PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$200 NLHE Rebuy at the Sands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $200 NLHE Rebuy at the Sands

First, let me preface by saying that this was my first live tournament. Despite not finishing in the money, I had a blast!

500 chips to start. $200 rebuy anytime during first 3 rounds when chips fell at or below 500. $200 add-on for 1000 chips.

http://www.pokerpages.com/tournament/result8409.htm

Very early into the tournament, the blinds were 25/25. I found myself fortunate enough to check preflop while in the big blind. I held 3:s:4:s:, and was praying for a flop. The flop came A:s:Q:s:7:s:. Yes, I flopped a flush! The SB checked, and I bet 75 (the pot was 100 with 3 other players). The person immediately to my left moved all-in, and the other two folded immediately. This put me in a dilemna. Since he was UTG with no raise, I put this guy on an A or medium pocket pair -- either of which couldn't give him a made flush. I had to call, and I was releaved to see that he held AQ and two pair. Then the turn came, Q, giving him a full house. Well, that was my first and only rebuy. It was also my only bad beat.

Later, when the blinds were 25/50, I found myself in late position with AK off suit. There had been one caller immediately to my right, so I decided to move all in with approximately 500 chips. I expected to take it right there, but my stomach sank when the BB called and the original caller called. The BB had AK off suit as well, and the other guy had K9 suited. Phew! The flop came TJQ rainbow giving us all a straight. The turn and river were rags and the two of us with AK were happy to chop the other guy's chips.

The poor guy with K9 suited left the table, and an alternate sat down to my right. I lost some confidence when I saw who sat down next to me -- David Pham. David is currently ranked 2nd overall by CardPlayer magazine. Uh oh!

The blinds were 50/75 in the last round before the add-on, and I found myself with K:s:Q:d: on the button. One guy in mid position called. I called, the SB called, and the BB checked. The flop came K:d:Q:c:5:d:. A bet of 75 came from the person in mid position. I put him on a flush draw, and decided to move all-in with approximately 575 chips. The SB folded, the BB called (he had built a stack), and the original bettor called. I showed down my two pair. The BB held K:c:8:c:, and the other guy held A:d:7:d:. My two pair held up, and I tripled up.

After two hours, I made it past the rebuy period. By this time, I had chummed it up with most of the table including David Pham. He seems to be a very nice guy.

Most folks were purchasing the add-on, so I decided I needed to do the same to stay competitive with the up and coming 50/100 blinds. This put me at 2325 chips.

The fourth round of blinds were 50/100. The person under the gun bet 300. I was in mid position and held AK off suit. It came to me. I looked him down and asked him to count his chips. He had enough to cover me if it went the distance, and I had a bad feeling about this one. I folded my AK and he took the blinds uncontested. Then, he showed his pocket 8's. Granted, he had a slight advantage over me, but why didn't I at least call?!?! I had enough chips to see the flop. I'll never know, and I regret my play during that hand. Yes, I know. This was my first mistake of the tournament.

I was in the BB with 50/100 blinds, and everyone folded to David Pham in the SB. He called, and I checked. I had 2000+ in chips and David had approximately 3000-4000 chips. I had J4 suited and the flop came J33. David checked. I bet 200 - the size of the pot. David raised it to 500. Uh oh! Part of me said, "Fold, he's got a 3." The other part said, "He's been pushing the table around all day, he can't have the cards all the time." I called the additional 300. A 4 came on the turn, giving me two pair. David bet 500 again, and I quickly moved all in. He jumped back a bit, and I was hoping he'd fold, but he called and showed down his Q3 giving him trips. Even with the river card to come, I knew it was over. The river was a rag, and I complimented David on his game -- he's a solid player. He bet just enough to sucker me into a call to see the turn. I should have trusted my instincts when I thought he had the 3.

My last hand of the tourney proved to be my worst play -- a bit disappointing, but oh well. Even though I got knocked out early, at least I can tell people I got knocked out by a pro.

While I had a great time, I shouldn't have made my first tournament a rebuy tournament. I don't think I was prepared for it. Every hand before the add-on usually went for all of somebody's chips. The rebuy period proved to be extremely aggressive. I also wasn't happy with the 500 in starting chips and the seemingly high blinds, but I understand this is necessary to find a winner out of 322 participants in just 1 day. It was a $625 lesson, but a good lesson. Fortunately, the day before, I won $375 at the $3/6 hold-em table in the Taj, and $110 at the blackjack table. At least this kept my overall losses respectable.

-Ryan

Ryan,

Great report on your first tournament. Don't beat yourself up because you went out early.

You make the best decision you can under the circumstances. On your last hand against David. He had to make a great call of your all-in move. Your move sure looks like a full house to me and he called with trips. I think he just made a lucky decision, since you were not playing many hands. You flat called his flop raise and came over the top on the turn. That a big,tough call from any one (even with a big stack).

You play with the big guys some more and you'll see how big that call was from David. It's an either/or decision for him (coin flip). I think he was in a gambling mood.

Comment

Working...
    X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.