PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you deal with an All in Maniac in a League Game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you deal with an All in Maniac in a League Game?

I'm not talking about in the late stages of the tourney when people are short stacked, but in the early going when someone who is not a member of the school decides to come and mess with peoples game. Do you gamble and call all in or wait and hope someone else knocks them out for you? Or do you get upset and lose it and go on tilt?

I tend to lean towards the waiting it out and letting the other players gamble it up, also I wait and see if someone does go on tilt I may try to take advantage of the situation.
    Interested to see how everyone else handles it...

"A weak player may be a nit but a nit is not necessarily a weak player"

I was in this situation in the Masters recently, as were many others. The villain had shoved pre almost every hand or made a big raise. I did think he meant to raise 10x here as the blinds had just gone up with this hand. Although I knew it was a risk, a win would have positioned me for a deep run, so I couldn't fold my pocket kings. The river did tilt me, so I immediately sat out on my other table until I felt in control again. It didn't work out, but I would do the same thing again.

https://www.boomplayer.com/30022256_573308B7E2
    Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by joy7108 View Post
      I was in this situation in the Masters recently, as were many others. The villain had shoved pre almost every hand or made a big raise. I did think he meant to raise 10x here as the blinds had just gone up with this hand. Although I knew it was a risk, a win would have positioned me for a deep run, so I couldn't fold my pocket kings. The river did tilt me, so I immediately sat out on my other table until I felt in control again. It didn't work out, but I would do the same thing again.

https://www.boomplayer.com/30022256_573308B7E2
      All I can say is just wow, the original raise UTG with 22 is unreal but the J9 os and the KQ os callers must be smoking better weed than I can afford lmao

Comment

Ron112355

I'm going to tighten up and when I play a hand, I'm ready to play for stacks. JJ+ AK+ for me and if I have a few good scores in for the month, I'll widen the range to 99+ AQ+. The key to winning the league is to get final tables, top 3's and wins.. so when we get a shot to play for a maniac's stack when we're miles ahead of their range.. we need to take it.

If losing one of these has ANY effect on your play at all... then you need to work on your mental game. We cannot let any losing hand have an effect on our play. AKA NO TILT.

John (JWK24)
        Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I find that players that usually are “steaming” will go all in after losing a big pot or after getting caught on a bluff. There are players that just keep going all in which is pretty sickening but just keep calm and only call with a big hand against an all in maniac so there’s little chance of being donkied out. I usually call a person like that because he could be holding anything and if I had AA orKk or QQ or AK it’s an instacall.

Comment

bearclaws8989 yep little chance on getting donked out but still happens lol

https://www.boomplayer.com/30063063_37F8C3F005

Comment

Originally posted by JWK24 View Post
              Ron112355

If losing one of these has ANY effect on your play at all... then you need to work on your mental game. We cannot let any losing hand have an effect on our play. AKA NO TILT.

John (JWK24)
              No tilt is something to aspire to, but I don't think anyone has perfect control of tilt. I've worked on my mental game enough that I rarely tilt, and can recognize the problem as soon as it happens. However it didn't affect my play, since I sat out until I was over it.
              Bracelet Winner

Comment

Ron112355

Those are going to happen, that's why we need to be sure to use bankroll management. We want stacks in every time there, as we'll make a ton of chips longterm.. but we will lose a % of the time.

John (JWK24)
                Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

One time in the first level of a trny I lost with AA to 56s. I asked in chat why he would play such a hand and he told me he likes to play what he calls his "Ace cracker" hand since it is the best hand to have against AA. I had to look it up and it really is true- 56s has the best chance HU against AA at 22.5%.

Comment

As long as he puts his chips more than a 22.5% pot odds,it will be fine by me.
                    Sorry if my English is sucks,this is not my mother language,and i'm using it rarely in my real life.

If u want to know a little bit about me,i wrote a small introduction here: https://www.pokerstarsschool.com/for...old-new-member

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus221 View Post
                      As long as he puts his chips more than a 22.5% pot odds,it will be fine by me.
                      I'll second that!
                      Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

But it is funny sometimes when an inferior hand beats a premium hand and the loser of the hand goes off on the villian telling him something like---- he is ruining the game of poker and should be disqualified from the trny for not playing "correctly". lol

Comment

I bet it was quoted from Phil Hellmuth.
                          Sorry if my English is sucks,this is not my mother language,and i'm using it rarely in my real life.

If u want to know a little bit about me,i wrote a small introduction here: https://www.pokerstarsschool.com/for...old-new-member

Comment

Originally posted by edpokernut View Post
                            But it is funny sometimes when an inferior hand beats a premium hand and the loser of the hand goes off on the villian telling him something like---- he is ruining the game of poker and should be disqualified from the trny for not playing "correctly". lol
                            note every one of those players that go off... as a tilted fish
                            Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

I also find it helps to call for the villain's outs, that way even if you get sucked out on it feels like a win.

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.