PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Limit Omaha/8 Tournament

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limit Omaha/8 Tournament

I played at Rio Rita and Joe All-in's semi-regular Tuesday night tournament here in Austin last night and for once I made out like a bandit. I arrived late and missed the first few hands including my blinds and then proceeded to sit through another 10 or so hands without paying for a flop or turn. After the blinds started going up I got a few hands and given my tight early play I was even given a little respect. It also helped that I choose to play only quality hands early on. (Thanks Rolf!)

I was only up a little bit when my first interesting hand hit. I caught a straight on the turn but when it came it also put 3 clubs on the board. But since I had the naked A of clubs I quickly raised a bet into me and that raise successfully folded out a J high flush behind me. That pot put me in good shape and from there I was able to pressure the table when I had position and I managed to build up a nice stack.

I was chip lead or thereabouts when we drew for position on the final table. With the higher blinds I was gradually playing more hands and fortunately I was holding my own. I did hit a few potholes along the way, but making the money (top 3 were paid) was never in serious jeopardy.

When we got down to 3 players, however, things changed drastically. I was starting to wilt from the late hour and as tight as I played early on, I was playing that loose at the end. I got short stacked and looked to be out, but I rivered a straight on one hand and caught a runner runner low on another to stay alive. Through dogged determination and luck I was able to hang on and get to the heads up finale.

At this point I was seriously out chipped, but I got a couple of lucky hands and fought back to essentially tie for the chip lead. I suggested a 50-50 chop, but my opponent sensed my sleepiness and decided to play on. At first this seemed like a smart decision since he got the better of my for a bit. In fact only a couple of lucky chopped pots kept me alive.

Now we were taking turns going all-in on almost every hand. I finally scooped him for a small chip lead and then I got very lucky after deciding to play with a 345J. The flop was something like 23Q and I was in trouble. The turn was no help for a low and, in fact, gave my opponent two pair which he bet up. Then the river - an Ace! I didn't even have to bet as my opponent tossed in has last three chips. I called happily with the wheel and the 1st prize of $280 was mine.

Thanks PSO! I owe whatever meager Omaha8 chops that I have to playing and studying on this site. Tonight it paid off.
Working...
X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.