PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

donk poker lessons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• donk poker lessons

with the new PSO league i am looking for the lessons and quiz on donk poker play. where would i find the link to these lessons. with the new league format I believe learning how to play this way is the only way anyone is going to have a chance of making the ratings.

two things ..
    use ur clock..(very important).. always wait for the red..
    play only the premium hands..(think folding them in earlier stages)..

Comment

Having only played a few games this month so far I would suggest some or all of the following:

1) Sit out the early hands unless you are certain you are ahead or can steal a pot.

2) Look to start playing serious poker at around the 30 min mark - usually the 10k field will be down to around 4k by this stage. If you have wasted time each hand you should still have 1200 chips left even if you have not won any hands.

3) Do not play premium hands in the earlier stages unless you can see a flop cheaply. Shoving all in with premium hands will still have you being called by rubbish and they will still have about a 1:4 chance of winning. Not worth it.

4) Do not look to make the final table unless you have a really good run of cards. Set your sights somewhere lower and more sensible - say top 1000-1400 (this seems to be a good points mark). Once you reach this position open up and start playing.

5) The best way to play donks is not to play them unless you have a premium hand, have seen the flop and know you are unbeatable. Pushing all in pre-flop early on is a recipe for disaster. Better to miss winning a few hands and let the donks bust themselves out.

6) Focus on the month long run not just each game. It will be much better to win a few points from each game than to chase the big points and end up with a massive minus. One bad result can easily destroy everything you have built up over 5 or 6 good games.

Comment

thats nice..

Comment

Rules to donk play 1) never play two cards ten and over 2) always raise something suited 3) never fold till river 4) always go all in pre with low pocket pairs 5) bet a draw hand as if it's the nuts 6) stay away from other donks / their crap might be better than yours 7) always 3 bet a hand that isn't suited and can't be used in a straight 8) if you lose to a better hand always call the other player an idiot 9) if you win let the table know that you are the greatest thing to poker since Doyle Brunson evil:
          Join My Home Game Club - The Joker's Wild

Comment

Great Joker,

You have just defined Tony G. LOL

TC

Comment

Originally posted by topthecat View Post
              Great Joker,

You have just defined Tony G. LOL

TC

lol Tony G, good one

Comment

love this

I think we 'old school' PSO's should print this out and stick it on the screen next time we attempt a PSO league game lol
                Every time I sit down I think, it must be me, this time it will be ok, play tight, premium only and you'll make the cut, then I realise I'm in cloud cookoo land
                but on the up side ... one glass of martini and hey .... it's just a game full of and I'm just frustrated cos I cant win

this in answer to the donk rules.
                I dont have a brain anymore that can do even simple stuff like reply and include comment lol
                Last edited by ruiten7; Wed Jul 06, 2011, 05:21 PM. Reason: forgot to include quote

Comment

Heres one for thought:

I was watching the big game on-line the other night (the one where Tony G calls the clock twice on Robl and has a bit of a hissy fit and then Daniel gangs up on Robl as well) - but I digress......

A few programmes after this I watched the loose cannon double up on Phil Helmuth to reach +$136k. Way out in front for the LAPT Passport as well as pocketing 130k - not bad for a nights work.

So all the loose cannon has to do is fold every hand for the remaining 40 hands and chances are the LAPT passport will be his. Suddenly though he is dealt pocket Aces - what to do - maintain discipline or go looking for even more money????

Flop comes 6K6 and Phil Laak (at the time of the show his 1st game back since his quad bike accident I think) has pocket 6's to make a nice Quad hand. So how much did the loose cannon lose......

Nothing - he folded the Aces pre-flop and went on to fold pocket Kings a few hands later despite trying a min raise to try and see the flop.

Bottom line - poker can be an unforgiving mistress - 1 minute you are up 136k, the next you could have easily lost the lot (I think I would have).

I think this is relevant to PSO - Maintain your discipline, play tight and always remember that the next guy might have just hit that magic card that will bust you out.

If anyone wants to watch the episodes in question look up "Pokerstars Big Game Season 1 Episode 64" and follow it from there. Lots of interesting and useful information available from the experts if you have the time to watch them right through. I think these shows are the best thing on the net.
                  Last edited by Andy8334; Fri Jul 08, 2011, 10:29 PM.

Comment

I'm only new to Pokerstars after coming from FT, but some of the play here is unbelievable, and this thread has made so much sense. Gonna have to stock up on a lot of patience.

Good luck all

Comment

donk poker lessons

You are 100% correct ! And discipline is key

Comment

Originally posted by wgprice View Post
                        with the new PSO league i am looking for the lessons and quiz on donk poker play. where would i find the link to these lessons. with the new league format I believe learning how to play this way is the only way anyone is going to have a chance of making the ratings.
                        Originally posted by Tottatman77 View Post
                        I'm only new to Pokerstars after coming from FT, but some of the play here is unbelievable, and this thread has made so much sense. Gonna have to stock up on a lot of patience. Good luck all
                        Originally posted by skeatster View Post
                        You are 100% correct ! And discipline is key
                        Got it all out of your systems now first timers? It isn't easy welcoming people here when they just complain in their initial posts....but... Welcome to the forum. umbup: Now, how about contributing something positive to the community? mileypoker:

Comment

Originally posted by joker41673 View Post
                          Rules to donk play 1) never play two cards ten and over 2) always raise something suited 3) never fold till river 4) always go all in pre with low pocket pairs 5) bet a draw hand as if it's the nuts 6) stay away from other donks / their crap might be better than yours 7) always 3 bet a hand that isn't suited and can't be used in a straight 8) if you lose to a better hand always call the other player an idiot 9) if you win let the table know that you are the greatest thing to poker since Doyle Brunson evil:
                          #6 is a gem

Comment

Working...
                          X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.