PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake Elsinore 5/9/04

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Elsinore 5/9/04

Played in a $75+$15 tournament in Lake Elsinore today on my way to Las Vegas. I managed to finish 13th out of 63 and went out with guns blazing. A couple of interesting hands.

There were 17 players left in the tourney and I'm dealt AKs on the button. UTG+1 goes all-in for 2300 which is just a little more than half my stack. The blinds are only 200/400 with a 50 ante, so he's overbet the pot. I know that I should just toss the hand, but I had been pretty card dead and it was the first legitimate hand I'd had for a while. Anyway, I called the bet and he put down QQ. I failed to improve and I'm the short-stack. That's a hard hand to throw away, but I think I need to do it in that situation.

Anyway, I built my stack back up to 4000 chips and I'm in the big blind (blinds are not 300/600 with a 75 ante). UTG (we're now 7-way at our table) comes in for a minimum raise (1200 to go). He's been a pretty solid player and he and I have the same stack size. When it comes around to me, I look down to find JJ and I go all-in. He thinks for a long time and then calls with a pair of fives. The flop brings no help, the turn is a blank, and the river is . . . a five. Dang!

Anyway, I'm now in Vegas. I went to the Horseshoe in time to catch the end of the NLHE tournament. It's quite a scene. I'm hoping to get into a sat later this week.

Shaky

'

Shaky..
    sounds like two plays most of us make in the situation...especially the JJ vs 55.

Glad you had a chance for a little "Pre-WSOP Warm-up"

Keep you the good work.

Comment

Thank you so much for making me feel better about my play on the AK - It WAS suited, after all!!!!

Still, I might post that one elsewhere because I think it's a tough decision and one that comes up fairly often.

Thanks again.

Shaky

'

Comment

congrats

I don't blame you for playing the AK either Shaky. However, I notice myself saying "it was the best had I had seen for a while" after I bust out of a tournament often. And, you sound as if you did not go with your first instinct. However, I bet I would have done the same thing. What if he had AQ? Just a thought.

Thanks for the comment on my post.

otldoc

Comment

Working...
        X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.