PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WPT Boot Camp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WPT Boot Camp

Hi all,

I promised I would report on my attendance at the WPT Boot Camp held at The Mirage on April 2nd and 3rd.

We were asked to arrive Saturday morning at 8:00 for registration and breakfast. At registration we were all given a very nice WPT duffle bag filled with goodies consisting of the book "Shuffle up and Deal" and Ron's new book "Poker Aces, the Stars of Tournament Poker." This is a beautiful book with a section of photographs, autobigraphy and playing style of 178 poker professionals. In addition the obligatory cap, t-shirt, decks of cards and poker software were stuffed in the bag. Breakfast was the typical sweet roll, fruit, coffee and soda table was very nice. Our instructor Ron Rose was there mingling with the students or disciples as he began to refer to us. Ron is a very bright and engaging individual. He began his first lecture with an introduction. He began playing poker seriously in 2001 when he had conquered the bridge world and was looking for a new challenge. He flew to Paris for a big tournament at the Aviation Club because he wanted to pit himself against the best and he also wanted to have an edge up on the European players since they are now attending so many of our tournaments. He won 3 tournaments there, Limit Omaha, Pot Limit Holdem and Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo.

When he returned to the states he was well known to the Europeans but no one here ever heard of him. In 2002 he made a final table in a WPT event and then won his first bracelet in 2003. This guy is simply awesome.

In addition to Ron, there were about 6 WPT employees. Most notable was Alex "the insider" Outhred. Alex views all the tape of the final tables for WPT and looks at every hand and decides which ones to air on tv. He is also one of the instructors in addition to Ron, Mike Sexton, Vince Van Patten, Scott Fishman and Clonie Gowan.

The format for the rest of the day was lecture, lab, lunch (very nice), lecture, lab. The labs consisted of playing out pre stacked hands on two different tables and seeing how they developed. This was very similar to what we did in Tunica this year. With Scott and Alex doing the play by play, this was very well done. About every 20 minutes throughout the two days they showed a WPT film clip on a huge overhead projector to illustrate a point they were covering in the lecture. These videos were excellent.

We finished Day 1 with 5 separate one table sats. Ron Rose sat in at our table and we knocked him out on the first hand. RHIP does exist so he "re-bought" and sat at another one of the tables where he knocked out most of the players.

We went all the way till about 7:15 PM. It was a very long day. Scott Fishman sat in most of the day and observed since his first Boot Camp is coming up soon. By the way Scott is 23 years old and I'm sure many of you have seen his antics on TV and may have a negative impression. I did. I was completely wrong. He is pleasant and very excited about all things poker. I think some of his antics on TV were similar to the Pokermatts display. Young unbridled enthusiasm that just can't be held in check, not intentional bad behavior. BTW Matts, if you're reading this, that is how I explained the "DA" thing to everyone there.

Day 2 started with breakfast and then we all trooped down to The Mirage poker room for a multi table freeroll event. The winner was given an $1,100 one table satellite seat to win a WPT $10,000 entry. 2nd through 10th place received a $120 satellite seat. The rest of the day went lunch, lecture, lab, lecture. Clonie showed up late in the day and sat in. Yes Zipman, she does remember you from Tunica I reminded her of the afternoon we all had drinks together and Ron Rose piped in, "she never had a drink with me" We all have our areas of expertise Bobbie.

OK was it worth it? $1,495 (minus the $200 rebate they sent me when I found out they were selling some seats for $1,295) was the price. Frankly I felt for the entire two days like when you sit in a movie and keep thinking its going to get better. What they did was excellent but I would say it was geared more for the novice tournament player. There were many very experienced players there and they all felt the same. All the basic concepts were covered but we all kept waiting for the real pearls of wisdom that would elevate our game to a higher level. They never came.

My final reflection is that even so it was worth the money. Anytime you immerse yourself for two days discussing tournament concepts, your game has to improve. I'm glad I went but once was enough.

We finished around 5:00. Ron gave us his personal email address since we are all Ron's disciples now. Three of us then jumped in my car and drove to the Plaza for their evening tournament. There were 54 entrants. All three of us made the final table. Luck? You be the judge.

Thanks for the trip report Bill. Somehow you and lucky just don't go together though. You're too GOOD to need luck.

Comment

Working...
    X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.