PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tournament SCHEDULE Discussion and Criticism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tournament SCHEDULE Discussion and Criticism

The only small problem I have with the tournament schedule is that there are a bit too many tournaments per day in my opinion. I mean, ofcourse it is unfair to have all tournaments for American timezones because then players from say, Russia, would have a disadvantage as the tournaments wouldn't be in their timeframe and they would have to be playing at like 4am etc, but I think the current system gives extremely poker addicted players and players that have next to no social life a HUGE advantage. You're gonna get a bunch of good players who are gonna actually be very geeky and play 6 tournaments a day, then sleep for 4 hours and do the same again. Obviously the strategy for these players will be to play super tight and make sure they gain atleast a small increase in rank each tournament, meaning that if they double up once every tournament they will do insanely well. This obviously only works over a great period of time because if they play 5 or even possibly 6 tournaments per day they are playing as much as 186 tournaments a month. This removes a large portion of variance from their overall monthly playing time and they will undoubtedly do better than someone who is equally skilled and finished in roughly the same position in each tournament, but only played say, 2 tournaments per day, giving them a 62 tournament month.

Of course, this is all just random theory and everyone is entitled to use the system to their advantage as long as it is within the rules. Just pointing out a few things if anyone didnt already think about it. Im sure im not the only one who feels this way :p Im not saying I have any better ideas but I would just like to see everyones opinion on this matter, thought it would be interesting to talk about.

That said, I feel that the points system is by far the best I have ever come across for monthly prizes. It really bases the league on skill over time, removing alot of the variance. Well done guys.

Feel free to post your thoughts on this matter.

ps. in before tl;dr

I'm playing 1 tourney a day, it is what it is. The good players will rise to the top.
    Bracelet Winner

Comment

You know there are choke points when you go up the leader board
      so a good player that plays less will be higher then a mid player that plays a lot
      sometimes i laugh so hard tears run down my leg

Comment

Originally posted by hemetdennis View Post
        You know there are choke points when you go up the leader board
        so a good player that plays less will be higher then a mid player that plays a lot
        but a good player that plays a lot will be higher than a good player who plays an average amount (in general, obviously not always)

that said, I do think this does help better players score higher than worse players, but the good player with no free time, or a job etc. will be punished by the system, and the good player with nothing to do all day and someone who only sleeps like 4 hours will have a huge advantage over the other good player.

Comment

Originally posted by Widzywidzy^^ View Post
          but a good player that plays a lot will be higher than a good player who plays an average amount (in general, obviously not always)

that said, I do think this does help better players score higher than worse players, but the good player with no free time, or a job etc. will be punished by the system, and the good player with nothing to do all day and someone who only sleeps like 4 hours will have a huge advantage over the other good player.
          IT'S ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY
          WHAT TIMES WOULD YOU CUT OUT
          SOME CAN ONLY PLAY ONE A DAY NOW
          IF YOU CUT IT DOWN SOME WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PLAY AT ALL

Comment

LOL @ people who play this tourny. I think its just random bad players that are almost always doing this, but I just open shoved AK from UTG+1 for like 40 BBs and got 2 callers KQ and QJ.. The KQ call is horrible enough and the QJ is just hilarious but whatever, im just happy these players exist.

Comment

lol @ random scrub 3betting A7 into 5 limpers then busting my JJ.

Comment

I've played in quite a few leagues now over the years and volume has always made a huge difference, not to say it wins everytime. So I hear you critisizing but not really offering an alternative solution. Well as hemetdennis mentioned the choke pts are there for this reason otherwise the winner would always be the one who could play the most games. The real game is played at the ceiling in the last two days or so. But back to your original critique, eliminating games would be absolutely pointless, the only solution to get a true gage of talent would be to have say 6 games a day but everyone can only play 2 games. And those two games count to pts. And no not being able to play all 6 and take the best 2scores because that again would only benefit volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Spudder47 View Post
                  I've played in quite a few leagues now over the years and volume has always made a huge difference, not to say it wins everytime. So I hear you critisizing but not really offering an alternative solution. Well as hemetdennis mentioned the choke pts are there for this reason otherwise the winner would always be the one who could play the most games. The real game is played at the ceiling in the last two days or so. But back to your original critique, eliminating games would be absolutely pointless, the only solution to get a true gage of talent would be to have say 6 games a day but everyone can only play 2 games. And those two games count to pts. And no not being able to play all 6 and take the best 2scores because that again would only benefit volume.
                  YOU KNOW THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN
                  THATS LIKE FORD SAYING YOU CAN ONLY DRIVE A FORD 50 MI. A DAY
                  THEN YOU HAVE TO DRIVE SOMETHING ELSE

Comment

The players that play many tourneys will still have to be good to do well, because they expose themselves to more risk, especially when you take the choke points into account, like Hemet said. However it cannot be denied that if two people were of identical skill, and both good players, the one who played the most tournaments would do better.

The only solution to this would be to have a cap on tourney entries per month, like Spudder said. I think this is a great idea, and it has been mentioned many times, but it seems that the authorities do not like it for some reason. And as you mentioned in the OP, this is not a criticism of those who choose to go for max volume; why not, if that brings max value? But a true test of skill would surely involve a cap on tourneys played. Saying that, last month I managed to finish in the top 150 with less than 1 tourney per day. This month I am playing a lot more, but doing a lot worse. Go figure.

Also just as a side note to the title of your OP, I would be wary of offering criticism. It seems that criticism, even if constructive, is largely frowned upon within this community. Don’t know why, maybe just to protect the status quo of the accomplished player’s monopoly of the money. Maybe they are just scared of us new up-starts, I dunno, but you have been warned lol. Good luck on the felts
                    Last edited by Swaxwell; Tue Jul 05, 2011, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swaxwell View Post
                      The players that play many tourneys will still have to be good to do well, because they expose themselves to more risk, especially when you take the choke points into account, like Hemet said. However it cannot be denied that if two people were of identical skill, and both good players, the one who played the most tournaments would do better.

The only solution to this would be to have a cap on tourney entries per month, like Spudder said. I think this is a great idea, and it has been mentioned many times, but it seems that the authorities do not like it for some reason. And as you mentioned in the OP, this is not a criticism of those who choose to go for max volume; why not, if that brings max value. But a true test of skill would surely involve a cap on tourneys played. Saying that, last month I managed to finish in the top 150 with less than 1 tourney per day. This month I am playing a lot more, but doing a lot worse. Go figure.

Also just as a side note to the title of your OP, I would be wary of offering criticism. It seems that criticism, even if constructive, is largely frowned upon within this community. Don’t know why, maybe just to protect the status quo of the accomplished player’s monopoly of the money. Maybe they are just scared of us new up-starts, I dunno, but you have been warned lol. Good luck on the felts
                      I HAVE ALSO HEARD SOME SAY TO TAKE AN AVERAGE OF YOUR BEST 10 GAMES
                      WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT ??
                      AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH CRITICISM
                      BUT TRY NOT TO COMPLAIN JUST TO COMPLAIN

Comment

Thanks for the words Swaxwell, and I agree that capped amount of tournament entries per day would definately help towards that issue.

When you mention this choke point, are you simply talking about the fact that when you progress higher in the rankings, you gain less points and lose more for the same position you would have finished, say 200 points before? Or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Widzywidzy^^ View Post
                          Thanks for the words Swaxwell, and I agree that capped amount of tournament entries per day would definately help towards that issue.

When you mention this choke point, are you simply talking about the fact that when you progress higher in the rankings, you gain less points and lose more for the same position you would have finished, say 200 points before? Or am I missing something?
                          AS YOUR SCORE GOES HIGHER YOU GET LESS POINTS FOR THE SAME FINISH

Comment

Originally posted by hemetdennis View Post
                            I HAVE ALSO HEARD SOME SAY TO TAKE AN AVERAGE OF YOUR BEST 10 GAMES
                            WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT ??
                            AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH CRITICISM
                            BUT TRY NOT TO COMPLAIN JUST TO COMPLAIN

I think an average of one's best 10 games is a terrible idea. It would do nothing to eliminate the edge gained by playing more, and would also encourage even more wild play!

And I do try to never complain just for the sake of it, although I do admit I may go over the top from time to time. I just think that constructive criticism is vital for any organisation to perform optimally.

Comment

i'm definitely for the limited PSO played per day, once every 24 hours would be just fair for everyone umbup:

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.