PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lessons learned at the WSOP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons learned at the WSOP

This is also cross posted to Advanced Poker discussion and Daniels Forum.

If you get to double up in the first round HOLD ON TO THE CHIPS NO MATTER WHAT! Do NOT try to bully people this early, because you will most likely only get called when you are in trouble (i.e. QQ v. KK or AA). Once you get to $20,000 in the first round you can fold every hand for 8 hours (through level 5) and not go broke.

Just because the antes start DO NOT panic. $25T a hand and $100-$200 blinds are nothing when you have a $15,000 stack. It only "feels" like you are giving away all your chips cause you have to put one in every hand. You can wait a LONG time for good hands to maintain your stack.

There is no need to try and steal when those to your left nearly always defend their blinds.

The blinds will take care of your stack if you play smart and DO NOT panic. You are NOT in danger of getting blinded off until you have only about 3 BB left.

When raising pre-flop, use 4x the BB standard, regardless of your holding. This will keep your opponents guessing as to what you are raising with (could be AA or 9-10s).

You only need about $15,000 or even $10,000 to make it to your second day of play and not be in huge danger. If you run out of chips on day one, you don’t even get a shot at day #2.

If anyone would like to comment, or thinks I am off base on these "lessons" your input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn
    I hope to see you all at the WSOP 2005

I totally agree Glenn. I lost 1K on the first hand I played and it didn't hurt me at all in the long run. I ended the first day with 25K and was never allin.

Doyle Brunsen had 1500 left at the dinner break of his first day and he lasted into the money.

If you look at the chip totals after day one, a lot of the pros were right around their starting amount and they advanced pretty far.

otldoc

Comment

Working...
    X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.