is and isn't irrelevant, well yeah, since how you or any other player goes about their business (so long as it's within the constraints of the rules) is irrelevant to me,how you or any other player feels about how I play is equally irrelevant to me. My ONLY consideration is how to best exploit it to my advantage. Period. You think that you're the first to slag the League off for it's non-poker (in you opinion) premise? LOL,far from it. Many of those in the past felt that many of the top players were incapable of playing poker as well. I believe Darkman61 summed it up best when he basically told one that if he felt the top players were Welcome Mat's to be trod on to try that theory out and see how far it goes.

As to any enjoyment that you do or don't get from playing in the League that's up to you and you alone. No one here is responsible for YOUR enjoyment,or lack thereof,of the game. Not from the highest ranked player to the worst ATC card shoving monkey ever to shrug out of their straight-jacket and load up a game. If YOU'RE to shallow to see that then oh dear.

4. As to any restructuring of the point system or anything else...well there's always going to be something for someone to complain about so nothing PSO does will ever alleviate that. And were they to do so I guarantee you that there isn't a system that they could come up with that the better players wouldn't be able to adapt to.

I haven't been able to play on Stars since 4/15 because of the donks in my government but just from looking in on a few games I know for a fact that I would be nuking this current format and structure and be firmly ensconced in the top 50-100 players. Any type of "run-good" streak and I would be trying to take it down.

And fold/stalling every tedious step of the way.
                        Last edited by Moxie Pip; Thu Jul 28, 2011, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Even before I read your post I am going to say I love Moxie Pip

Comment

Well anyone who rocks a spotted orange shirt in their avatar is bound to have impeccable taste.

Who's that skinny bloke next to you though?

Comment

Originally posted by Moxie Pip View Post
                              A lot to respond to here where to start?

1.Well one poker skill that Cannon Lee and the rest of the "nerds" have grasped and you,apparently, have not is ADAPTABILITY. Changing one's game to fit the parameters of the most profitable line and run with it to it's fullest advantage. It took me all of 3 days back in August last year to deduce that the optimal line to take in a PSO was to play it like a satellite. That revelation netted me a second place finish and $1000. If you think myself,CoTe,Dman,Hitman,Sharkatak or anyone else who's hip to what it takes to maximize their earning potential WITHIN THE CONSTRAINTS of this league is going to apologize for it....well I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. And as to what it says about you that you're too stubborn and/or dense to adopt a strategy that even,as you say,a five year old could play if it gives you the best chance of making the most money...well I'll leave that for you to figure out on your own.

2. You've played 1/4 as many games as Cannon Lee and think you've "played" 20 times more hands of poker in your estimation. Great,how wonderful for you. How's that working out for you? And how's it working out for him and all the other "nerds"?

BTW in my opinion ANY hand that you are dealt into in a poker game that you are not sitting out IS playing. Having the patience and discipline to clock and fold hand after hand IS a skill. And if you think that developing such patience and discipline can't/won't serve you well outside of PSO then I suggest you ask some of the peeps here who have credited the League with enhancing their patience and discipline whether or not it helped them beyond the PSO format. Hell there are reams of posts on it here in the Forum if you care to look.

That's NOT to say that doing the exact style of play that one has to do in PSO will translate well at all in real money games,that's obvious. But that doesn't mean that there aren't certain aspects of it that won't translate. Like I said a lot of top players here can point to their playing in PSO and how it dovetails with their improvement in cash MTT/SNG results. I'm one of them.

3.As to what is and isn't irrelevant, well yeah, since how you or any other player goes about their business (so long as it's within the constraints of the rules) is irrelevant to me,how you or any other player feels about how I play is equally irrelevant to me. My ONLY consideration is how to best exploit it to my advantage. Period. You think that you're the first to slag the League off for it's non-poker (in you opinion) premise? LOL,far from it. Many of those in the past felt that many of the top players were incapable of playing poker as well. I believe Darkman61 summed it up best when he basically told one that if he felt the top players were Welcome Mat's to be trod on to try that theory out and see how far it goes.

As to any enjoyment that you do or don't get from playing in the League that's up to you and you alone. No one here is responsible for YOUR enjoyment,or lack thereof,of the game. Not from the highest ranked player to the worst ATC card shoving monkey ever to shrug out of their straight-jacket and load up a game. If YOU'RE to shallow to see that then oh dear.

4. As to any restructuring of the point system or anything else...well there's always going to be something for someone to complain about so nothing PSO does will ever alleviate that. And were they to do so I guarantee you that there isn't a system that they could come up with that the better players wouldn't be able to adapt to.

I haven't been able to play on Stars since 4/15 because of the donks in my government but just from looking in on a few games I know for a fact that I would be nuking this current format and structure and be firmly ensconced in the top 50-100 players. Any type of "run-good" streak and I would be trying to take it down.

And fold/stalling every tedious step of the way.
                              Talk about a being SLAPPED into the REALITIES of the PSO.

WELL EFFING SAID AZZHAT

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.