PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

unmentionable freerolls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unmentionable freerolls

Recently I have been feeding my poker habit by playing freerolls at the site whose name we may not speak. They are various games in various formats and the "prize" is entry into yet another tournament (a not-quite-freeroll!). I usually make it to the top 10% but until yesterday hadn't qualified for further tournament torture.

This time the game was my least favorite (Omaha High Limit) and there were 640 entries, 9 of whom would qualify for next Sunday's "epic" (this time to be Limit Stud!).

I got quite lucky, in part to have clueless maniacs dump chips on me early so that after what seemed like hours (it actually was hours!) I was at the next-to-last table and by the time it got "bubblish" I was the chip leader.

When we hit the final table I had twice as many chips as the nearest stack but the savo(u)r was dimmed by the perfectly logical action of everybody quitting since there was no merit in finish order amonst the final nine. But I wanted to see how it felt to win a 640 person event and I played it out by raising for a few rounds and ending up with close to T1,000,000.

What I came away with was that despite being a reasonably blase person in these matters, it still felt good to win something like this, full knowing that it wasn't all that different from winning a drawing for a toaster.

To reiterate what I've boringly preached for the last year (and seem to have Noodles' agreement): winning a tournament is almost entirely a chance affair. If one is in a game wherein 400 of the entrants are fairly close to totally incompetent at poker - particularly Omaha - there is about a 2/1 chance that more than half those remaining near the end are superstitious gamblers.

Even rocks get lucky once in a while.

Congratulations Geezer. I'll be rooting for you on Sunday. Perhaps I'll even stop by to watch for a bit.

Yes, the element of luck runs much higher in tournaments than it does in ring games. But if you play enough tournaments, then at some point skill probably kicks in. I'm sure it's a lot of tournies, just as in ring games it's a lot of hands.

You know that your skill at playing poker helped you get to the final table. Particularly since the most important skill in an Omaha freeroll is probably the ability to fold early and often. And that's a skill you've mastered. Lol.

Peace, Starrs LSOGC

Comment

if you think they are bad at the unmentionable site i know of a little site where they offer 50$ for the winner of there daily freeroll limit holdem with 800 starters where in early rounds you will see 8,9 or 10 people in the pot with the betting capped preflop.

where in the later rounds (i only made it into the top 30 3 times in about 40 trys) you still seeing people reraising with 92s preflop because they are suited.
      the site only offers limit holdem i am still waiting for them to offer NLHE.

geezer if you want to give it a try (s&m is fun some people think) then let me know and i'll PM you the url.

Comment

I will qualify it by saying it is mostly luck once you have eliminated major mistakes and reached a certain level of competence. Especially if the same applies to the opposition.

Comment

Geezer, I have seen the light and agree with you.

Comment

Geezer wrote:

If one is in a game wherein 400 of the entrants are fairly close to totally incompetent at poker - particularly Omaha - there is about a 2/1 chance that more than half those remaining near the end are superstitious gamblers.

Glad to have some confirmation on this regarding Omaha events. Most of the time I get to a final table at PSO in LO8, clearly half the table have gotten there by liberally playing 579Jo, and 6699 type hands.

The same is likely true in Limit Omaha High, which I quit playing out of pure frustration.

It seems at least 1/3rd of the table are semi-maniacs in PLO.

In NLHE, however, it seems to me that final tables in big events are populated only by 1/4 or less maniacs.

In the PLO and NLHE, there are just way too many opportunities for maniacs to go broke.

Just my own, probably biased, and quite possibly incorrect, observations.

Randy/Randall

Comment

As a follow-up I have, since winning the aforementioned Limit Omaha (High) tourney, entered a LHE and a Limit Stud each of which was around 600 starters and in each I got to the top 5%. I found that people played really bad hands for raises and that such players were the majority - even at that late a stage.

Limit poker demands really long grinds and even though it was about 4 hours of play it still only amounted to a few hundred hands.

Maintaining the discipline and laughing uproariously at winning a stud hand 4 ways with a pair of sixes (I couldn't even guess what they were calling me down with after seeing the showdown - I was "representing" from the start with an Ace in the door!) but not offending the opponents with ridicule was the main reason for the exercise.

It seems like it's because it's "just play money", but I've seen so much such play for real money that I'm not really sure. After all the craps/roulette layouts don't want for participants and they have no chance whatsoever.

Comment

I wasn't around a computer yesterday, so I just looked through the list of results at that other site and I didn't see your name. How'd you do and what do you play under?

Peace, Starrs

Comment

Geezer,

Proof of what you and Noodles say are my results at Foxwoods last
                  month: if I can finish ahead of TJ Cloutier, Daniel Negreanu and John
                  Juanda in two NL events, as well as others who were no slouches, then luck must play a part.

Comment

Working...
                  X