PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.





SCOOP 2019

Earn Tickets to SCOOP and play for a share of $75,000,000+ GTD!


See more
See less

Foxwoods trip, pt 1 (long)

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Foxwoods trip, pt 1 (long)

    Here goes nuthin'!!

    When we got in, I told my wife I was going to rest a bit, then play
    a satellite for the $500 NL event next day. Of course, we dropped our bags and I headed for the tourney hall straight away.

    After standing about a short while, I was informed that, because
    there weren't enough dealers, they'd only be able to get a $1000 NL
    sat going.

    There was a kid who was running over the table early on; he played small pairs in the face of raises and twice hit sets to break people, and before long had 6K of 15K in play.

    Didn't have many cards at first, but stayed patient and things got better. In back-to-back hands, I got pocket aces!! What a time for that!!

    Eventually, I got heads- up with the youngster I mentioned; he had 8K to 7K for me. The hand that, more or less, decided things was the very first one we played heads- up.

    The blinds were 200-400, and he made it 1200 from the small blind. I looked down at A-K offsuit and moved in. He thought a little while and called with 4-4, a king flopped, and another hit on the turn.
    What happened next surprised me- he didn't even try to play in the
    few hands that remained!

    Next morning, it was time for the $500 NL event. Just before the start, a woman with whom I'd played the satellite the night before
    asked whether I wanted to trade 5% of each others' action. I'd seen enough of her play in the sat to think this a reasonable deal, but didn't really understand why she'd take a chance on me. How wrong my thoughts were! :lol:

    At the first table, the only player I recognised was the redoubtable TJ Cloutier, from whose writings I've learnt a great deal indeed. Not much action went down here- maybe the others were kept in line a little!!

    Near the end of the first level, our table was broken up and I was transferred to another table with 'easy pickings'; David Pham and John Juanda! Never played a pot with Juanda, but got into an interesting one with Pham when I limped with K-Q and flopped top two. I checked to him and he led at it for 400, I moved in for about 2000 and he threw his hand away after long thought.

    This table, too, was broken up after a round or so and I'd managed to amass 6K when the average was probably half that by staying patient and letting the action come to me in most cases.

    Next up- Rob Varkonyi. He was victimised by the good ol' 'suck-out-re-suckout-re-re-suckout' play. The first crucial hand of the event for me came here.

    There was a player in mid- position who'd raised many pots- once or twice, I had good hands and was tempted to do battle, but decided to wait. As was his wont, this player open-raised from mid- position to 1200 with the blinds 150-300, and I looked down at A-A
    on the button with about 6300 and moved in. It was hardly surprising
    when he called almost instantly and showed 7-7. No help came for either of us and he was gone.

    Another stretch of solid play ensued, with the odd stab at a pot, enough to get me in the neighbourhood of 16K. Then they broke us up again which brought us to six tables, the average stack being c.7000 here(we'd started with 247).

    In the next 90 minutes, the only hand I won was when it was passed to me in the BB- all I could do was laugh! Then it got tough; I played one pot and lost half my remaining chips, leaving me with 4000 and four tables to go.

    The second critical hand came next- I picked up 8-8 in mid- position and open-raised. Jim Boyd, a tough player, called me from the next seat. You can imagine my relief when he showed A-J offsuit
    and the flop came J-8-x, and I was alive again. 8)

    After the dinner break followed a long period of picking up enough blinds and antes to stay in the hunt, and I had 16K with eleven players to go, where we stayed for a long while- most of a round, I should think.

    Critical hand number three came after much jockeying for position; playing six- handed, I found K-9 offsuit and decided to try picking up the blinds, but Howie Wolper was onto me and moved in.
    The call was 3800 more, so after we got all the money in, he turned up A-7 of spades. Uh-oh!

    As long as I live, I'll never forget the flop; Q-J-10 rainbow! Good fortune smiled again, as no king came to spell almost certain doom.

    At last, the final table! TJ Cloutier was with us again, though he had only 28K of 370K in play. He went out ninth when he put a move
    on Bill Seymour (the big stack) that backfired.

    The final big hand, on which I got lucky, came when we were down to five players. The blinds were 2-4K, and I made it 17000 with
    A-5 of diamonds, and 100K in front of me. Buster Jackson then moved in with 90K. For two or three minutes, I sat there deep in thought and made the mistake of calling him- I should have known that the least he could have was A-K. He showed red queens, the flop came with a diamond draw, and the flush card hit on the river.

    When it got to three players, the others being Max Stern and Bill Seymour, we quickly worked out a deal based on chip count, then played it out. I managed to knock Max out with Q-10 of diamonds, then had just enough to outlast Bill and bring home the bacon. By then, it was 3.00 am and we'd been playing for seventeen hours. No Omaha for me next morning!

    Guess Kathy (my comrade-in-arms from the sat) backed the right
    horse this time. It's been eleven days and I still can hardly believe it!!


X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.